Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Free Member

I recently acquired a JVC Super VHS HR-S7800U from the roulette wheel that is eBay
When the unit arrived the momentary switch for the power button had broken in shipping. Being somewhat electrically inclined I opened the player, located the damage, and used a pair of pliers to push the broken part of the switch in and was able to turn on the player and do some testing this way.
Overall it seems to be in good operating order. I tested two tapes and every function I could find, everything seemed to work, and the picture quality with a commercial SP tape was good. With a "torture test" tape (recorded in EP mode on another player and re-used several times) the picture quality was intelligible, with some persistent tracking issues. So overall I have hope for the player and would like to keep it and use it.
However, my initial attempt to fix the power button did not go well and it is now barely operational with the pliers. My interim solution might be a remote to operate the player, but I would like to do a proper fix. So...
For those of you with experience with this player, how difficult is it to dissemble to the point of reaching the main board to replace the momentary switch? I am fairly comfortable with the de-soldering/soldering portion, but I am not sure if it is wise to disassemble the player in that manner. Any thoughts or advice on what that would entail? I have read through the service manual, but that only gives me so much info to go off.
Many thanks in advance.

Note to the mods, I accidentally asked this in another thread before I realized I was in the wrong forum
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-04-2021, 01:12 PM
Free Member

You just need to remove the top cover and pull the front plate out that is held with plastic tabs, You will see a PCB in the front panel, the power button is soldered to it, The PCB is mounted with screws to the front panel.
02-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
You just need to remove the top cover and pull the front plate out that is held with plastic tabs, You will see a PCB in the front panel, the power button is soldered to it, The PCB is mounted with screws to the front panel.
Hey thanks for the reply. Are these instructions specific to the JVC 7800? From what I can tell the power button is soldered to the main board and is actuated by a plastic leaver on the power button from the front panel.
02-26-2021, 02:46 AM
Free Member

Yes some may have a mechanical linkage to the main board but pretty much the steps are the same.