Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Free Member

Hi, I don't know if this is an appropriate question for a PM or not, but I'll try. I am (as is everyone these days) converting my old tapes to digital, and have been doing so with my JVC HR-S5000U that I bought in 1989. Well, it finally died. Sort of.

It plays fine for about 15 minutes, then begins to fade into solid snow. If I give it a rest for a day, then it seems OK, then failure repeats. I assume it is failing heads, but I thought it might not be worth the $$ to fix.

So, I started looking for a replacement, and I keep reading on this forum how important TBC is to retain quality. I'm not really sure what TBC is, or what it does, but I also read that the HR7000-HR9000 series models had TBC.

With that info under my belt, I found an HR-S8000U model on eBay and purchased it. This model seems to get a lot of good reviews everywhere that I looked, so I thought it might be my solution. However, I can't find anything online anywhere that specifically mentions this model and TBC in the same breath, so now I am not sure if I might have made a mistake. I haven't received it yet, so it may be the best VCR that I have ever owned, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

So, very long story short, can you tell me if this VCR has TBC or not? Thanks very much for your time.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Refer to: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs