04-13-2018, 06:50 AM
Free Member

I purchased a Panasonic NV-HS950 from Ebay, shich the seller said had issues ejecting tapes. No problem, I thought; probably just needs some grease. It turns out that the pinch roller keeps getting stuck, and I found that a workaround is to give it a firm push, and the tape goes on it's way.

My initial capture turned out pretty good. The picture was decent, given the problems I'd encountered on previous capture attempts using a regular VCR. My excitement was short lived though, because this 'new' VCR started introducing its own problems on this tape.

The picture will go snowy for a few seconds then come back. It always does this on the same section of tape as well. I know its definitely the vcr because I ruled out all other possibilities: I tried the tape in a regular VCR, and it's fine. I also bypassed my entire workflow, and plugged the machine into my old CRT TV both with the internal TBC on, and also with it off - same problem. So it's definitely the VCR.

I've also noticed that the VCR starts making a squealing noise from the head after it's been running for a while, so could it just be that my unit is dead?

I've attached the video of the bad capture. It's short, due to the file size limit, but hopefully will give an idea of the problem.

Attached Files
File Type: avi vcr problem1.00.00.avi (94.64 MB, 45 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
That's not snow. The VCR is losing the tracking for whatever reason. Potentially, something in the tape signal is awry, instructing the VCR to move tracking alignment. Rare, but I've seen that. More likely is the VCR itself is just in need of repair. Not dead, not trash -- just in need of a repair.

That's eBay for you. As I always mention, about 2/3rds of all VCRs on eBay are broken or in need maintenance (mostly the "for parts or repair" auctions). Of the 1/3rd claiming to be fine, "tested" or "working", about half are also duds. You've fallen in to that 5/6ths bad category.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-14-2018, 07:21 AM
Free Member

Good to know that there is hope for my machine! I don't suppose anyone would know of any places in the UK that would take a look at my machine?

I expect the cost of shipping it to the US + the cost of actually fixing it would fast outweigh the value of the machine itself.
04-14-2018, 07:45 AM
Free Member

Hi,

I own 3 HS950's presently and have had a fair few pass through my hands.

My guess is the following. Pinch roller sticking is likey the drive coupler split so insufficient torque output from the motor to move the mechanism. Quite an easy fix. May also be grease on the pinch roller shaft gone dry. You can feel this by waggling the roller assembly with the power off. Any gumminess is bad so remove the roller assembly and clean the hole and shaft with IPA and regrease with the thinnest smear of moly grease. If not sticking leave alone.

As to the squeal I think that you have a soft lower drum. Some HS950 machines had this. Symptoms are a bumping noise in rewind or FF plus squealing in bad cases. May be something else but I have had this before.

The problem cannot be remedied without fitting a new lower drum which are no longer available. What happens is instead of the tape gliding over the lower drum it sticks so the speed goes off and machine loses sync.

Id be happy to look it over for free and I'm in the UK. May be an easy fix. Just pay postage or drop it in. I'm in Hemel Hempstead.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-15-2018)
04-15-2018, 07:37 AM
Free Member

I live not that far from Hemel, so if you PM me your address, I could drop it in tomorrow morning, or whenever suits you.

Thanks!
04-18-2018, 05:36 AM
Free Member

Thought I'd post an update on this in case anyone is interested.

Its almost all the usuals - an un-serviced VCR that was used and then sold with no cleaning or maintenance. Are all eBay VCR's like this? Seems so.

List so far:

Pinch roller worn - skews and chews tape. Replaced.
Drive coupler split - bad loading. Replaced.
Pinch roller jammed on shaft - prevents clean load. Clean and re grease.
Tape path was VERY dirty. Head had baked on dirt. Cleaned.
Display dim and blurred - usual buildup behind window. Cleaned.
Now to one I had not had before. The head made a horrible screech. The shaft had no play, just seemed to be binding. Stripped head down, cleaned off old stale lube and replaced with the smallest amount of quality synthetic oil. Seems to be fine now, just need to run a few tapes. Hope this cured that problem.

The HS950 is always well worth saving, its a very good model VCR, but I don't think any can be assumed to work unless the seller has repaired and serviced it. 20 years of residue and grime!
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: LordSandwich (04-20-2018)
04-20-2018, 06:42 AM
Free Member

I just got the VCR back, and it's working like it just came out the factory. Thanks once again to Quasipal for fixing my machine. It now effortlessly loads tapes, and plays them perfectly.

I can't wait to start digitising all my family memories!
The following users thank LordSandwich for this useful post: Quasipal (04-20-2018)
04-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Free Member

You are more than welcome and it was nice to meet you. Your HS950 should give you years more service now.