Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Free Member

I'm happy to say I now have a fully operational Panasonic NV-HS950H. I wanted a high end S-SVHS player to compliment my other collection of not current media such as Laserdisc etc. (won't say obsolete) Had to look good and be a sturdy serviceable platform for playing my growing collection of 80/90's era films.. After a bit of research a decent Panasonic was the target and the search began. Dropped on the above on ebay locally for £30 apparently not having much use, completed boxed and in mint condition apart from it not playing and chewing tapes. In my head thinking it's got to be something simple if it's not has much use, especially as it had stored in the house.

Machine was in bits the same day hunting for something obvious but to no avail. So a few chewed tapes later I turned to google and found the info I needed on this forum thanks to Quasipal in one of his threads. The motor coupling he described as the usual issue was indeed the problem. The thread in turn that led me to his youtube channel which I used to service the unit, removing the cleaning mechanism, cleaning the heads and re lubing any dry grease. I also used a service manual online to realign the gears in the mechanism as a couple were a tooth out. With this done it was time to source a coupling which I was struggling with unless a purchased a lot of them. Quasipal came to my rescue again and offered to supply me with the much needed part.

The part arrived a couple of days later and it was all reassembled a few minutes later and working flawlessly. I'm really impressed with the quality of the player! Big thank you to Quasipal, check out his youtube channel VintageLynx.
The following users thank Travill for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-04-2017), Quasipal (11-15-2017)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Free Member

Glad my guide helped you. I had not done anything like that before so wasn't sure if I was clear enough. The HS950 is probably my favourite Panasonic domestic SVHS deck and I have one as my main playback unit. Some had lower drum problems (tape makes bumping sound on rewind and FF) but otherwise they are solid and dependable. Thanks again for the kind words.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-04-2017)