12-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I had a perfectly working JVC HR-7600EU PAL VCR that I used to convert all of my PAL videos with. I listed it on Ebay a day after I completed all of my captures. It was working without an issue at the time of sale, but when the buyer received it, apparently it was not working The VCR would not accept VHS tapes. You can insert the tape but nothing happens, it doesn't feed the VHS tape into the VCR. It doesnt produce any sound or no motor movement when I input a VHS tape, the tape just sits somewhat inserted into the VCR.

I had him send me a video of it to confirm that the VCR was not accepting tapes. I accepted the return and assume something must have happened during shipping. It is now back in my possession and I cant figure this out.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Free Member

I am no vcr repair person, zero experience.

Someone better than I will probably have a better answer for you.

But I recall reading some place that there is a plastic part on the shaft of the loading motor mechanism on some vcrs that tends to age and crack eventually leading to total slippage.

I don't know your model or mechanism and have no service manual.. but if it is that part, the only solution is to replace that shaft coupler.

(I think) the person who mentioned it said he ran a repair shop and it happened so often that every vcr that came in he automatically replaced the part and lubricated the mechanism before even thinking about inserting a tape for testing.

His discription of the failure mode sounded very similar, either a partial or total failure to load and despool tape into the tape path for playback. -- the "worse" case being a partial loading and despooling that led to "eating tape".. so you might count yourself and the buyer "lucky".

I would suggest one of two decision paths.

1. relist for parts or non-working only (the cheaper option)

2. find a good reputable repair shop to look at and repair, or at least evaluate the situation (the more expensive option)

I would "not" consider fixing a loading mechanism a do it yourself job, even if you can source the parts. There are too many adjustments to misalign or sensors (electrical and mechanical) to break. Real repair experience with the specific model is worth it.. I don't trust my repair skills on a vcr.

My opinion is my opinon and others will no doubt disagree.. you can always find someone to tell you what you want to hear. But most repair shops will not accept a vcr for repair that has been previously "self" repaired.. the risks are too great.

Last edited by jwillis84; 12-15-2017 at 05:58 PM.
12-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
@jwillis, you refer to the dynamic drum issue, and how it will shut off in 3 seconds due to not spinning. This issue doesn't even go that far, so that's not it.

More likely is a blown fuse. Question is, does it power on at all? If so, that's probably not it either.

BTW, if you can fix that PAL deck, I may have a buyer for it. Depends on the price.

Another potential issue is the eBay buyer screwed you, and took some parts from the deck. That happens. Lots of SOB buyers and seller both on eBay. It's just not a good place to do business, a last resort only.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
But I recall reading some place that there is a plastic part on the shaft of the loading motor mechanism on some vcrs...
That was an issue on the AG1980 for sure. The 7600 likely has a different loading motor system (the 9600 does) and the same issue might not apply

Does the machine still power up?
Does the tuner section work?
With the case open do you see any movement inside when the power is initially turned on? when the tape is inserted?
12-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
@jwillis, you refer to the dynamic drum issue, and how it will shut off in 3 seconds due to not spinning. This issue doesn't even go that far, so that's not it.

More likely is a blown fuse. Question is, does it power on at all? If so, that's probably not it either.

BTW, if you can fix that PAL deck, I may have a buyer for it. Depends on the price.

Another potential issue is the eBay buyer screwed you, and took some parts from the deck. That happens. Lots of SOB buyers and seller both on eBay. It's just not a good place to do business, a last resort only.
The VCR powers on and all of the functions except the VHS feed work perfectly. I bought it brand new a few years ago and it was in storage until last month when I decided its finally time to capture my tapes. I literally just used it to capture 5-10 VHS tapes. I used it the day before I shipped it out to the eBay purchaser. I don't think there was any foul play with the purchaser, he had great ratings and we were in constant communication. He wanted to fix the issue as much as I wanted him to not return it. I think something must have happened during shipping. USPS only covered $50 cause I didint think it was worth adding any more insurance to the package Lesson learned.

The purchaser sent me this video (essentially shows him turning it on, attempting to insert a VHS tape etc...)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8mJvsr0YHWFsQ0dz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
That was an issue on the AG1980 for sure. The 7600 likely has a different loading motor system (the 9600 does) and the same issue might not apply

Does the machine still power up?
Does the tuner section work?
With the case open do you see any movement inside when the power is initially turned on? when the tape is inserted?
Everything works normally except the VHS feed. When I initially power the VCR on, there is no noise or movement. When I attempt to insert a VHS tape, nothing happens, there is zero response from the VCR, no noise, movement or anything.

I am in the process of moving and was hoping to get rid of all of my entire capture setup before the move (sold pretty much everything else I have except the TBC-4000 & Ati Wonder 600 USB). Was very excited when both my VHS players and TBC-1000 sold in the same weekend.

I would love to be able and try to troubleshoot it, but I don't know where to begin. I'm pretty tech savvy but I have no idea what could be causing this.

Here is a video of the issue https://photos.app.goo.gl/8mJvsr0YHWFsQ0dz2
12-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Shipping damage is likely. The head may be seized. Lots of possible issues.
I'm sending you a PM.

01-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

I think the motor inside is shot. I was able to hand-wind ingest a tape, but it would never fully seat properly. No attempt or ability to play/etc.

I purposely half@ss removed the tape, and left the transport in the mid position. A deck hates that, and would return it to start position when the sensor saw no tape was present. I tapped the motor with the screwdriver handle, just in case. I plugged it it, and the transport moved 50% of the way the quit. Nothing. More tapping did nothing.

Parts of this will be near impossible to acquire. (1) USA for PAL deck, (2) all VCRs are old now.

I'll have to full dismantle the deck to see the gear/bands on the underside. I highly doubt the gears are worn, as the gears I can see look almost new. Perhaps heat/cold made the band brittle, but I've never hard of one just breaking randomly in transit. If that is the case, the eBay buyer would have seen/hear something. Anything. You'd plug it in, put in a tape, then SNAP! -- and the tape stops and gets stuck.

The fuse was fine, first thing I checked.

The head isn't seized.

Being PAL in USA, I doubt a parts deck would ever sell on eBay. And PAL to PAL-land to costly to ship.

When it gets warmer this year, I'll take it out to my workbench and see what can be done to fix it. As of right now, it's DOA. But I've not given up yet.