06-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Free Member

I have a Panasonic FS200, and the display does not light when I turn on the VCR, there no screen nor audio when I connect it to the TV.
Now I've read some people saying in cases like this the problem could be the capacitors. Today I went to a repair local, and they told me it was more likely a broken microprocessor and wouldn't even try to fix it.
So what should I do? I'd hate to throw something like a FS200 (and the 160 bucks I pay for it).
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Free Member

Does the tape transport work, load tape, wind, rewind, appear to play (even if there is no audio/video output)? Did the system ever work while you had it?

Failed/failing capacitors can cause the display to be dim or totally unlit, and other significant issues as well, but the information presented is insufficient. In the case of my AG1980, failing capacitors resulted in a dim display, random shutdowns, and a bad output image, but there was video and audio output and normal tape handling. And the decline was progressive over time.

A repair, e.g., replacing capacitors on an AG1980, is generally not cheap if you have to pay someone to do it for you.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: Orientation (06-08-2017)
06-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Free Member

Thanks for answering. Yes, the head system works fine (seems to be the only working thing). I played the tape and then checked it with another VCR, and indeed, I confirmed the tape was played.
But there's no audio/video signal, like it was not connected (only tried with a home-made coax cable so far).
And, yes the display is totally unlit.
I got it just this way. It's obviously been overused, or kept in bad conditions, though it looks kind of good in the outside.
06-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Free Member

Can you try with analog cables? The RF output module might not be working.

What was the date of manufacture? Many of not most of the Panasonic units from the mid to end of the 1990 suffered from surface mount electrolytic capacitor problems.

Sounds like it may have been misrepresented (if sold as working in good order) and perhaps you have some recourse depending on how and where you bought it.

Could be some internal cables/connections are open or missing. But that means opening it up and recognizing what you are seeing.
06-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Free Member

Ok, I could make it "work". Definitely the home-made coaxial cable was "bad-made", I guess.
I used a S-Video connection and plugged it in to a S-Video/RCA adapter. And then, into the "composite video" input in my old TV.
I got picture but it was in black & white. No matter which VHS I tried, never got color. Here I attach some videos to show the kind of connection I used and the results.
Still, unlit display.
I could pause, rewind, stop, etc. I think TBC operated the times I turned it on. And the Jog/Shutlle worked as well, though I don't know if it was working with accuracy.
I tested the audio by using headphones in the phone plug. I don't have a RCA cable, but it was fine.

Now, I guess the capacitors need to be replaced. But how fine will it work afterwards?
Also, is the B&W picture because of the connection I'm using, or is because the deck needs to be repaired?
Anything else I should test/consider?

Attached Files
File Type: avi MVI_0148.AVI (56.11 MB, 18 downloads)
File Type: avi MVI_0149.AVI (4.42 MB, 7 downloads)
06-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Free Member

I can't tell from the video what the actual connection is, and whether or not the "S-Video/RCA adapter" actually does what it needs to do. A B&W-only image implies the color signal (C portion of the Y/C s-video) is not present. The typical capacitor issue resulted in poor color, but there still was some color with a lot of garbage with it. Mine showed barber pole-like artifacts in the image.

As a first step I would try find a good RF cable, and make sure the TV and VCR RF video output are set to the same channel. Next I would try find a TV with a S-video input, or the PAL systems adapter that connects to the AV connector on the back.

In any case getting a B&W image is an encouraging sign.
06-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Free Member

Why on earth can't you get real cables instead of wasting time adding extra variables?
06-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Free Member

Indeed, you must use the right cables at first. I would use a SCART to RCA (that is Composite video) adapter, switch the Normal > S-Video >Test switch to Normal position. Plug the adapter in SCART Euro AV. Then plug a RCA>RCA cable both in the adapter and in your TV. You should better use a coaxial 1 channel (Mono) RCA to RCA video cable, but for a short distance you can use 1 lead of a Stereo RCA > RCA audio cable as well. For example white colour RCA on both ends. I have a coaxial video RCA >RCA, but sometimes I split a stereo audio RCA from to wires to 2x1. It is not so common that a conversion from S-Video to RCA works. There are too many conditions involved.
06-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Free Member

On the FS200 it is almost unheard of for displays to fail due to capacitor problem, unlike AG1980.

You need to check PSU is outputting all voltages - workshop manual is available on this site. If any voltages are missing then you will get a problem. Also on the HD100 (1994) there is a transistor that fails giving no display, maybe the FS200 also has a similar problem component.
04-15-2022, 06:51 AM
Free Member

I got a similar problem with a JVC-HR-8600MS: no display of the front panel, other than that it works ok. I know i did change the front panel big's cable ribbon on the right because i did break it. Then it worked fine for a bit and then no display so i stopped using it. Now i want to fix that if someone can point me in the right direction. Photo below

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jvc-hr8600ms-paint.jpg (95.2 KB, 10 downloads)
04-16-2022, 07:43 AM
Free Member

A first step would be to find the service manual for the beast and then check for proper voltages to the display.

FWIW some VCR display circuit boards used a local voltage DC voltage step-up circuit to provide the DC voltage needed for the display. That may or may not apply in your case. Sudden loss of display could imply a lost connection rather than a gradually failing component as was common with the AG-1980.