Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Free Member

I have a Panasonic AG-1980 PRO-LINE Desktop Editor/VCR unit that has been rarely used. Recently, I retieved it from storage and put a VHS tape in to digitize the video for safekeeping. However, when I attempted to remove the tape, the unit immediately powered down and an error code FO4 appeared on the front display Even after unplugging the power for an hour or so and turning the machine on again, the same thing continued to happen. After hours of frustration, I finally yanked the tape out with a couple of screwdrivers, likely damaging some thing inside the unit. With the tape removed, them same error code continues to appear on the screen. I would like to retain this machine for the TV tuner and signal passthrough /switching capabilities. I figure the VCR mechanism is likel;y unusuable anyway. Is there anyway to override/disconnect the VCR mechanism and reset the error code, so I can continue to use the other features of the unit?

-- merged --

I have a Panasonic AG-1980 PRO-LINE Desktop Editor/VCR unit that has been rarely used BUT ALWAYS FUNCTIONED FLAWLESSLY. Recently, I retrieved it from storage and put a VHS tape in to digitize the video for safekeeping. However, when I attempted to remove the tape, the unit immediately powered down and an error code FO4 appeared on the front display. Even after unplugging the power for an hour or so and turning the machine on again, the same thing continued to happen.

After hours of frustration, I finally yanked the tape out with a couple of screwdrivers, most likely damaging something inside the unit. With the tape removed, them same error code continues to appear on the screen. I would like to retain this machine for the TV tuner and signal passthrough /switching capabilities. I figure the VCR mechanism is likely unusable.

Is there anyway to override/disconnect the VCR mechanism and reset the error code, so I can continue to use the other features of the unit?

I MAY CONSIDER SELLING THIS UNIT FOR $150 OR BEST OFFER
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I merged your duplicate threads.

Error F04 is listed early in the Panasonic AG-1980 service manual.
Download: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...g1980p-service

Panasonic AG1980P Service Manual VSD9509M264.jpg

It's a tape jam that's detected during the power on self test.
The motor may be bad, or there may be something gumming up the works -- like a dust bunny.

$150 is a great price, should you decide to sell.
List it in the marketplace, if you do: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/marketplace/ .... it's free.

You can always send it off to a place like Jots, and get it professionally repaired for $150-250, depending on what's wrong, if you're unable to get it working yourself.

I would point out, however, that this unit cannot "passthrough" any of the TBC or other filters. Those only function on playback. The only thing passed through is uncorrected signals. The Panasonic ES10 DVD recorder is, by contrast, an example of one of the rare units that does pass through corrective filter processing.

... and welcome to the site.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
editor, pro, vcr, vhs