Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Free Member

VCR: Panasonic NV-HS1000EGC warms up a bit during VHS cassette playback (playback over a one-hour cassette runs smoothly). To the extent that the black rubber roller that is up (on the right side of the drum heads, when you look at the front of the cassettes - the front - when the VCR is turned off and when it is undressed) sweats a little while playing tapes (you can see this).
From the VCR itself, a bit of a smell (such a standard for these devices) and heat smell a little. The hot sheet is not, but it is warm in some places, most around the silver thing (which is behind the drum heads and which has a VCR from the back like its "cooling", ventilation protruding beyond the structure of the equipment). I conclude that inside it is probably more "stuffy" than "hot" due to the lack of a proper exit for the air.
[I touched the silver part directly and it was "very warm" and the warmest of the whole interior, hence I find that he does the most work ... - from what I remember.]

[What is this black sweating roller? What he is doing ? Can somehow damage the VHS tape ? Touch a tape ? At what stage and for how long ?]

Probably this is due to the lack of ventilation, holes from the top - they are only from the sides and probably from the back for something that is silver in the middle (but this ventilation probably does not give him enough). From what I checked, this silver part probably warms the most.

[What is the silver part in the VCR ? What is it doing ?]

So I thought that in the baking tin "from above" cut the hole over this silver part...
What do you think about it ?

I guess it is "a bit not too much" because it would be a hole, not a grille (it's harder to cut out small grids) and thus dust etc. could get there eg when playing a VHS cassette. Therefore, the hole would have to be of appropriate size.
[For the time when the VCR is not working - this one and the other in the places of the holes are covered with cards of paper so that no dust gets inside the equipment - also this hole would be covered if the equipment was turned off].
On the other hand, it probably would help in removing air from the VCR.
[Or do a check in a sheet or some plastic take on ventilation and put it on the hole during playback...].

[It may be worse with this heating if it is eg a three-hour(not one hour) cassette and the VCR will work that much...].

[Other parts other than this black cylinder have not seen them sweat - in total, rubber is more susceptible to metal parts]. [But I could have missed something].

I just asking. Maybe someone has already had similar experiences with this equipment or the other like.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Free Member

The part right behind the drum is a small PCB that contains an amplifier that amplifies the signal from the video heads. I believe the metal shield is to shield from radio waves and other interference that could add noise and interfer with the signal being amplified. We got the older EC version here and it does get a bit warm, but I think that's normal. I suppose one could add a fan or something if it seems overly warm.

If you mean the section behind that again, separated by a plastic wall, that's the power supply, which does get hot. The shielding is probably again mostly to prevent noise from the power supply transformers and other components to interfer with the rest of the VCR, but it may have some cooling purpose too I suppose.

The black rubber roller is called a pinch roller, it presses the tape against a spinning metal pin (capstan) which drags the tape around when in playback mode. I don't know what you mean by the roller getting sweaty? Do you have an image perhaps?
08-04-2019, 04:49 AM
Free Member

I don't have a photo, but maybe I can do it.

It just looked moist, sweaty slightly, as if you could see small drops and a moisture structure that can be seen on the surface when something is sweating.
08-04-2019, 07:48 PM
Free Member

I think your pinch roller rubber is disintegrating and melting away, You should stop using it immediately as you have already contaminated any tape you played back in it.
The good news is pinch rollers are easy to replace, just remove the plastic ring that presses down on the pinch roller on the shaft and pull out the pinch roller, find a match and put it back the same way you removed it.
But without pictures no one for sure would know what you are talking about.
08-05-2019, 02:59 AM
Free Member

Thank you all.

What should a pinch roller look like in the best condition (best, new)? Should it be matte, rough or should it be more slippery (in the middle where the tape moves and on the rest part of it(but it doesn't matter probably - rest part))? Do you have any picture of what a good pinch roller structure should look like and how bad?
Picture/'s maybe I will add later.
08-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Free Member

No matter how a pinch roller will look like it certainly should not look wet and sweaty. You should post pictures of your system not the members. If you want to see pictures google images offers thousands of photos.
08-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Free Member

Pictures in attachment.

And what do you think about this pinch roller ? What is his condition ? Need to replace it ? New(good) should look different ?

White particles on a pinch roller are dust from what I see and know.
Pictures taken at rest of the VCR, where its last run was probably about two weeks ago. At that time, it was used for playback only: blank VHS tape (young; recorded, but in good condition - no mold, etc.).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. Pinch roller.jpg (130.5 KB, 14 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2. Pinch roller.jpg (144.0 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg 3. Pinch roller.jpg (131.9 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg 4. Pinch roller.jpg (118.1 KB, 7 downloads)
File Type: jpg 5. Pinch roller.jpg (100.9 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg 6. Pinch roller.jpg (121.2 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg 7. Pinch roller.jpg (124.0 KB, 12 downloads)
08-12-2019, 05:25 AM
Free Member

I don't see any sweat, looks dry to me.
08-12-2019, 07:58 AM
Free Member

I know because, as I wrote: "Pictures taken at rest of the VCR, where its last run was probably about two weeks ago." And as I probably wrote earlier: The sweaty pinch roller was seen during tape playback through the flap through which a VHS cassette is inserted as well as after turning off the VCR and removing the flap. I will have to check it further. Then I made these observations and checks quickly and absent-mindedly.

And what do you think about this pinch roller ? What does this pinch roller look like ? What is his condition ? Need to replace it ? New (good) should look different ?
08-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Free Member

When it sweats take a picture, as of now looks fine no replacement needed.
08-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
The good news is pinch rollers are easy to replace, just remove the plastic ring that presses down on the pinch roller on the shaft and pull out the pinch roller, find a match and put it back the same way you removed it.
Could you show on the example of these photos* (e.g. by editing them) with which parts what to do in turn describing everything (wanting to replace the pinch roller) ?

*http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...html#post63281
08-16-2019, 02:55 AM
Free Member

Nobody knows how to do it ? Could anyone help ?
I will add that the pinch roller itself (rubber roller) can be replaced (only this is currently the most easily available for me) - without the metal arm on which it hangs.