Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-01-2019, 03:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I finally got my ES10 "working" (acquired needed power plug), and everything works (eject, remote, etc), except video output. Not composite, not s-video.

I don't readily see bad caps. But could that be it?
I've never seen this exact issue, don't recall ever reading about it.

My choices are:
- Fix it. But where? Who?
- Recycle it ... after throwing it against a tree, maybe running over it with the car. Just because.

I'd obviously rather fix it. I had to import this from UK. I called in a favor to get it.

This sucks. I needed it this weekend.

Any ideas?
Anybody here can fix it for me?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Free Member

I think a missing sync signal would cause something like this. Do composite and S-Video output any kind of waveform?
07-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Free Member

On the one I got (PAL) has broken S-Video inputs, and one set of broken RCA audio outputs. I suspect this is due to the A/D chip being bad, possibly caused by two bad power supply caps that I have now replaced. Maybe yours has got one in even worse condition?

Did you test component and RGB out as well, and composite/YC on the scart sockets? And does it pass audio?
07-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Yes for audio.
No for s-video, composite, component, SCART. No video at all.

Opening and looking again, I see two bulged caps at C1707 and C1406. Or at least I guess that's what those number mean, correct? Maybe slight leakage on C1707, but it's hard to tell. Both are on the power board.

The power button also does not work, but I use the remote anyway. All other buttons are fine. There is a case crack about the power button, so it may be unrelated to the output issue.

This is the DMR-ES10EBS, just in case somebody questions if PAL or NTSC. It's PAL.

07-02-2019, 08:09 AM
Free Member

The C1707 and the other one of the same type (not sure that's the C1406 or a different number) being bad seem to be common. It was in both mine (DMR-ES10EC-S) and this person's deck. Whether that can cause those issues I don't know. On mine I didn't notice any difference after replacing them, but leaving bulging caps in is obviously not good in any case.

Another thing to check, the PAL ES10 can be set to NTSC mode, which would make it input and output NTSC which may not show up if you try to display the output as PAL.

Otherwise I don't know, maybe cracked solder joints or bad traces or bad chip?
07-05-2019, 06:24 AM
Free Member

I bought one for just over 5 € on e-bay. It was completely dead, i found some capacitor, in the power supply PCB, with signs of leak.

C1270 - 1500μF
C1271 - 1500μF
C1272 - 1500μF
C1406 - 680μF
C1607 - 680μF
C1707 - 680μF

Not all of the above capacitor showed evidence of leak, but measured with a capacitor tester, are results in high ESR value.
Replaced them, the recorder is back to life.
Hope this can help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg S1050018.jpg (53.5 KB, 14 downloads)
File Type: jpg S1050020.jpg (46.9 KB, 13 downloads)
File Type: jpg S1050022.jpg (37.6 KB, 12 downloads)
07-06-2019, 04:20 AM
Free Member

Sorry to jump in here.

I'm no expert but dabble in SCART a very tiny bit.

I have those SCART to RCA and S-Video adapters, but to use them and get a signal out. It seems every device (DVR, VHS ect..) that supports PAL seems to have its "own way" of flipping over to generating the output type that I want, S-Video, Composite or RGB.. and I'm no expert at it. I have read if you don't know how for a specific device. Then connecting an adapter by itself won't work.

With the Panasonics it seems mostly.. you set the output type in the setup menu, and then "must" power down the unit and then power it back up.. as in a full power reboot, before it will start outputting that signal type.

that worked for me once.. and after I've just avoided using SCART

i can rationalize a reason for the protocol being that way since pins get reused for different directions and signal types.. but i can't rationalize why it isn't better explained.. or maybe i am just not familiar enough with it

There is some scary info regarding s-video damage here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART#Direct_connections

When I read this.. I stopped using SCART altogether:

Quote:
Due to the relatively high signal voltages used in SCART, "hot plugging" (connecting or disconnecting devices while they are on) is not recommended. Although there is no risk of personal injury, there is the possibility of damaging electronics within the devices if the connector is inserted improperly.

Last edited by jwillis84; 07-06-2019 at 04:36 AM.
07-06-2019, 02:47 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I though you already had one lordsmurf. Did you import it to record from PAL sources. Any other benefits apart from this?
07-26-2019, 10:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by josem84 View Post
I though you already had one lordsmurf. Did you import it to record from PAL sources. Any other benefits apart from this?
This was my 1st PAL ES10, and it has problems. I gave it to jwillis, either for R&D, or to fix. So far, he's had no luck with it, though he's still tinkering last I knew.

I've since acquired a 2nd PAL ES10, and this one was in better like-new condition anyway, complete with original box, instructions, remote, cables, etc. So it was an upgrade. I had 2 PAL projects that requires ES10/15, and it performed as expected.

For whatever reason, xenophobia mostly, it's hard to import PAL ES10/15 in the U.S. At one point, some years ago, VCRs were also difficult, but no longer. (You know, that's gives me an idea. I may whisper in the ear of a PAL VCR seller, tell him he needs to add some ES10/15 to his lineup. )

07-27-2019, 07:30 AM
Free Member

Yeah no luck with it yet.

I'm waiting on another PAL ES10 to try swapping parts with.

Intensely curious to find out specifically which part is at fault. Its far too easy to assume its the LV7107 and give up.

The mainboards from the US model and the UK models are not swappable because of the SCART connectors on the UK model, so I have to wait on the PAL model.

I've had all kinds of luck, good and bad importing PAL models of different brands. One arrived (I kid you not) in a black plastic trash bag,, and the shipper actually handled it that way with a shipping label on the outside. It had styrofoam taped around it however and survived the trip. Others have arrived fairly well packaged.

Xenophobioa.. hmm.. certain countries seem to treat used gear differently when shipping them as a whole. It might be if they think its trash they treat it as such. I won't mention the most astonishing countries, but will say this.. Canada as a whole seems to treat most equipment the best. Used is like recycled to them and appears if not near flawless then at least like New when it arrives. They are also uncommon at packing things. I've dealt with mostly places on the mid longitude to western side of Canada.

I really hate seeing this very good gear go to waste.

There is a guy in Connecticut who specializes in Panasonic repair.. when I'm done.. I might see if he has any experience changing out LV7107 chips.