Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Free Member

The VHS records fine and the unit functions correctly except when recording to DVD discs. I cannot dub or record to DVD discs using the disk recommended by the manufacturer.

The recorder goes through all the steps when a disc is inserted but ends in error. The drive reads the disc, shows available space but fails on record to an error. I get these errors for different new blank discs; cannot record on this disc, E454040990 or E454037380. I was told that the optical laser lens was probably dirty or defective. So, I disassembled the DVD-RW drive and cleaned the laser lens but this did not correct the problem. There is no apparent damage, burned diodes or parts.

I am experienced with repairing computers and computer equipment. So, I am curious if the DVD drive can be replaced with a new drive like the ones used in computers.

- dbabyg

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Free Member

in all honesty i would ditch the Funai and get a decent recorder, like a JVC with an LSI chipset
even if you get the Funai working it still isnt good for doing VHS transfers
08-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Funai is one of the cheapest (both price and quality) DVD recorder makers still around, and combo decks are the flakiest of all DVD recorders. You're in double trouble. The drive has probably aged outside of being useful.

Then again, most manufacturers make stupid disc recommendations. Be very sure to only use the best media.
See the guide here: Blank DVD Media Quality Review

These are all-around horrible units for transferring VHS tapes to DVDs, as the DVD tends to look worse than the tape did. That's pathetic. DVDs can and should look better than the tape sources. The key to this is finding a quality DVD recorder known for making image quality better. This includes specific models from JVC and Toshiba, and are thoroughly discussed in past posts on the forum, and in guides on the site. Search for those.

Offhand, I recommend these...
- JVC: DR-M10, DR-M100, DR-MV1, DR-MV5, DR-MH30, DR-MH300
- Toshiba: RD-X34, RD-X35, KX-50

For the JVC combo decks, don't use the VCR. use a better external VCR for optimal archival quality.
See the guide here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

If you just have a few tapes (less than 40), consider paying a high-quality service to transfer them. It'll long-term be cheaper, and it will look/sound better.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Free Member

I just got a Pye recorder on Craigslist. Same problem: cannot record on this disc error.

Did you ever resolve the problem?
10-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFconn View Post
I just got a Pye recorder on Craigslist. Same problem: cannot record on this disc error.
Did you ever resolve the problem?
The original question asker never posted -- not even sure if he/she read what was written.

As per other replies, errors like this are almost always related to the choice of blank disc.
What are you using?
Refer to the blank media guide: Blank DVD Media Quality Review

Virtually everything sold in local stores is now poor quality, unless you live near Fry's, Microcenter, Tigerdirect retail stores, etc.
Anything from Walmart, Best Buy, or office supply stores is likely very dodgy. The best media is almost entirely sold online only.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Free Member

Yes, that's my next step to get some recommended blanks per that link. Could be as simple as the recorder not liking my cheap Memorex blanks that I got from Staples probably 5 yrs or more ago.

crossing my fingers. thanx for the followup.
10-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Free Member

that is another crappy DVD recorder.
i stress enough : get a good DVD recorder
good units can be had for under $100 if you look around and are patient.
i just picked up a very nice JVC DR-M100 for $99 shipped- one of the best ever made