Quantcast JVC VCR seems to constantly track (re-track) tapes - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Free Member

Hello!

I have a JVC HR-S5902U that's been really good to me for the few years I've had it. Unfortunately it's begun giving me problems as of late The machine auto-tracks the tape while it plays (I don't even know if this thing will let me manually track!)...that has been a strong point of the machine up to this point. But lately, it seems like it's constantly tracking, and not accurately. I can put a pre-recorded VHS tape in that I know is in good shape, and it seems like it spends the entire duration of the tape moving briefly into the "sweet spot", moving out of the "sweet spot" until the picture's riddled with tracking lines/artifacts, then back into the "sweet spot". It didn't used to do this.

What does this symptom indicate? And, what can I do about it?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Free Member

have you gave the deck a good manual cleaning with chamois and alcohol?
does the deck have alot of hours on it?
08-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Free Member

Indeed I did just give her a good cleaning yesterday. I started noticing this problem a few months back when I didn't have time to really deal with it, so I just put the machine away for the time being. I pulled it back out yesterday, gave it a good cleaning, then discovered the tracking issue I'd noticed before was still there.

As for hours, I haven't kept track. I'll say I've put MUCH less on this machine than I have machines in the past, but that doesn't really mean much, so....I guess the correct answer is "I don't know"?
08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,849 Posts
Hi, and welcome.

The 5902 is actually one of the worst JVC unit, being a latter-generation 4600-4900, but with even cheaper parts inside. It was good for recording, but not playback. I used 3800s for years for recording, but palyback quality was blah. Better than a normal VHS VCR, yes, but not by much compared to JVC 7600+/9600+ units (or SR-V10/101).

It's not worth fixing if it has serious errors.

However, it sounds like typical JVC aging of the alignment. Every 2-3 year, most JVC decks a misaligned due to gravity. The positioning system isn't as exact as others. (This is a good thing, however, as it means you can purposely misalign JVC decks! Very useful for advanced restoration work.)

I've been using these decks for 15+ years now. Seen this over and over and over. Easy fix.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: AnalogDoughnuts (10-11-2021)
08-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the response

So what can I do? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but is this something I can fix myself or is that not advisable?