Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-19-2017, 03:10 AM
Free Member

Can anyone tell me whether the take up and supply sensors in the 'K' deck are the same? Does anyone have the part number (I can't find it in either my NV-HS1000 manual or the 'K' deck manual). If genuine parts are not available what is a generic replacement?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-23-2017, 03:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I don't know. You may need to PM some past PAL-VCR-fixing members. Quasipal and juhok immediately come to mind, but I know there are more.

Don't ask in the PM, give a link to this thread!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-23-2017, 11:25 PM
Free Member

Thanks, LS,
I've discovered that they are different. After much searching I found I can buy the Take-up sensor but the supply sensor is 'discontinued'. Strangely though, I hit upon a web site which had a notice saying that from that very day the sensor (it's a phototransistor) would be available but the cost was listed as $0.00. I decided to order two units - the shipping was just $8.00 - and see what happened. I got a notice from Paypal telling me that the item has been shipped so I'm now waiting.

Just to prove, yet again, that none of this stuff is straightforward, I checked the service codes again and found that the sensors this time tested as OK! I then found that if I just lightly touched the ribbon cable connecting the pcb to the machine the service data numbers would randomly change. The change wasn't just in indication either - the loading motor responded to the changes.

I haven't pulled it apart yet to find out what's happening but I'm certain that when I touch the ribbon cable there is no movement of the cable at all. It's just the lightest possible touch (like an angel's kiss) where I touch the cable between thumb and finger, touching the two outer edges of the flat ribbon. I get the feeling that I'm adding capacitance to the circuit which causes the changes but logically the circuit should not be that sensitive.
The following users thank Bullabill for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-24-2017)
09-28-2017, 04:33 AM
Free Member

If you don't have any luck I have a pair you can have for nothing, just postage.
09-28-2017, 07:21 AM
Free Member

Thanks, Quasipal, I've set things in motion to buy a couple but I'm never sure 'til they're in my hand. If things go wrong I'll take you up on your generous offer.

I rechecked and found the supply sensor to be actually working but extremely sensitive. The very smallest amount of light causes it to operate, whereas just putting a piece of card between the IR light source and sensor is enough to switch the t/up sensor.
09-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Free Member

A bit late into the thread, but FWIW the AG-1980 service manual lists parts for the K-mechanism PC board. The "photo interrupter" is shown as 0N1387, and there are 2 of them shown.
10-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Free Member

They appear to be the reel motion sensors which detect whether the supply and take up reels are rotating. The sensors I need detect the tape beginning and end via the clear 'leader' section at each end of the tape.
If Quasipal's looking in I'd like to take up your offer, - I did find a supplier at a couple of dollars and $10.00 shipping, but he's now sent a message saying $10.00 shipping is no longer available and $30.00 is now the minimum! If you have a Paypal account I could pay you via that.
10-02-2017, 02:00 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullabill View Post
They appear to be the reel motion sensors which detect whether the supply and take up reels are rotating. The sensors I need detect the tape beginning and end via the clear 'leader' section at each end of the tape.
If Quasipal's looking in I'd like to take up your offer, - I did find a supplier at a couple of dollars and $10.00 shipping, but he's now sent a message saying $10.00 shipping is no longer available and $30.00 is now the minimum! If you have a Paypal account I could pay you via that.
Sure, I can send you out some K deck sensors. PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post. I'm away until Thursday so can send them then. Postage should be around $5 - I'm in the UK.
10-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Free Member

Main lever 2.jpg
Pic of my main lever - there's a piece of solder holding open the crack.

10-09-2017, 05:43 AM
Free Member

I have new and used main lever - PM'd.