Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-07-2018, 12:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Exacto knife to separate any glue from the false button. Option #3 is to do that, then exercise it to limber it up some. Then reconnect the board, and see about pressing it. If it seems fine, start it up.

I need to look at my parts deck tomorrow, see what's still salvageable on it. It's been gutted pretty bad to date. But I may have the SVHS or DV button

The button appears to be attached with plastic brads. But due to the shape, I'm not sure it would help, as the true buttons look to be under the faceplate. That puts us back at option #1, if not #3, and #2 is out..

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-07-2018, 10:37 PM
Free Member

The button has been removed. After 20 minutes of Exacto knife scraping I tugged at the button hard to get some kind of movement going. Instead the entire thing popped off. As its own piece, you can see the caked superglue on the side that made it impossible to move.

But now I was finally able to try option #2. I plugged in the machine, took a plastic pen and pushed it into the hole until I heard a distinct click sound. Nothing happened.

I tried it about nine more times with the same result. I can't switch it back to SVHS mode.

Option #1 sounds like it has the potential to electrocute me....I'm not touching the boards while the unit is on.
12-08-2018, 03:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

You won't get electrocuted, and in fact probably won't even feel a tingle. The issue with not touching boards is to protect the boards. You don't want to arc components, thus blow out that part of the board. It's even unlikely to burn out (scorch marks), simply stop working. You just have to be careful, handling from the edges, and resting them, or laying flat on a wood surface. Air and a wood tabletop are non-conductive. The boards don't have any solder points on the edges.

This is how computers are tested on a regular basis -- not just on tech workbenches, but by rank amateurs in many homes. Even tech illiterates build computers these days, following monkey-see-monkey-do Youtube guides, on their kitchen table. I know a few that did just that. Tested the motherboards before going to the trouble off adding CPU/etc, installing in a case.

Although I've been using VCRs for 25+ years in a serious hobby/pro capacity, I've only been repairing them for maybe 10 years (because locating repairmen has gotten more difficult). The first time I did it, the overall expense for a seemingly easy repair was the same as buying a new deck. As t-shirts in the 90s said, "no fear" was my attitude. It's not like I was going to break it more. The repair went fine. And yours probably will, too.

It's just a shame that USPS has temporarily ruined the deck, as it really is quite excellent. It just needs very minor repairs. In the meantime, you do have that other deck on the way, so hopefully you can start the project. Just don't give up on this unit, as it is better. Worth the effort.

12-10-2018, 03:08 AM
Free Member

Okay, I'm not clear as to what exactly Option A is? "Plug in the unit while the front boards are unscrewed from the plate"....do you mean completely disconnected, as in ribbons and everything? Then what -- is that all you do? Turn it on when the front boards aren't in it, and then turn it off? What is this supposed to do, exactly?

Also, I don't have a wooden table, nor do I have access to one.
12-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

What do you have access to that isn't carpet, isn't the floor, isn't plastic? Even a piece of wood will actually work. I've done that before, just get a piece of scrap lumber from the garage. Note that "wood" also includes cheap particle board (Ikea, etc), it just needs to be a non-conductive surface. My primary worktable is an old kitchen dining table that's 50 years old.

Option #1 is to simply dismantle whatever is in the way of pressing the S-VHS button to change modes back.

12-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
What do you have access to that isn't carpet, isn't the floor, isn't plastic? Even a piece of wood will actually work. I've done that before, just get a piece of scrap lumber from the garage. Note that "wood" also includes cheap particle board (Ikea, etc), it just needs to be a non-conductive surface. My primary worktable is an old kitchen dining table that's 50 years old.
Will cardboard suffice? Specifically, cardboard placed over a plastic table?

And isn't plastic itself non-conductive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Option #1 is to simply dismantle whatever is in the way of pressing the S-VHS button to change modes back.
But that's what Option #2 was for. Technically, I've already pushed the button when the unit was on -- nothing happened. I thought Option #1 was to remove the front boards to reboot the system or something.
12-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

Plastic can also channel static electricity, reason it's avoided.

The S-VHS board nodules/buttons are what need to be pressed, not the fake plastic button. There fake button shows 2 contacts, so are there 2 board buttons that must be pressed perfectly simultaneously?

There's nothing to reboot. Most JVC model board settings do actually reset with long disconnects of days/weeks. Inside the unit, do you see a battery anywhere? It'll be a flat dime-sized battery if one exists. Remove it. Then replace it, try again.

I'll try to locate my parts deck tonight.

12-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Free Member

All right. I opened the VCR up and pushed the SVHS button on the circuit board while it was on. It worked!

That's the only good news. Deep down I think we both knew it wouldn't be that simple; not after everything that's happened so far.

Even though most of the buttons on the front panel are clicky, none will respond. None of them do anything with the exception of the Channel + button (but not Channel - which is right next to it). Not even Eject works, and that operates on a separate little board that I never touched! (So there's a tape stuck in it right now...any special instructions for that? It's not in the Play position because Play doesn't work.)

And the remote doesn't work either! It did before, but now it doesn't.

-- merged --

In addition....I just plugged it back in tonight and it had reverted back to DV mode. No idea how -- I haven't touched it. Apparently every time I want to use it, I have to open it up and physically push the SVHS button on the circuit board. This isn't really reasonable. But nothing else about it is working anyway.
12-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Free Member

Lordsmurf, please respond to my PM.
12-22-2018, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

Hi.

I don't wish to hijack your thread, but I have also sent Lordsmurf a couple of PMs and not had a response.

Does anyone know if he is OK ? I read his recollection of being seriously ill 8 years ago at this time of year. I do hope that wasn't tempting fate.

Mike
12-22-2018, 06:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey32 View Post
Does anyone know if he is OK ?
Yes.

But rather than explain here, further derail the thread, I plan to give some more details in the thread you mention. There's things that others need understand.

12-22-2018, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

It's good to hear you are OK.

Take care.

Mike