Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-22-2017, 04:57 AM
Free Member

I put a bad tape in my Panasonic NV-HS860 VCR, and it stopped playing. So put another video in and the picture had all the comet tails, which is typical of dirty heads, so i guess this tape must've been dirty. I then cleaned them using foam q-tips and 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. When manually turning the drum i could feel the heads snagging a little when it was run against the q-tip.. don't know if i didn't wet it enough. But put another tape in and everything plays fine, picture looks great. Just when it's rewind/fast-forwarding it doesn't sound right to me, occasionally making a scraping sound (Possibly the reel tables?). I hope none of the tape heads have been snagged out of place and is scratching/damaging the tapes?

Anyway i've recorded the sounds to clarify if everything is normal, and nothing is wrong?

First audio clip is a full tape cycle, fast forwarded, then rewound. Second clip is the tape playing. Third is it playing right at the start of a tape (is the head noise supposed to sound like that?)

I've also taken a couple of pictures inside of the unit too. The white plastic spindle has some weird yellow residue on it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCR 1.jpg (86.3 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg VCR 2.jpg (84.9 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg VCR 3.jpg (60.5 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg VCR 4.jpg (56.5 KB, 4 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: wav Tape_Cycle.wav (30.43 MB, 0 downloads)
File Type: wav Tape_Playing.wav (3.14 MB, 0 downloads)
File Type: wav Tape_Playing_Start.wav (2.74 MB, 2 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-23-2017, 02:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
With Panasonic S-VHS decks, actually, no, its often not the heads. The caps are the culprit. Creating magnetic dropouts, aka comets, is a side effect. Deter just finished fixing on of my decks with that issue. Be aware of this. Sometimes, yes, it really is heads. But usually, no, it is not.

I think that "residue" is lube/grease.

Hopefully one of our VCR-repairing members will be in this thread shortly.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-25-2017, 08:30 AM
Free Member

Ah, it was working just fine until i put in that dodgy tape, when the sound went all funny then stopped playing altogether. The picture is all fine again since i cleaned the heads. Can the caps making the scraping noise damage the tapes?

Also on an unrelated note, i've been unable to log into premium membership, after the purchase.
09-25-2017, 08:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
Also on an unrelated note, i've been unable to log into premium membership, after the purchase.
Odd. PM me about this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs