Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Free Member

Hi Guys,

So just bought my first VCR in a long time to capture all my family videos. Based on the information I got from here, I bought the Panasonic NV-HS1000 on ebay (which apparently was working before it was posted to me).

Unfortunately no matter what settings I try use, or what VHS tape. I only get a black screen with a white haze at the top. This haze changes when i fast forward during play etc.

Audio works fine, and if I press edit menu or go to test signal (switch at back), that shows up on TV screen fine, which tells me my connection is ok.

I have tried

VCR > svideo > Canopus ADVC110 > Firewire > Laptop
VCR > Scart > LCD TV

Both results are exactly the same.

I have also opened up player to take a look, given the main head and anything dirty a clean (it wasnt bad at all). I cant see anything loose either. - Again to no avail though.

Dont want to have to send this back if I can help it, these VCRs rarely appear. Hoping someone might know something that can help me?

I attach pictures if this helps at all too. http://imgur.com/a/i143C

Appreciate your time and support
Thanks
Adam

-- merged --

Added a video for DEMO: https://youtu.be/W3HWedtHSvs
(Note I am pressing the edit menu on the VCR to bring up the menu

Reading on previous threads (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...nv-hs1000.html)

initial thoughts are:

Bad Caps (likely going to cost me the price of the VCR again to fix them)
Something coming loose during transit
Re-solder IC3 & IC4 in power supply.

Looking back I wish I tried harder at electronics in school as all these repairs are beyond my own skillset!

I might already be answering my own question, but maybe someone has some other suggestions?

Thanks again
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-23-2016, 05:31 AM
Free Member

If it was me I would definitely examine ic 3&4 like they say, and recap most of the power supply. I read that link and it does look like the possible issue. Either way if you want to keep this unit, you will have to get your hands dirty or pay someone to repair it. Not sure but I heard there are some bipolar caps in there too.
03-01-2016, 11:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
This is easily another common caps issue. It's getting more and more common as years go by, and the caps give up the ghost. Repair it, and the deck should be good for another 10-15 years, easy.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: AdamEurope (03-02-2016)