Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Free Member

I have been using a JVC SR-V10U to record tapes to DVD. It has worked well with most tapes, but recently it started having problems with any tape. I've tried a lot of different tapes but all I can see is the dreaded blue screen. I've gone through the menu and made adjustments and cleaned the heads but nothing has helped. I'm wondering if the unit is just showing it's age, or if there's some other type of adjustment that can be made. I can FF and REV and the video appears but in PLAY mode it's just a blue screen. Does anyone have any explanation or advice? Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-11-2017, 05:22 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Unsure.

One of the SR-V10U decks here started to not play tapes about a year ago. Because there are multiple VCRs available, it's simply not been used. We've not yet had time to look into it. This VCR wasn't giving a solid blue screen, but some sort of distorted signal when a tape was played. It looked like the old cable channels that were being scrambled. If you had cable in the 80s or 90s, you surely saw this effect. The blue screen was intermittent.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-07-2018, 08:01 AM
Free Member

I’m having the same issue. This occurred a few years back and I couldn’t get it to work. I got it out again and it seemed to work fine. Now it’s doing the same thing where it shows video in FF and REV, but only blue screen in play.
08-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Free Member

I ended up sending this unit to Deter to have him look at it. There were issues with the heads which were causing the problem and would have been expensive to fix. So I traded him for a different model (HR-S9900U) that he had refurbished. This unit has worked great. You might message him and discuss the options.
08-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Simple thing to try since it gets overlooked. If it hasn't been done already, try cleaning the fixed head for the linear audio and control track (its between the video head and the pinch roller in the tape transport).