Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Free Member

Hi there,
first time doing video capture and running into a lot of film jumping. not sure if there is anyway to correct this during capture or do I need to use post edit software?

using a tbc-1000 and JVC SVHS purchased from LS.

here is a youtube link to what I've gotten so far on first capture using all default/recommended settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySp...ature=youtu.be

thanks,
nav
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-18-2019, 07:15 PM
Free Member

Have you tried changing the setting for Video Stabilizer on the VCR? If On then try Off and vice-versa.
11-19-2019, 12:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
You need to use the remote and turn off the overlay/superimpose.
Also turn off calibration.

Main issue is likely the tape itself. Signal is damaged, maybe misrecorded. All is not lost.

Try manual tracking. SP/EP button on remote, D-pad up/down.

Does this happen on all tapes?

Stabilizer can help, as msgohan mentions. Try after manual tracking, not before.

Sometimes tapes just hate JVC, or a certain JVC, reason many of us have multiple decks (JVCs, Panasonics). This is uncommon, but happens. Just wanted to mention it, but unlikely.

Another last-ditch option, for much later in the project (after all good tapes done), and ONLY done with proper tools, while taking plenty of photos and notes and marker marks, is to realign the deck via guide adjustments. This is done while playing -- you must be very careful, as it's so easy to screw up both the tape and the deck. That's not suggested, but sometimes it's the only way. (If this was one of my A+ units, do NOT do that! Odds of getting back to A+ alignment is incredibly difficult.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I wouldn't play with alignment in such a high quality unit. Use a cheap machine instead. Getting back the alignment right just by eye is almost imposible. You can get a visually perfect picture but the alignment won't be 100% perfect as before, unless you do it right by using an oscilloscope.
Then there's the risk of slipping and damaging the tape and/or heads.
The following users thank josem84 for this useful post: lordsmurf (11-21-2019)
11-21-2019, 06:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Then there's the risk of slipping and damaging the tape and/or heads.
Yes, I cannot reiterate this enough, this is a precision operation with a high risk to the deck and/or tape. I only felt the need to mention it, as the tape may not be impossible to capture, just extremely difficult. And with risks, and consequences, and potential heavy financial loss on hardware investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josem84 View Post
I wouldn't play with alignment in such a high quality unit.
Use a cheap machine instead.
The lower-end S-VHS JVC 3800 range + ES10/15 + pray is more ideal here.

Quote:
Getting back the alignment right just by eye is almost imposible. You can get a visually perfect picture but the alignment won't be 100% perfect as before, unless you do it right by using an oscilloscope.
Mmmm, I don't know. I've had scoped decks that could still use a tweak of a mm-size turn, The key here is a large bed of test tapes (which I have), and practice. It's not a simple operation until you've done it many times. But yes, in general, what you say is true.

12-02-2019, 12:06 PM
Free Member

Does anyone know where I can get a remote control for my machine, its a JVC VS30U
12-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav24 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a remote control for my machine, its a JVC VS30U
JVC LP20303 works well, about $10.

The original remote was essentially the 20303 with the jog shuttle, silver version. Gold version came with 9600-9911 series.

When buying:
- must see inside battery cover, look for no corrosion
- having the battery cover is suggest

12-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Free Member

Hi Everyone, turning off the video stabilization actually worked. it eliminated the jumping but now I notice when I watch the tape it has a fraction of a second pause in video footage every full second or so but when I capture it and replay the captured video the pause doesn't appear. is that normal? is that my computer just lagging a bit on displaying the footage live?

also how do I know if I have the latest version of virtualdub and am capturing in the right codecs etc? I hit under compression settings FFMPEG Huffyuv lossess codec but my VLC player doesn't recognize that format. so In order to capture Im using the first option (Uncompressed RGF/YcbCr)

thanks guys! Merry Christmas!
-nav
12-26-2019, 03:07 AM
Free Member

Huffyuv v2.1.1 (google it) that's the version you should use
12-26-2019, 09:52 PM
Free Member

Got it working with the HuffyUV Codec, looks like everything is working correctly. Do I go ahead and capture the film now? from what I can see the virtualdub filtering for improving video/audio quality is all done post capture with software. Its not something I need to do during capture is it?

thanks,
nav
12-27-2019, 12:58 AM
Free Member

You can do some basic corrections during capture imo, but careful of the video/audio desync.
filters such as: Levels, brightness/cont