digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Cypress AVT-8710 Green model removes Macrovision? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10073-cypress-avt-8710-a.html)

Ralpphilz 10-12-2019 06:53 PM

Cypress AVT-8710 Green model removes Macrovision?

Hi,
I have a concern regarding to the Cypress AVT-8710 that I'm considering buying. Some say it does not remove VHS macrovision when used with standalone DVD recorders. I even heard that it sometimes messes with the playback, and can cause frame skipping. Could anyone please provide some details about this unit whether it does remove macrovision? I'd appreciate that. Thanks in advance.

josem84 10-13-2019 11:29 AM

You don't need a TBC to get rid of MV. Any decent MV scrubber will remove it without issues.

Ralpphilz 10-13-2019 04:32 PM

Can you name a few? I have no idea what is MV scrubber honestly. Thank you.

hodgey 10-13-2019 04:43 PM

What are you planning to use it for? Is it about removing MV to be able to record the material to the DVD-Recorder, or is the goal to remove macrovision coming out of it?

Ralpphilz 10-13-2019 04:53 PM

To record the original Vhs Tapes that have macrovision to DVD-recorder.

lordsmurf 10-13-2019 05:19 PM

The answer here is slightly complex.

Yes, in general, a framesync TBC from Cypress or DataVideo will remove Macrovision. In general. And it's the best way, often the only way.

But it helps to understand what Macrovision is, so you know why it can fail at times. MV is essentially an artificial video error injected into a tape signal. And it can vary from tape to tape. Sometimes video errors can overrun even the best TBCs, and can have various failings or byproducts/artifacts post-TBC. Not just title to title (example: Mortal Kombat), but even copy to copy of the same title. One MK tape may pose problems, while another MK tape is flawless post-TBC. For example, my own MK tape has zero errors post-TBC. But I have a The Tick animated tape that balks at all TBCs, and a Young Indiana Jones tape that balks as well. I have a 2nd copy of the Young Indy tape, and it's flawless post-TBC. Since I have The Tick on DVD, I've never bothered to get another VHS copy, though I doubt it's title-wide problem (just the copy).

So it's not 100% foolproof, but probably 90-99% range.

Those "Macrovision removers" (clarifiers, scrubbers, etc, all euphemisms) are more like 50% at best, and even most of those "successes" will have color/brightness issues. Something like the Grex is a complete POS, though it ironically does work well to strip cable box MV, allowing MV-abiding recorders like Philips 3575 to make dubbable recordings from channels like HBO and Fox Sports.

Cypress and DataVideo can act differently on signals, and that includes MV. It can be helpful to have both kinds of TBCs, if you rely heavily on performing TBC-needy tasks.

The only caveat with the AVT-8710 is that it needs to be green, not black, and in known-good condition. Even the DataVideo needs to be in known-good condition. Never trust the eBay idea of "tested" and "works", as the bar for those statements is generally low, if not just an outright lie.

josem84 10-13-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 64492)

Those "Macrovision removers" (clarifiers, scrubbers, etc, all euphemisms) are more like 50% at best, and even most of those "successes" will have color/brightness issues. Something like the Grex is a complete POS, though it ironically does work well to strip cable box MV, allowing MV-abiding recorders like Philips 3575 to make dubbable recordings from channels like HBO and Fox Sports.

That's exactly why I put some emphasis on "decent". Those shitty devices marketed as "video stabilizers" don't fall into that category. Mine is custom built. I got it many, many years ago and I can assure you it's an absolute "killer". I only remembered 3 or 4 tapes that gave me some trouble. And my private collection is not a small one (8.000+). No image degradation either.

Ralpphilz 10-13-2019 09:48 PM

Would you mind sharing a short raw mpeg videos of your converted footage done with your decent custom-built MV remover?

josem84 10-13-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralpphilz (Post 64497)
Would you mind sharing a short raw mpeg videos of your converted footage done with your decent custom-built MV remover?

What do you mean by raw...? Mpeg-2 is already compressed. PM me your email address and I'll send you a sample whenever I have some time. I don't put my stuff online, sorry.