Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Free Member

I have a Sony EVS-9000E that requires servicing.

There are two issues with it:

- the essential issue is that video no longer plays back. Instead, I get a blue screen or static. This may be related to tape load/transport issues where the load/eject mechanism is stuttering, and tape sometimes unspools inside the machine.

- the non-essential issue is that some capacitors have gone bad, that now disable one of the information panels on the device. It has worked fine without this visual display, so I don't consider this an essential repair.

Does anyone know of an experienced technician in London, or elsewhere in the United Kingdom, who might be able to service this VCR?

Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polygraph View Post
I have a Sony EVS-9000E that requires servicing.

There are two issues with it:

- the essential issue is that video no longer plays back. Instead, I get a blue screen or static. This may be related to tape load/transport issues where the load/eject mechanism is stuttering, and tape sometimes unspools inside the machine.

- the non-essential issue is that some capacitors have gone bad, that now disable one of the information panels on the device. It has worked fine without this visual display, so I don't consider this an essential repair.

Does anyone know of an experienced technician in London, or elsewhere in the United Kingdom, who might be able to service this VCR?

Thank you.
Hi, just out of interest how do you know that the display capacitors have gone bad? If this unit uses surface mount capacitors then they will likely all be bad - if some have gone, all will have gone. Sony and Panasonic had a real SMD capacitor problem in the 90's.
10-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Free Member

This unit was previously owned by forum member juhok, who fully described the problem when selling. He has previously had the machine serviced, and some capacitors have already been replaced.

When I received the machine, it had a bad cap smell when used for more than an hour at a time. The luminance of the slide-out panels display was inversely linked to how long it had been running. Now the display panel does not show, but there is also no longer a bad cap smell when using the machine.

Tags
hi8, repair, servicing, technician