Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-13-2017, 04:18 AM
Premium Member

I bought a dud ES10 on eBay a while back. Finally bought a replacement. Didn't come with a remote, but I figure I've already got a remote from the dud so I can use that.

Except it doesn't work. It turns my brand new Panasonic DMP-BDT380 on and off - would probably do more if I tried - but I can't get it to interact with the ES10 at all. I've tried changing the remote code and no display shows up for what to change it to on the ES10 (although "SET 1" appears on the Blu-Ray player).

I found a manual to try and troubleshoot...and the remote depicted there only vaguely resembles the remote I have (attached). Searching for 'Panasonic ES10' on eBay and sorting by lowest price first returns a lot of remotes with yet another design.

Is this remote supposed to work? Do I need to buy another? Will one of the cheaper ones do, or do I need to find the one pictured in that manual?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-02-13 17.58.44.jpg (56.9 KB, 12 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-13-2017, 04:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Not sure. It doesn't appear 100% correct.
This should work: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...-/322421663353

Notice some buttons are different. Same look at a glance, but not the same functions.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-13-2017, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

$50 for a remote is...steep.

*sigh*

I loathe that first seller. A 'tested working' ES10 with a circuit board snapped in half and a non-functional remote with flat batteries.
02-13-2017, 06:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

It should be $15 shipped, not $50.
And a simple remote won't cost more than another $15 at most to ship. At least I'd hope so.

02-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

$15 shipped to you, yes. But with currency conversion and priority international shipping, it ended up at $AU49.22.

I love living here. At least I should get it pretty quickly for that extra money...
02-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
I love living here.
Without getting too political, these days, yeah, I'd probably love it there too.

02-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Welp, problem. I was just flicking through the manual and the ES10 itself doesn't look like my unit, either. Seems I have one of these, which does in fact use the remote I have. It's the same as the broken one, too.

So I've got a remote that's a dud for no reason and a new remote on the way that probably won't work...this is not going very well.
02-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Panasonic is a lot like JVC is some ways. They have somewhat generic remotes for entire model lines.
I bet that new remote will work.

02-13-2017, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Well, the ES10 remote powers my new Blu-Ray player on and off, and I can pull up the "SET [REMOTECODE]" display on the front.

I can do the same with my previous Blu-Ray player's remote. And obviously the remote for the current Blu-Ray player.

The ES10 does not respond in any way to any of this.

It has to be another dud ES10, right? I thought it might just be that it was the wrong remote but given that it is in fact the right remote and it operates my new BD player...whatever is in the ES10 to receive the remote signal must not be working. The front panel buttons all work, but that's it.

If so, that $50 remote won't work. And I'm out another $200 for another ES10. EDIT: And the ink and paper used printing off the manual for the wrong model.

This is ridiculous.
02-13-2017, 11:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Does it work without the remote?

Most likely those "duds" just need minor cap replacements. So don't trash them. If I had two broken unit, and was considering discarding them, I'd first try my hand at soldering a repair.

The worst you can do is catch it on fire -- which I've done, which is why I mostly avoid soldering.

You've spent a lot of time fiddling with video. What's another learning project?

02-14-2017, 01:40 AM
Premium Member

It powers up, unlike the last one. Not exactly a lot of buttons on the front, though. I powered it up and tried to run a tape through it but I just got a black screen. One presumes it's set to the wrong input. I might try throwing random cables at it, see if I can get a picture. Still useless if I can't get the S-Video in working (and did I read somewhere that it has to be a specific one of the two S-Video ports?), but it would narrow things down.

My dad's decent with electronics, so I ordered a cap replacement kit and took the first one over to his place. We figured we were wasting our time once we opened it up and saw a circuit board almost completely snapped in half, but gave it a whirl anyway and no dice.

Unfortunately this was months after I bought it, so it was too late to make a complaint. I got two VCRs and the ES10 on the same day and evidently neglected to test the ES10.

So...is it worth going over all that again or is it likely to be something else? It's more money, more time, etc, and with shipping times from the US the PayPal dispute window starts to get awful small. That said, I'm not sure if a complaint about the remote not working will fly on a unit that was specifically sold without a remote, even if we can narrow it down to an IR receiver issue (which I'm guessing is what it would be).

I'm waiting on a response from you in my Flickering Video thread, BTW. No rush, but you're obviously active.

EDIT: Okay, I can eject the tray and insert a disc, and it seems to be playing according to the front panel display. Can't seem to get a picture to come out of it though.

-- merged --

Well so much for priority shipping, the tracking info says the new remote is still two weeks away.

And I'm still not optimistic about it working, given that the remote specifically designed for this unit doesn't work, nor do two other Panasonic remotes, yet all three function just fine with my Blu-Ray player.

Is there any way to operate this without the remote? I tried putting a disc in but couldn't figure a way to get it to display on my TV. Given that, is it likely it's a complete dud? Or could there be a setting in there somehow affecting the video output?

eBay description says it was fully tested and working, but surely that can't be right if I can't even get a picture, never mind the remote issues?
02-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

I ordered something from UK, and it was sent "Priority" -- and it took 3 weeks to get here.

And I sent something "Priority" (International) that took longer than First Class International to the same country.

Honestly, USA/Australia tends to be one of the better shipping paths.

The default settings of the ES10 are crappy, and I'm not surprised you get no picture. And without a remote, it's a paperweight. If it powers on, it probably is fine. The biggest issue with the ES10 is failing caps, and it would fail to turn on. But it's nowhere near as common as JVC LSI DVD recorder or AG-1980P VCRs.

Or, apparently, somebody using it to practice karate (chopping boards in half).

02-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

The last thing I had sent priority took mere days. Things from the UK sent regular used to only take a couple of days but I've been waiting on a book for a couple of weeks now - tracking info says that was supposed to be here yesterday. Maybe my house is invisible to other people or something.

Why is it unsurprising to get no picture? Surely there should at least be something coming through the 'out' cables?

It powers on, but if it's not responding to any of my remotes, it's useless.

Last time I had a 'not as described' eBay item eBay made me ship it back at my own expense in order to get a refund, but I would have lost money that way. Same will be true here, if that happens again. And the previous one was a case of outright fraud (ordered a DVD box set, got some loose DVDs), this was never sold with a remote in the first place.

I think I'm screwed here, again. I've completely blown my budget and I'm going to have to wait another six months or so to look at purchasing another ES10, and there aren't that many PAL ones available.
02-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
Well, the ES10 remote powers my new Blu-Ray player on and off, and I can pull up the "SET [REMOTECODE]" display on the front.
When the LED displays "SET" plus a number, it indicates that the remote control and main unit are using different codes. Change the code on the remote control.

Press and hold [ENTER] and the indicated number button at the same time for more than 2 seconds.

This is in from the user manual. I can't answer for the other component you mentioned.
02-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Premium Member

The SET [REMOTECODE] appears on my current Blu-Ray player when using the ES10 remote. It does not appear on the ES10.

I'm aware of the remote codes; it was my first thought when pressing the ES10 remote's power button turned my Blu-Ray player on but had no effect on the ES10. I thought perhaps the previous owner had set it to a different code, so I went to the manual to check the procedure and try it, but still couldn't get the ES10 to interact with the ES10 remote.

That's when I discovered my ES10 remote looked nothing like the one referred to in the manual, which turned out to be, presumably, due to US/EU design differences. I'm guessing I had a US manual up and an EU unit. Found the manual for my unit (ES10EB), and the remote looked correct.

So I can only assume there's an issue with the IR receiver in the ES10, plus whatever is causing no picture to come out of it when I play a disc or try to use it to pass VHS through (which may well merely be incorrect input/output settings but those can't be changed without a remote anyway).

Since the other remote is still two weeks away, I'm guessing my only recourse is to complain to the seller and hope it gets sorted without having to pay return shipping?
02-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

Your post #9 led me to believe the ES10 didn't even respond to the set code.

Line input 1 is on the back of the ES10. Line Input 2 is on the front. You should at least see the menus when you press Setup or Display. On the remote there is an "Input" or "Input Select" button that toggles between tuner and line inputs (it's on the ES15, anyway, which is very similar). I think you should see the input choice in the LED window.
02-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Your post #9 led me to believe the ES10 didn't even respond to the set code.
It doesn't. But my current Blu-Ray player (also a Panasonic) does.

Quote:
Line input 1 is on the back of the ES10. Line Input 2 is on the front. You should at least see the menus when you press Setup or Display. On the remote there is an "Input" or "Input Select" button that toggles between tuner and line inputs (it's on the ES15, anyway, which is very similar). I think you should see the input choice in the LED window.
The remote doesn't work, but there does seem to be a 1 to the left of the timer. I think I tried both component outputs, no dice on either.

EDIT: Tried SCART out, component out, composite out, and S-Video out, while playing a disc. Nothing. When I remove the disc there's a 1 next to where it says 'No Disc' on the display.

Last edited by koberulz; 02-22-2017 at 10:33 AM.
02-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

I fear that no output of any kind = a dud. Phooey. I had an ES15 that would scramble the image unless I thumped the case a few times. Finally got rid of it. Wasn't dirt cheap, either. I have another ES15 and ES10 from dealers with 100% seller ratings who specialize in a/v electronics and appeared to know what they were doing. If the seller also sells pots and pans and trailer hitches, don't go near 'em.
02-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Delightful.

0/2. Cannot afford for this to keep happening.
02-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

Don't feel alone. I've been through it several times.