Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-22-2015, 02:08 AM
Remembered

Quote:
but, we are talking about NV-HS1000/AG-4700 model here.
Okay.
Currently I have a AG4700 on video editing space.
When AG4700 and the HS1000 I have already removed the packaging from the power supply.
Weakness in both devices is the power supply turned pacts, the heat can not rise upwards.
Before capturing, I remove the 4 cover screws ... working without lid or put it on it at an angle.
A technician must check the AC adapter for damage.
See picture in my AG4700 Post 6
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Free Member

OP, did you get yours fixed yet?

I received mine yesterday and it was pretty banged up in the shipping (entire week across the continent from california). the seller only wrapped it in brown paper :-(

the cassette door was stuck closed, i assumed from shipping, as the seller didn't mention this. however, since i'm a good googler, i found a fix for that on the net (nope, not on this forum): reinstall the front panel (held by 1 screw and 8 clips) with the door wide open. it worked like a charm.

then i confirmed no video condition while there were no error codes (pulled by EJECT/REW/FF pressed together).
i took the power supply apart marveling at the quality of construction. all caps look like new and all voltages (without load) were within the specs. for a moment, i doubted the wisdom of the no video tip i posted earlier in this thread. but then i looked at the IC3 and IC4 solder points with a magnifying lens and sure enough, 3/5 points were cracked on the IC3 side (12V supply). i re-soldered them all including IC4 (5V) for good measure and all is good, VCR functions OK and video is working. no time to test more as it was about midnight when i finished putting it together.

i looked closely at the preamplifier, mainboard and TBC board and no signs of any SMD caps whatsoever. granted i did not look at the YC board as it's all covered and hidden. i suspect all that SMD cap fear mongering we heard here doesn't apply to this VCR. this was made in 1996, maybe the SMD were used only later by panasonic?

BTW, the head cleaning wheel (and the rest of the unit) is pristine clean. the VCR was either hardly used or cleaned/refurbished before the sale. I suspect the former as PAL VCR shouldn't be used much in a NTSC country.
08-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Free Member

The shop actually called me a few hours ago to let me know it had been fixed, though unless I get off work early tomorrow I probably won't be able to pick it up till Saturday. Apparently it's only going to cost me €38, so I'm curious to find out what the problem was.
08-25-2015, 05:11 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter847 View Post
The shop actually called me a few hours ago to let me know it had been fixed, though unless I get off work early tomorrow I probably won't be able to pick it up till Saturday. Apparently it's only going to cost me €38, so I'm curious to find out what the problem was.
A repair for about $50!?

Either he didn't do well, or he's not charging much for his time. Belgium, right? The income there isn't much different from USA, so it's not a case of labor just being cheaper.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-25-2015, 05:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
A repair for about $50!?

Either he didn't do well, or he's not charging much for his time. Belgium, right? The income there isn't much different from USA, so it's not a case of labor just being cheaper.
Well, it makes sense if this was a simple re-solder job (like i did) or even simpler fixing a lose connection.
08-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Free Member

Picked it up yesterday, and it was indeed a matter of resoldering *something* which had come loose under the circuit board (I didn't quite catch what exactly had broken). I plugged it in and played back a few minutes of tape when I got home, and boy is it ever a jump in quality compared to my old VCR. So once I actually get started on digitizing our tapes, I'll probably be back with more questions about the process.
08-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Free Member

thanks for the feedback. i'm also very pleased with results from this VCR. i posted frames from this vs regular (2 head) VCR here:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...mparo-vhs.html
08-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter847 View Post
Picked it up yesterday, and it was indeed a matter of resoldering *something*
Too bad we don't know what that something is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
Well, it makes sense if this was a simple re-solder job (like i did) or even simpler fixing a lose connection.
True. I had not considered that. My first thought is always the caps.

08-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Too bad we don't know what that something is.
i posted what that something is in the post #8. this is how the electronic repair works. 90% of the time there is a known, recurrent issue due to defects of specific components or designs.
08-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
i posted what that something is in the post #8.
I hate those BS "PDF sites" that prevent downloading.

09-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Free Member

I had exactly the same problem.. The two cables from the TBC unit (mounted underneath) to the main board are interchangeable, at least they are at the main board end. Some bright spark had put them round the wrong way!