Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-13-2018, 06:08 AM
Free Member

There is some high-frequency noise pattern on the output from this VCR on the S-Video output. It's not really noticeable when using composite, though that may be due to high frequencies being filtered out by the Y/C separation in the capture device. The brightness/video levels are also higher than they should be, I can adjust them a bit with the PB Y and Y Gain pots/trimmers on the circuit board, but that doesn't seem to properly solve it, so suspect this may be related to the noise issues. Hi-FI Audio playback is normal, so I presume it's not a head problem.
AG5700_1.png
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

It does look like there has been some repair work of some sort done on the circuit board, I don't know if it could be related.
AG5700_2.png

I know this isn't really a great VCR or anything, though it does seem to have some relation to the NV-FS88/FS200 decks. Judging by thespare part list in this thread it uses the same head drum and mechanism.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-28-2020, 05:25 PM
Free Member

Thought I'd update this, in case anyone else has issues with these.

I recently tried replacing the SMD caps in the delay line unit. None of them seemed to have leaked thankfully, but some of the ones I managed to measure had high ESR. After doing that the high-frequency-noise is gone. The unit in question seems to have a different delay line board (and head drum) than what the service manual I could find lists. The SM lists a CCD PCB with a single CCD delay line chip that is pretty much identical to the one in the Panasonic FS88/FS200 and AG7350 units. This one instead has a digital delay line (A/D chip + memory + D/A chip) instead, including bodge wires you can see in the picture I posted going over the pcb.

Interestingly, the datasheet (HM63021) for the Memory chip used also mentions using it as part of a TBC as a use case.

Going to replace power supply caps next and see if that further reduces other noise, but the picture is already looking pretty nice.