Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Free Member

I recently bought a BR-7000UR and it has some issues.
Firstly, it will only play some tapes - factory (budget brand or major studio) or home recorded stuff doesn't make any difference. The tape plays for a few seconds (usually there's a brief picture shown), then it stops & the Warning Light comes on. I have to power the unit off & on to eject the tape. Those tapes that it will play - no probs and FF/REW quietly & quickly without incident. My ancient Mitsubishi HS-U51 plays all tapes without problems (tracking isn't as good though).

The second "problem" is the tracking adjustment. The unit only came with basic 2-3 page user guide. I presume that "optimal" tracking is in that small green band on the meter. When a tape is playing, I adjust this and there is some visual movement in the tracking that I can see on the picture. Perhaps it's just my lack of experience with units like this but I expected a more "dramatic" change in the tracking. Maybe someone with experience with the model can explain this. It may not be a "problem" at all. The counter doesn't work either but I think that its likely the belt.

I bought the unit for next to nothing - knowing it had galactic miles on it - and I expected that it needed a thorough head cleaning/demagnetizing & lubrication at the very least. So I'm wondering if the experts here can tell me if they think it's worth it to have it repaired (I know parts are hard to find) or just sell it on.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Free Member

Most or all of the "broadcast" decks only play SP mode tapes, but I assume you know that.
11-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Remembered

Quote:
knowing it had galactic miles on it
That is sure that this recorder to 7 days, and almost 24 Std.gelaufen is.
It is worth no repair.
Here was the successor model JVC BR-S522 + 622 + 822
A JVC BR-S525 had more than 2000 SFr. cost to repair .......
[inclusive my work]
so I disposed of him ... sent over Jordan;-)

but none displays the image as clean as the JVC BR-S811-E
Yes ... all mentioned here can only play in SP "Standard Play" movies.
In general, you can access the settings ......
Back on JVC BR Connection "Monitor Out" cable to connect to a control monitor ....... Read manual ... and the settings properly adjusted.
As the drum and capstan are displayed hours.

With a better consumer recorder plus AVT 8710 You'll certainly be better satisfied.
11-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Free Member

msgohan: I didn't know that these only play SP mode. Must have been confusing myself with all the stuff I'd read before I bought it. Come to think of it, only some the factory (studio) tapes played - I don't think any of the others (from TV) did & most of those would unfortunately be in 6 hr - EP mode (quantity over quality) although many are on TDK EHG tape.

It still doesn't explain the poor picture quality.

Goldwingfahrer: Wie geht's? The "manual" I have is only 2 pages simply explaining what the buttons do. I had the video output through composite (BNC adaptor to RCA) direct to my television. I do not have an oscilloscope so I cannot use any of the Test Points.
11-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Remembered

Quote:
Goldwingfahrer: Wie geht's?
Danke,ganz gut,bin zufrieden [Thank you, very well, am satisfied ]

Here in the forum have been times asked for a manual for JVC BR7000.
Without result.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...br-7000ur.html

Here is a little film of the JVC BR 7000 from Poland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cckSlGou9lw

The description of the JVC BR 7000 is extremely lean.
And when I look at the back there, come the tears ... there's no connection [Monitor Out].
Here's a picture back JVC BR7000 + JVC BR-S522
Monitor out cable to the control panel or the TV can be adapted about 40 basic settings and also view the working hours.
Sorry .... Get another player device, your recorder is just a "duplicator"
and certainly not to be used as a "feeder".

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/t...&feature_id=02

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JVC-BR-7000UA-NTSC.jpg (55.2 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2.JVC-BR-S522.jpg (72.4 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg 3.Betriebsstunden.jpg (27.7 KB, 3 downloads)
11-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Free Member

Danke, Goldwingfahrer. Good news is that I didn't pay very much for it. I tested some more Factory tapes. Most played, some were OK but some did not play at all. It still has tracking issues, and the colour adjustment doesn't seem to do anything. The hard part now is deciding whether or not to get rid of it. Shipping would probably be astronomical (it weighs a ton) and would probably put off most buyers even if it was just a parts machine.
12-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
A lot of these old workhorse recorders have been to hell and back.
Abused.
Ridden hard and put away wet.
Insert cliche here.

Once you open them up, they often fall apart, being in such poor shape.

And yes, SP only, in most cases.

Many of then make for great boat anchors.

It's why I made this list: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs