Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-15-2019, 10:51 PM
Free Member

I cannot find a service manual for this model or any like it. I am almost positive I found the problem with this vcr. The gear that is supposed to be engaged at the start of the cycle, which powers the tape loading mechanism is not engaged because one of the tiny springs popped off that keeps the tension on it so that it runs against the plastic guide.

If anyone has info on what screws I need to take out to get the board out? I took the two large screws on the back of the board out which were mounting screws to the base. But I cannot tell which other screws among the many within the board are mounting screws.

Also if anyone knows exactly where the spring is supposed to mount on this arm that controls the gear?

picture 1: vcr model
picture 2: highlighted the plastic triangle and outlined the edge that it should be up against as a guide to move the sprocket in and out.
picture 3: if i push that plastic arm with triangle into that guide, the sprocket engages with the main drive that spins when vcr first turns on.
picture 4: the spring that fell out when I opened the vcr to figure out what was wrong
picture 5: the main board.. outlined the two screws I removed that hold it to case, but can't figure out which other screws I need to remove to pull the whole board out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_233342.jpg (47.5 KB, 14 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_233525.jpg (80.2 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_233539.jpg (75.8 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_233550.jpg (64.7 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_233559.jpg (132.5 KB, 11 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
That's a low-end consumer VCR not worth repairing.
Even a new unit gave a typical wiggly crummy VHS image output.

Get one of these: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-15-2019, 11:13 PM
Free Member

I appreciate the response. I have a higher end vcr for when I need something critical. This is just a cheap vcr for another room for watching movies when working on the computer. I don't care if it is not great quality. It is worth repairing if it is literally one spring just needing to be placed back correctly because it costs zero dollars to repair.
06-16-2019, 06:06 AM
Free Member

I don't know this revision in particular, but there is usually just a few screws that secure the whole mechanism to the plastic shell. Once they're out the whole thing can be lifted off the pcb.

Also, the JVC models usually share chassis and many components in each revision, so if you can find a service manual for a different model from the same year/lineup maybe it will have the details you need.
06-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Free Member

I was able to find how to get the board out. Two smaller screws in the back that hold the video card on need to be removed, video card needs to be taken off first. Then two plastic clamps that stick through holes at the front need to be released.

Was also able to figure out how to access the broken sprocket. The spring is still attached to the metal post but the plastic clamps on the sprocket broke off probably when someone tried to jam the tape in and down. I doubt I will be able to find that exact part, so I will use some super glue with some plastic to create a post for the spring to attach to, then glue the spring to that post.

Again, free fix. not everything should result in throw it out, spend way more money on a nicer one!
06-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwcomputer View Post
I was able to find how to get the board out. Two smaller screws in the back that hold the video card on need to be removed, video card needs to be taken off first. Then two plastic clamps that stick through holes at the front need to be released.

Was also able to figure out how to access the broken sprocket. The spring is still attached to the metal post but the plastic clamps on the sprocket broke off probably when someone tried to jam the tape in and down. I doubt I will be able to find that exact part, so I will use some super glue with some plastic to create a post for the spring to attach to, then glue the spring to that post.

Again, free fix. not everything should result in throw it out, spend way more money on a nicer one!
I have the whole mechanism what ever part you need give me an offer and I put it on ebay for you.