Quantcast Problem finding capture solution for fast-paced FPV footage? - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Free Member

I'm afraid I'm going a bit cross-eyed in my searching. I've looked at PCI cards, PCIE cards, USB devices and I've been hitting dead ends everywhere because a critical feature is missing. Mostly due to either lack of knowledge or unavailability.

The solution I'm looking for should be as simple and compact as possible because I'll be bringing it outdoors inside a box.

With that out of the way, I'm hoping you guys can help out. I'm looking for a capture device that will let me record FPV footage from a 5.8ghz analog camera feed. The ground receiver side of things are already taken care of. The footage will be fast paced and with loads of motion, so uncompressed data is a high priority.

The recording side of things are taken care of already via either VirtualDub or OBS.

Recommendations?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Free Member

The ground receiver is outputting the signal somehow, you didn't wrote what option do you have regarding video output, what connection? how many FPS? what resolution? you should start by answering these questions and then it will be easier for you to find a capture device that can meet these requirements.
12-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyal View Post
what connection?
It's outputting CVBS.

Quote:
how many FPS?
From the source, 60fps. I'd like to keep it at that rate if possible

Quote:
what resolution?
800 TVL
12-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Free Member

So what's the problem you encountered with the card you've tried? you didn't write.

800 TVL is more common in the CCTV field I think, so maybe you should look into DVRs, but you sure the signal you're getting is really 800TVL and not a common 480/576?
12-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyal View Post
So what's the problem you encountered with the card you've tried? you didn't write.

800 TVL is more common in the CCTV field I think, so maybe you should look into DVRs, but you sure the signal you're getting is really 800TVL and not a common 480/576?
That's just it - I don't have a card yet.

As far as I know from the manufacturer's specs, it's 800 TVL
12-07-2019, 09:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,256 Posts
VirtualDub is for capture.
OBS is for compressed streaming "capture"/grabbing, not analog capture. (Yes, yes, it "can" do analog, but it's a half@ss afterthought feature. I can also drive in screws with a hammer, or bang nails with the screwdriver handle, but it's really not the right tool for the task.)

TVL is a misleading gimmick measurement.
More reading: https://www.arcdyn.com/articles/what-does-1000tvl-mean/
So this 800 TVL camera really isn't that much greater than the standard 720x480/576 resolution. Yes, greated, but not by much.

However, if this is some sort of spy/surveillance setup, and every pixel can matter, then just get an HD capture card, and use a semi-lossless (technically lossy, but not really visibly lossy), and just be done with it. However, understand HD capture devices are not small or cheap. Ironically, this is probably one of the few times I'd suggest a Blackmagic, although the idea of it being composite gives me pause. This usage is not something I ever tested.

What exactly is this for?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
12-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgappy View Post
That's just it - I don't have a card yet.
You wrote:
Quote:
I've looked at PCI cards, PCIE cards, USB devices and I've been hitting dead ends everywhere because a critical feature is missing
From what you wrote I assumed you've already tried many cards, but anyway you didn't wrote what problem or dead end you've encountered, what is that critical feature that is missing and what is the reason you haven't tried the cards you looked at.

Quote:
As far as I know from the manufacturer's specs, it's 800 TVL
TVL is usually used as a specification of the camera's sensor, but it doesn't mean that is what you're getting in the output of the receiver(unless you got that value from the receiver's manual, and even then I doubt that specification), if the receiver is outputting composite I assume it's just a standard 480/576 signal and 29 fps interlaced which are 60 fields per second and not truly 60 fps, but that's just an assumption.

Is it for a drone or an RC plane? if it's really 480/29fps I assume any cheap USB capture device with a composite input will do the job of capturing in virtualdub.