Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Free Member

They acted like I was speaking a different language, even after I showed them the broken cable. Oh well, I found it from a third-party seller at Walmart.com of all places. I had to buy a 10-pack, but it was only $8. Hopefully that works.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/47813593
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Free Member

Through Walmart! Now that's a bit of a surprise. I would have thought e-bay or Amazon more likely. And at $8 a bargain compared to most OEM electronic made-up ribbon cables.

Let us know how it works.
05-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Free Member

It turned out not to be quite the right size. Does anybody out there have a spare AG1980 that they're using for parts and would let me buy this cable from them? I can't find the right one anywhere online. I'm going to start a separate thread for this issue too, if that's ok.

-- merged --

The post about my missing cable veered off topic after I got the cable and still had problems. (Moderators, feel free to delete or lock that thread.)

It now won't play tapes. I have snow instead of picture and the SVHS light is inexplicably on when playing a regular VHS tape. Sound works though, as do video pass through and all recording modes. Just no video playback. The counter also intermittently changes to a "0 03 11" message while playing.

At my wit's end and starting to think I've wasted now nearly $300 on a dud. Almost ready to throw in the towel. Should never have bought it in the first place and now I can't afford any alternatives or to sink any more significant cash in this thing. :-(

EDIT: And one last question. Could the power supply be causing any of these issues? When I first tried to use the machine after getting all the parts and pieces back and shipped that I needed, that part of the VCR started giving off an awful chemical smell that it no longer is giving off. Before I did any of this, the power supply was also making a hissing noise that it no longer is.

I should add that I don't know for sure what was giving off the smell as I can't find any exploded or leaking capacitors anywhere.
05-20-2016, 05:51 AM
Free Member

The 11 of the "0 03 11" does not correspond to any of the service information displays documented in the FSM I have. But it dates to 1995 and there might be newer information available for later production models.

If everything works but playback I would look to the playback-only circuits and logic that switches between record and playback.

The power supply puts out 4 voltages, all unregulated; 4, 6, 14.6 and 38. I would expect a failure there to effect more than just playback.

The short term scent might have been solvent cooking off the repaired boards, or perhaps some component in the head amp board (next to the power supply). The head amp board contains some play-only circuits so it is worth checking

I guess this is why most folks recommend sending the full unit for repair rather than mixing in DIY if not an electronics technician - there is risk. And places like TGrant say they do not take on machines that have been DIY-ed. (But it might be worth a call anyway if your local tech cannot address it.) It boils down to what is the least cost way forward from where you are today. Sell the machine as not working or part it out and try for a different rehabilitated machine, or try get it fixed at some yet TBD cost.,
05-20-2016, 11:38 AM
Free Member

Would an issue with the head amp board cause the SVHS light to come on?
05-21-2016, 06:40 AM
Free Member

Probably not.

As I understand it, the S-VHS light is on except when a VHS tape is loaded (even if no tape is loaded). It is also not lit if the S-VHS switch on the door is in the OFF position (to force VHS recording on an S-VHS tape, no effect on playback).
05-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Free Member

I guess I'm screwed then. Somehow this doesn't sound like it's going to be an easy repair for anybody.
05-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Free Member

Based on your descriptions my guess is that it will be a relatively easy repair for a competent technician who is familiar with the AG-1980. Likely, but not assuredly, to take less than a couple hours on the bench. The problems are finding the technician and there is always the possibility that it could take more time.
05-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Free Member

Local guy wouldn't look at it, saying the TBC board probably wasn't done correctly and I need to send it back. SA wants another $200 to take in the whole thing which I don't have right now. I honestly just want to take a sledgehammer to the whole thing at this point. Nothing but frustration and disappointment.
05-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Free Member

Sending a board back only works if it is a problem with that specific board.

You might look at the solder side of the board carefully with a magnifying glass to see if you can spot any obvious soldering errors that short out traces. Beyond that possibility, it needs to find its way to competent technician with a well equipped bench.
08-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Free Member

Long time, no update. I ended up shipping the whole thing off to Southern Advantage. They said they tried everything they could think of to fix it and nothing worked. They suggested the main board went bad, which would cost more to replace than just buying a refurbished VCR.

So, they offered to sell me a refurbished unit for $585, minus the $217 I paid them previously for the individual boards I had sent them and minus $60 that they said they would pay to buy my old machine for them to use for parts. Does this all seem reasonable and fair?
08-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
In 1999-2001, the lowest price on the AG-1980P new was $849 to $949, and that was from a shady New York camera store that you should avoid at all costs. (Those stores would open a box and remove things, upsell you, and were generally rude yankees. To this day, you should avoid NY photo/video stores, for that reason, aside from Adorama and B&H).

The MSRP was about 10-20% higher cost. So a new machine was over $1k.

If you consider that, a new machine for $585 is fine.

Once upon a time, $250 to $300 was the eBay fair market rate for a problem-free machine. But that was 10 years ago, before bad caps started to be a near-certainty on used machines. Back then, faulty machines were $150 to $250, and repairs were about $200.

But now, in the mid 2010s, workable machines are $200-300, and repair is another $200-300.

I think the increase prices in the last 5-10 years sucks, but that's what's happened.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
In 1999-2001, the lowest price on the AG-1980P new was $849 to $949, and that was from a shady New York camera store that you should avoid at all costs. (Those stores would open a box and remove things, upsell you, and were generally rude yankees. To this day, you should avoid NY photo/video stores, for that reason, aside from Adorama and B&H).

The MSRP was about 10-20% higher cost. So a new machine was over $1k.

If you consider that, a new machine for $585 is fine.

Once upon a time, $250 to $300 was the eBay fair market rate for a problem-free machine. But that was 10 years ago, before bad caps started to be a near-certainty on used machines. Back then, faulty machines were $150 to $250, and repairs were about $200.

But now, in the mid 2010s, workable machines are $200-300, and repair is another $200-300.

I think the increase prices in the last 5-10 years sucks, but that's what's happened.
The more I think about it, the more I agree. And say what you will about Southern Advantage's skills, their customer service has been nothing short of excellent. Plus, the refurbished unit will come with a one year warranty. I think I'll go with their offer.

-- merged --

I have the refurbished unit now. But now I have another question. It seems like almost every tape I try with TBC on either has awful vertical jitter or the entire picture vertically rolls constantly. Is that normal?

Here are some clips. In both instances, the first half of the clip is with TBC off and the second half is with TBC on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl89ptquBXg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS8ZupLCrHQ
08-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpeck View Post
Here are some clips. In both instances, the first half of the clip is with TBC off and the second half is with TBC on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl89ptquBXg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS8ZupLCrHQ
Looks like alignment
08-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Free Member

Do you have an external full frame TBC in the signal path?
08-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Do you have an external full frame TBC in the signal path?
I have one, but I took it out for the purposes of the clips. It helps somewhat when the VCR's TBC is not engaged (but introduces some flagging) and does nothing when the Panasonic's TBC is on.
08-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Free Member

Is the image stable when viewed on a SD TV?
08-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Is the image stable when viewed on a SD TV?
I have no way to know that. I no longer own one.
08-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Free Member

Then as a SD signal fed to a HD TV, both as a s-video (or composite if no s-video terminal) and as a RF signal to the TV's tuner.
08-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Then as a SD signal fed to a HD TV, both as a s-video (or composite if no s-video terminal) and as a RF signal to the TV's tuner.
Svideo to HDTV looks exactly the same as it does on computer. Haven't tried RF. Can later if it makes a difference.

No difference on RF. Every tape I have tried, even ones I know to be in good quality, has at least some vertical jitter, both with and without TBC.