Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Free Member

I’m trying to figure out how to get a JVC HR-S8000U to function. It turns off about 10 seconds after hitting the power button. It will not accept a VHS tape, nor does it make any sound when it is turned on. When it is plugged in it will immediately try to start but will always shut down after 10 seconds.

I was told when I purchased it that it was working, meaning a tape could be played in it.

I took the unit to a VCR repair shop and the tech there said he wasn’t sure what was wrong, but he thought it could be a bad CPU. He also said maybe condensation could cause this problem and to leave it in a closed car for several hours to clear it up. (That didn’t work).

This is a JVC but when he first opened up the unit he said that it was a Hitachi.

Anyway, can anyone give me some advice as to how I can determine how to fix this unit? Or should it just be discarded? I assume a new CPU for it cannot be purchased or perhaps it just isn’t worth it for such an old machine.

We had wanted to use this VCR to transfer several VHS tapes to our computer.

If you need any more info to solve this problem just let me know.

Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Free Member

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...0am-keeps.html
11-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Free Member

Thanks X77X for the link, but I’m still not having any luck. I’m not sure if the suggestions in that thread apply to this old of a model. The gears below the head appear to be OK (not cracked), though I can’t move them regardless of whether the machine is plugged in or not, or the power is on or off, or with or without a tape in the unit. The front panel display of this HR-S8000u stays on for more that 3 seconds before it goes out, but the power button never lights up. I don’t think this model has the dynamic drum system which seems to have the gear problem in the thread you linked to.

Any other ideas before I send this VCR to the e-waste?
11-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Free Member

the gears are jammed

see the two worm gears?
i pushed them back into place, then it worked again

mine did the same thing, turned on 3 seconds, then powered down

those gears are messed up somehow
11-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Free Member

I’m not sure we’re looking at the same model. I’ve attached images that may help.

This is a HR-S8000U. The first picture shows where I’ve been searching for those gears (bottom plate removed). The top right circle in that image shows were the only worm gear is I can see. (The third image shows it closer up). All the gears in that area move both ways but stop after several turns — not even a quarter rotation of the large gears.

The gears near the head won’t move because of two metal cogs (smaller circle in first image and close-up in the second image) keep them from moving.

None of these gears are visible from the top side. I have no idea how all these elements work together.

Is this the unit you were able to fix? If so, can you direct me to what I should do next?

Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HR-S8000-1.jpg (199.0 KB, 49 downloads)
File Type: jpg HR-S8000-2.jpg (178.7 KB, 37 downloads)
File Type: jpg HR-S8000-3.jpg (163.6 KB, 37 downloads)
11-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Free Member

i figured you has the dynamic drum... my bad

none the less, its probably powering down because a mechanical problem
01-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
The only time I ever read about this model is (1) it's broken, or (2) "wow, I bought one!"

I've yet to see somebody discussing it's use. This is a really old model JVC S-VHS (1980s), and lacks all the modern features that make S-VHS decks desirable. So I'm not sure why anybody has one. Nostalgia?

The "closed car" idea was really stupid. Never go to that tech again. The heat buildup could damage other parts.

It may not be the 3-second issue exactly, but it;s the same line of thought: something is stuck somewhere.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
hr-s8000u, shut down problem