Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Free Member

Japans power standards are "different" from the United States. They are actually "lower" in voltage at 100 volt.

The SR-MV1 through SR-MV55 had a small(ish) problem where resistors reportedly overheated and seemed to lead to the dreaded "LOADING..." error and eventual death of the device. Also, overdriving a Laser Diode with too much voltage will lead to a shorter life, the DVD burners tended have short lifespans.

Curiously that seems like what you would expect if you were "overdriving" the device with too much voltage.

In some places in the United States like Texas, we have power that runs constantly 127 volts.. a full 27 volts over the Japan norm. The SR-MV55 power label says 120 V, 60 Hz so in theory it should tolerate a margin of overvoltage.

Perhaps from 100 V to 120 V but not much higher (20 volts is a lot of difference, 27 volts is even more).

I have previously replaced many computer power supplies in my systems (sourced from Taiwan and Japan).

Then I installed an APC Line-R to reduce the voltage to 111 volts.

I have not since had to replace a computer power supply in any of my systems for over 10 years.

If you have a JVC SR-MV1 through SR-MV55 device.. you might think about running them at a lower voltage.

The "best" advice however is still to leave them unplugged when not in use, and only power them up to use, or exercise their function from time to time. While they are running however.. you might consider the voltage they are running on.

Last edited by jwillis84; 01-15-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: reducing message length
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-03-2018, 10:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
TVA was always 126-128V constant, too. Here it's under 125V, and right now it's 124V.

Power quality also makes a difference. When on TVA, for several years, DataVideo didn't work without noise, and AVT-8710 was required. Also a reason I had so many AVT-8710s, but had preferred the DataVideo in earlier years. Then one day, the problem vanished. And why I partially swapped back to DataVideo again.

On TVA, APC was the UPS we used. Here, after a power grid switch, it killed every last APC. The power company reimburse us, and we switched to all Cyberpower.

And do you mean capacitors, not resistors? Not interchangeable terms -- something I was guilty of myself for many years.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Free Member

I can't confirm it, but the issue I read about was two specific resistors underneath the DVD drive.

The reporter put an infared thermometer on them and reported them running hot.

A different person reported that was on the service ticket froma JVC repair facility, replaced two resistors.

I'm a slow learner and won't keep second hand reporting things now.

My musings were that over voltage will damage and eventually destroy load components that can't shed enough heat.

My conclusions from observing the voltage standards, are that even with the UL badge, in the US we are often driving this equipment with higher than specified voltage. That might shorten their lifespan.. and the death cycle would look much like what was observed.

I'm taken things to heart and backing away from drawing uninformed conclusions.. this was one of the last ones.
02-03-2018, 11:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I'm sure that it is an uninformed conclusion. My knowledge of things gets sketchy in power conversations. I'm just a user of high-end video equipment, not the engineer that designed it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs