Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Free Member

anyone here use tv-cards? those that are plugged into pci slots?

like these:
http://www.nebula-electronics.com/in....asp?Code=0001
http://www.pluggedin.tv/site/sweetspot/index.html

are these any better or worse than other tv-cards?

i hate having to record to a dvd -rw, then copy to hard drive when a straight port to hard drive or capture to hard drive looks a lot simpler & quicker.

any ideas?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Most video cards for computers are crap, so you have to be careful.

What are your specific goals?
A few of us here can help guide you to some good products.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Free Member

I use Hauppauge PVR cards (tv-cards) for my recordings, using SageTV software for the scheduling. I have PVR-150, PVR-250 and PVR-350 cards in various machines. They've been working great for years. I only wish they (SageTV) supported some good HD cards.
05-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Free Member

LS - simply to cut away the recording to rw dvds then to transfer to pc.

on SP mode rw only handle about 2 hours often i have more stuff to record.

so was thinking of somehow getting the stuff off my digibox onto the pc all in one go overnight. then am ready in the morning to cut adverts out and finalise each show.

but if you think some/most tv cards are lesser in quality than the jvc dvd recorder, then i might as well stick with that route.

Padre2 - did have a hoppy card once upon a time. also had a ati tv wonder which was pretty decent.

maybe the ati tv wonder 650 is worth a try?
05-03-2007, 02:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
If you want to capture compliant MPEG-2 for DVD, with some sort of timer, then I would suggest:
  • (A) an ATI All In Wonder Radeon AGP 7000/8000/9000-series card, which is what I used to use, before I got the JVC recorders. CPS member angelofanimes uses an ATI AIW on a timer and it works well. I still use the ATI for marathons or other special needs (capturing PAL VHS, restoring certain kinds of video).
  • (B) do what Padre2 does. I would suggest, avoiding the PVR150, however, get the PVR250 model. That is a tried-and-true PVR method on computer that works well. If he's willing to help you, this might be the easier method.
I would still suggest the JVC is better quality than either of the above methods (although neither of the above methods are bad by any means). This is why I have two JVC decks. It all depends on how much time you have and what you want to do.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs