Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Like for instance, there's reference made to "the Theater capture drivers" that were in a file with a name ending in "68-drivers.rar", which I didn't find in the thread with all the files. But there was a file called
"ATI-6168package-1st-wdm.rar"
that when un-rared contained a file called
"1ST tv-capture-wdm-6-13-10-6168v1.exe"
which when run says it'd install the
"tv-capture-wdm-6-13-10-6168v1.exe TV Tuner/Capture WDM Drivers"
for me. See? It's the WDM file is the capture file! As a newbie I just had trouble figuring which one was what.
At least it's still here.

This thread is one of the earliest ones made on this forum, more than 7 years ago. (In fact, if you look at the URL, it is labeled as "1-hacking-ati-mmc.html" where 1 is the post number! Not sure how/why that happened. Maybe I made this post in Snitz before importing from the phpBB board that came before it?) Since that time, we've moved servers a few times, and upgrade the forum software to different platforms twice more. We did some "repair work" to the forum in 2009, to try and resolve a lot of discord in linking and hosted files, but it wasn't perfect. Thanks to your notes, however, I think we can get that first post cleaned up better.

What I can do is try to pull up a site backup from 2004 or 2005, and then match what's inside a zip/rar then to what's inside a zip/rar now. Just be warned that it will take a little bit of time, as this is basically an audit. Stay tuned!

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Free Member

That may be more effort that it's worth, Admin.

What I meant is: if there's only one person in the world that it matters to, then it's fer sher not worth you going to all that effort. Although I didn't notice that this thread was VERY old, I did notice that it was old. But since it had been updated since inception, I thought maybe there might be other folks it might benefit. That's why I was going to the effort to be so expansive on my blue comments.

But if it won't help anybody besides me, then don't worry about all that un-archiving. Between the CD, this post, and good ol' ingenuity, I'll get it all going.

As I mentioned in another post, I have it going now except for the audio being off-sync by some fixed amount (i.e. not cumulative effect due to clock skew).

It's all good!
J.

Last edited by Joekster; 06-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.
The following users thank Joekster for this useful post: admin (06-11-2011)
06-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekster View Post
As I mentioned in another post, I have it going now except for the audio being off-sync by some fixed amount (i.e. not cumulative effect due to clock skew).
For AVI, MPEG-2, both? If AVI, which specific codecs were being used?
Are you following the ATI capture guides on this site? Be very sure not to deinterlace video.

I'd suggest MPEG-2 with ATI MMC, but AVI with VirtualDub. Sometimes, on some computers, some AVI codecs can lose sync in ATI MMC by a fixed or variable amount due to the soundcard hardware or drivers. For example, that was among the potential issues with early Audigy cards manufactured some 7+ years ago. Hardware is often to blame for audio sync problems, or the drivers that power them. It may also differ based on audio codec. For example, PCM WAV vs MP2.

Quote:
I thought maybe there might be other folks it might benefit. That's why I was going to the effort to be so expansive on my blue comments.
Most appreciated it is, too!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Free Member

Capture Computer #2 is up and running XP-SP2, and many thanks for that! It's a real comfort having hardware that is known working from a trustworthy source! (Unlike the HDD I tried and had to return, but that's another story for another time, haha!) I'm now installing the software to capture with the ATI AIW 128 Pro. It's been going well, but I've hit my first hitch. Let me explain what I've done up to the first hitch. Certainly it's been a looooong time ago since you did this particular install, but maybe you might see something wrong I did, or can point me in another direction.

Per your PM, I started out at: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...g-ati-mmc.html

Step 3 Looked for the specified http://www.digitalfaq.com/downloads/...vers-winxp.zip but that took me back to the same page from which I looked for a likely possibility and DLed and installed the following: ATI-128pro-drivers-1st-wxpw2k.rar then ATI-128pro-drivers-2nd-cp.part1.rar (which of course also uses and part 2)

Reboot

Step 6 DirectX9 http://www.digitalfaq.com/downloads/...msdirectx9.rar which redirects to: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html which had the 5 part rar, installed it

reboot

Verified by using DXDIAG that 9.0C installed

reboot

Step 7 Wxx9 Window Media Player Opened Window Media Player and "About" tells me I have 9.00.00.3250
therefore I didn't install anything new (I can go back and do it, tho, if necessary)

Windows Media Encoder 9 DLed, unRARed: ATI-6168package-2nd-wme.rar and ran the file inside it: 2ND wme-radeon-7-88-030430m-008946c-efg.exe which comes up with an ATI logo interestingly enough, but which errors out with:

"Severe" error message:
Code:
INF error 
Video driver not found
followed by
Code:
Setup was unable to complete the installation. 
Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.
At which point I paused to write this message.

Next thing I'm going to try is to get WME9 from another source. Bing search in MS website for "Windows Media Encoder 9" gives as the first hit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...e-3de948689db8 which refers to the product as: "Windows Media Video 9 VCM" and says, in part, "This Video Compression Manager (VCM) based version of the Windows Media Video 9 encoder/decoder will enable legacy encoding and editing applications to support the Windows Media Video 9 codec in file containers such as AVI."

So I'm going to install Microsoft's Media Video 9 VCM next, followed by: steps 8, 9, 10-A, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 17
06-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Thanks for the add.

Sometimes it's good for others to see the how the cogs have turned in somebody's head, rather than simply reading instructions. This is a great example of how somebody should react to errors. It also shows just how many times computers must be rebooted when installing video hardware!

The error was pretty much stating that the graphics driver for the ATI 128 portion of the card had not been installed yet (as per Step 3). Based on other posts in the forum in recent days, at this point in time, I believe you figured it out and now have it working as needed. Excluding a dropped frames issue, that is. But that may simply be codec related, or possibly hardware related (the hard drive, or the drivers for the hard drive slipping into non-DMA mode). At any rate, we'll get that sorted in the other threads.

You've done well so far.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Free Member

I have an ATI All-in-wonder Rage 128pro AGP that I've been trying to install on my XP system with the files listed in post 1. For the life of me I can't get past step 3 because I keep getting the following errors when running ATI-128pro-drivers-1st-wxpw2k.rar :

"INF error Video driver not found"
"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"

I have my monitor connected to the built-in VGA controller for the time being. I've tried uninstalling the ATI driver, updating it, disabling it and every combination of those (with reboots after performing these operations). What am I doing wrong and what's the secret to getting this error to go away?
07-21-2014, 06:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
It's been so many years since I last did this, that I'm not even sure that I could do it again. I've not had a 128 card for at least 3-4 years now, having sold it long ago. It was an extra card.

Did you try any of the added advice put forth by Joekster?

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs