Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Free Member

My AG1980 has the split plastic piece on the loading motor shaft (along with a lot of oil).

Interesting the the only sources of that specific part (VDP1434 PANASONIC COUPLING FOR LOADING MOTOR) appear to be outside the USA. Around US$8 with shipping.

How well does the super glue fix work?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-25-2017, 12:13 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
My AG1980 has the split plastic piece on the loading motor shaft (along with a lot of oil).

Interesting the the only sources of that specific part (VDP1434 PANASONIC COUPLING FOR LOADING MOTOR) appear to be outside the USA. Around US$8 with shipping.

How well does the super glue fix work?
I pulled the cassette loading motor out of my malfunctioning K mechanism and found the little plastic piece (VDP1434) was not broken, I actually suspect a mode switch for that mechanism (tbd). I did find the little plastic piece oily. Quasipal did I think say that oil is bad there. Easy enough to clean the oil off.

I would think $8 is not too much for a new gear delivered as opposed to glue but how to determine which one is a quality part not a cheap knock off?

Mode switch VSS0365 is listed online for $6.93 contact info for that company is in California. Where to order from?
07-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Free Member

Did you try cry cleaning the contacts on the position switch as Quasipal suggested.

Of the $8 for the tiny plastic (nylon?) part, $6 was shipping.

Attached is a photo of the cracked plastic part on my system. The image was contrast-enhanced to better show the cracks and the oil in them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlasticCrack.JPG (27.4 KB, 31 downloads)
07-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Did you try cry cleaning the contacts on the position switch as Quasipal suggested.
No haven't got to that yet though I did receive my little jug of De-Oxit which is by the way not cheap.

The K mechanism that I suspect a mode switch is now assigned to AG-1980 that is still apart for caps. It makes sense to have a new part on hand though. When I put it back together I want to be able to rule out the mode switch completely. (or almost completely)
07-27-2017, 05:04 PM
Free Member

Just to add that super glue does not really work at all in this application due to the plastic type and that it is heavily stressed by pushing it onto the loading motor shaft.

One tip is winding 5 Amp fuse wire tightly around the plastic and tacking it with super glue. I did this once and it's still holding. May be an option but you must wind the wire tightly as any slack will prevent the two parts sliding together.
08-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Free Member

Would super glue on the shaft, before the cracked part is reinstalled work? Also perhaps griding the shaft a bit so it is not smooth and round.

In any case I have ordered the part.

-- merged --

The tiny part for the loading motor shaft arrived Thursday (took 2 weeks to receive it). Installed it in the AG-1980 on Friday, and it now loads/unloads properly!
08-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bever View Post
I would think $8 is not too much for a new gear delivered as opposed to glue
Good gel superglue is about $6 per tube. So $8 is is not far off.

Quote:
Did you try cry
Last time my AG-1980 quit working, I almost cried.

Quote:
and it now loads/unloads properly!
Glad to hear it.

I like having threads like this here. It gives me hope about 1980 failures that are solvable. Of course, hoping that I never run into the problem. These 1980 decks are so costly already.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Free Member

I'm sorry for bumping this old thread... but damn it! When following this method, I broke the connector of the ribbon cable when trying to lurke it out with a screwdriver :-( Does anyone have a leftover? ...or knows where I can get a new one? I really feel like the bigest moron right now

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171127_012806.jpg (35.9 KB, 68 downloads)
11-26-2017, 08:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Maybe. I do have a spare-parts deck. I'm not sure where that wire is, but I can look next week (Dec 4-8).

11-27-2017, 07:11 AM
Free Member

IF LS doesn't have one, I may have one in my parts box - but as LS said, where is that wire?
11-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Free Member

Oh, thank you very much to both of you
If I can buy it from one of you, you'll really save my life
Please let me know if you can find one of those

Another thing I wonder: It seems like I might need a new soft break. My capstain is very blank and shiny. Where can I order a new one?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171127_202926.jpg (106.9 KB, 68 downloads)
11-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Free Member

I may also have a new soft brake - but you need to let us know where the broken connector goes to and from as it wasn't clear from your photo.
11-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
I may also have a new soft brake - but you need to let us know where the broken connector goes to and from as it wasn't clear from your photo.
It would be great if you could get me a new soft brake also
Ah, of cource. It's the cable that goes from this connector (the red circle) of the Panasonic NV-HS1000:

...and this is where it goes to:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable plug.jpg (90.8 KB, 67 downloads)
File Type: jpg 20171128_010425.jpg (117.9 KB, 67 downloads)
11-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Oh wow, that's really deep in there, isn't it?

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: hysteriah (11-29-2017)
11-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Free Member

I have the very lead you need - lucky I keep everything isn't it! Yours for free - just pay postage. Came from an HS1000 too!

As to the soft brake, sorry I can't find one (only have G deck ones), although my suggestion is as follows. Lift up the pad and using a cotton bud (Q tip) dampened with a little isopropyl, wipe the braking surface and also where it rubs on the flywheel. The only problem this getting shiny causes is a squeal when stopping.
You can reline them if you are handy (as I often do) by cutting off the old pad and using soft fine leather - glued on with contact adhesive.
If possible look out on eBay for any K deck machine (bottom of the range is best - cheaper) and if you see a new / mint one at a cheap price, buy it and move over the whole capstan and soft brake - and lubricate the capstan at the same time. I covered this in my video. My experience is that one the flywheel gets a really polished circle then it is time to replace it.
Buying a second machine in mint or new condition means you have a whole raft of spares as the decks are identical - and it is WAY cheaper than buying the parts - if you can find them.

PM me your address and I'll pop the lead in a jiffy and quote you postage.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: hysteriah (11-29-2017), sevarre (04-28-2020)
11-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
I have the very lead you need - lucky I keep everything isn't it! Yours for free - just pay postage. Came from an HS1000 too!

As to the soft brake, sorry I can't find one (only have G deck ones), although my suggestion is as follows. Lift up the pad and using a cotton bud (Q tip) dampened with a little isopropyl, wipe the braking surface and also where it rubs on the flywheel. The only problem this getting shiny causes is a squeal when stopping.
You can reline them if you are handy (as I often do) by cutting off the old pad and using soft fine leather - glued on with contact adhesive.
If possible look out on eBay for any K deck machine (bottom of the range is best - cheaper) and if you see a new / mint one at a cheap price, buy it and move over the whole capstan and soft brake - and lubricate the capstan at the same time. I covered this in my video. My experience is that one the flywheel gets a really polished circle then it is time to replace it.
Buying a second machine in mint or new condition means you have a whole raft of spares as the decks are identical - and it is WAY cheaper than buying the parts - if you can find them.

PM me your address and I'll pop the lead in a jiffy and quote you postage.
Thanks A LOT, Quasipal. That's VERY kind of you ...and for very detailed description on what to do with the soft break also... and yes, a spare-part deck is a very good idea THANKS!
I'll send you a PM in a minute.
You really are an angel!
12-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Free Member

Connector is on its way to you now. Hope you get it fixed!
12-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Free Member

You're a lifesaver, Quasipal
Thanks A LOT!