Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Free Member

I've found this site incredibly helpful as a lurker in the past but this is my first post. I hope that somebody might be able to help me with a temperamental Sony Umatic VP-7020 I recently acquired. I can insert a tape, it threads, but then the unit goes into standby. None of the functions work.

Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem will be very welcome.

Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Free Member

It's a pretty common problem, and it's likely the tape and not the deck. Here are some instructions on how to remove the tape without resorting to too much violence. http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03...guest-article/

Quote:
This is a step-by-step guide for the removal of U-matic Cassette from a Sony VP 7040/9000 U-matic Player by hand.

1 — Turn the power OFF.

2 — Remove the Upper-Case of the video player. Use a Phillips screwdriver to loosen the fixing screws. Then pull the Upper-Case in the direction marked by the red arrows shown here in picture 1.

01 Tape removal A Weisser.jpg

3 — Flip the covering board to the left side as shown below.

4 — Now you can see the tape wound around the tape guides and the tape drawer as shown in picture 2, below.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

5 — On the left side you can see the Gear Box. Turn the white pulley of the Gear Box in a clockwise direction by hand as shown here in picture 3.

02 Tape removal A Weisser.jpg

Make sure that you don’t touch the tape with your fingers. While turning the white pulley of the Gear Box the Drawer arms should slowly move on the Threading Ring in the STOP position. Turn the white pulley until the tape is no longer in contact with the tape guides and the Drawer arms as shown below in picture 4.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

6 — Carefully disconnect the wires from the Cassette-up Compartment from the board on the right side of the Cassette-up Compartment (marked with a red arrow on Picture 5, below).

03 Tape removal A Weisser.jpg

Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the fixing screws of the Cassette-up Compartment Stay. Remove the Cassette-up Compartment Stay carefully by hand.

7 — Now you can slowly lift the Cassette-up Compartment Block with the Cassette in it. Make sure, that the tape will not be scratched when removing the Cassette-up Compartment Block (Picture 6, below).

8 — Place the Cassette-up Compartment Block upside down on a table as shown below in Picture 7.

04 Tape removal A Weisser.jpg

Load the tape fully into the Cassette by turning the reel hub on the back of the Cassette by hand. Be careful to avoid uneven wind and wrinkling of the tape. Make sure that the tape lid does not close at this point!

9 — On the right side of the Cassette-up Compartment you can see the Gear Box of the Cassette-up Compartment Block as shown in picture 8, below.

Turn the white gear-wheel in a counterclockwise direction slowly by hand. Now the Cassette should be moving upwards to the EJECT position. The tape lid will close automatically at this point.

10 — Remove the Cassette from the Cassette-up Compartment.

11 — Put the Cassette-up Compartment back into the chassis. Insert the projections of the Cassette-up Compartment Block into the holes of the chassis (Picture 9, below).

05 Tape removal A Weisser.jpg

12 — Replace the Cassette-up Compartment Stay and connect the wires on the right side of the Cassette-up Compartment Block.

13 — Replace the Upper Case and fix it with the screws.

14 — Turn the power on. Check if the Player works again. Don’t use a Master-Tape for this procedure.

15 — If the trouble occurs again call your local Broadcast Service to check your Player.

03-13-2022, 07:41 PM
Free Member

I know this thread is pretty dead at this point but for anyone else with this problem, it could also be a stuck capstan locking mechanism. I wrote an ifixit guide on how to fix this problem on a VP-5000, linked here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+...Players/148473

All VP or VO 5,7, and 9000 series machines are pretty similar, and this guide should be useful for any of them.
The following users thank tfryer for this useful post: indy125 (03-27-2022), RobustReviews (03-13-2022)

Tags
sony, umatic, vp-7020