Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman Send a message via Skype™ to Byteman
Hi guys!

I've recently bought almost working JVC HR-S6800EG S-VHS deck in good condition. It had some troubles woth leaked capacitors in audio and AMP circuits which was repaired without any problems, and it looked like previous owner misadjusted 2H Delay level (there were light sparks on the screen where dropout compensator should replace line with previous one). Now it is fully working deck (without remote now, but I've bought one on eBay and waiting for it).

I've found that there are many places on the Video Interface Assy without components. Some of them are for 4H Delay Line (4H DLY'D C, 4H PHASE, 4H LEV etc) and some of them are for part of recording circuitry (REC BELL, REC COL, PB BELL). It looks like this PCB design was also used for some similar deck but with greater functionality. Could someone tell which decks are similar to S6800 but have greater functions?

Best regards,
Alexander.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-26-2015, 05:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I'm wondering what you'll be using this VCR for, as it's not a suggested model.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-26-2015, 06:06 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to Byteman Send a message via Skype™ to Byteman
This deck is the only S-VHS deck that I own. In our country there is lack of good decks at all. There are only cheap china videoplayers, good decks are very rare. I had a possibility to bring Panasonic NV-HS1000 from Poland, but my friend who is trucker and can help me with shipping, is not able to bring this vcr soon... It is a good accident that I've bought this JVC deck in Belarus.

I am going to use this deck for digitizing tapes. Now I use restored Sony SLV-757 for good tapes (it gives me sharpest picture, I even able to make teletext captures from VHS tapes and recover almost 90% of teletext data from usual VHS tapes). For bad tapes I use Panasonic HV-FJ630 as it gives less sharper picture, but it recovers jams (replaces dropped lines from memory, JVC S6800 lacks this feature). For TBC (only on bad tapes) I use Digital-8 camera Sony DCR-TRV310 with LANC-to-LPT cable to have possibility to convert from analog to digital. As capture card I use AverMedia M-135A (I'm going to replace it with something which accept component video because of buying two BetacamSP decks). On my YT channel all the old videos were captured using this setup.

BTW, I've found this deck in list of good non-TBC decks (S6800 is in bold there).

Thanks!

Best regards,
Alexander.
02-09-2015, 01:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Off-topic:

I always thought Minsk was in Russia.

I guess long ago, when I learned geography, USSR was "Russia" to many, so Minsk was therefore "in Russia". I never realized that until I saw your post. Never thought about it. The same thing happened with Chernobyl. It wasn't Russia at all, but rather Ukraine. I guess it's time to relearn my geography!

Anyway,

I wish I could help more on the 6800 issue. That's just one deck that I never used.

Hopefully another site member can help...

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
2h delay, 4h delay, hr-s6800