Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Free Member

So my Liteon DVD recorder is acting up. The door will open up numerous times before it stays closed, and often takes a few times of opening and closing the door before it recognizes the blank DVD. I have about 150 tapes to copy, and I do not think its gonna make it.

I have read on some other forums that there are some other drives that can replace the existing Model DDW-451S, but I think most will require "modding' the drive. If so, what drive should I upgrade with? I can try looking for an exact replacement drive on ebay - Right now I believe there is a refurbished drive with a "buy it now" of $129. Or finally, I can look for a new DVD recorder with better output, Toshiba rdr XS35. I see a few asking $150-$199?

What should I do?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-27-2014, 12:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
$129 seems stupid expensive for a replacement drive, especially since I think those are plain stock LiteOn drives of the era (4x-8x drives). And then you can flash your own firmware on it. That prices doesn't make any sense to me.

A Toshiba RDR-XS35 is nice, but not really for noisy VHS tapes. Commercial tapes are fine.

For $150-200 range, I'd look for a JVC DR-M10 or DR-M100 instead. You can get a good used one for that.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-27-2014, 07:00 AM
Free Member

Thanks LS.

I think the seller justifies the extra cost because the drive itself is not exactly the same physically as a normal internal pc drive you can pick up off the shelf. Most drives would need "modding" to fit properly, otherwise yeah, $129 is sort of ridiculous. Not sure how he does it, but his units use the correct housing.

I actually found a supposedly new (unopened box) JVC DR-m10s on Amazon that should arrive today. I paid $300. As long as it doesn't have the dreaded "loading bug" I should be pretty happy. With this as my new primary recorder (since this is considered on of the best) I can figure out what to do the the other drive. I'm thinking of running to Microcenter and picking up a bare drive and see what I can do with it. I do not want to hack it up. Once I am done with my project, I would like to sell my equipment and recoup some of my costs. That's of course after I am sure I don't need the equipment any more.

Thx
07-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Site Staff | Video

I'm curious if that JVC was actually new, and how it's fairing since your last post.

08-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Free Member

Well funny you might ask. I was out of town for work the last 10 weeks. When I got home, I noticed the player flashing "loading tape". Was kind of bummed, but I guess not to be unexpected. I unplugged it for a few days and it went away. I am pretty sure it was "new". If not they did a pretty good job re packaging it. The box looked perfect. The box tape looked original, as well as the contents of the player (remote, user guide ect). Since I believe the issue is due to bad caps, I think I will drop it off to a local vendor that has been mentioned here (starlite tv in st. Clair shores MI). I am going to drop off a small bedroom tv- oddly enough with a bad power supply (yup - bad caps), so I will ask how much it might cost. I think it will be worth it, since I have plenty of vhs tapes that I need to capture. Stay tuned.
08-22-2014, 04:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

When you're gone for that long, you need to unplug it.

Also be sure the power saving mode is set to actually turn the machine off -- not leave it in a vampire mode. I forget if that's ON or OFF -- it's whatever the default isn't. I'd have to search the forum and read my own posts to see which is correct. So I leave that for you to do.

LOADING is almost always bad caps. And yes, it's worth it for that deck.