digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VirtualDub fps and resolution issue? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10200-virtualdub-fps-resolution.html)

bzowk 12-19-2019 12:00 PM

VirtualDub fps and resolution issue?

Hey Guys -

After putting the project on hold for a while, I'm starting to digitize all the family's old VHS tapes again. Unfortunately, when testing this morning using a new download/installation of VirtualDUB, I found that all captures were set to 50.00fps which I seemingly cannot change it to ~30fps plus it defaults to 720x576 instead of 720x480. Below are details for what I tried followed by a list of hardware/software used.

What I've Tried to Fix Issue
- Edit "Capture Pin" - Tried changing fps to ~30, but could only go down to 25fps. The default settings listed are NTSC_M / 50.00fps / YUY2 / 720x576
- Edit "Capture filter" (Read it had pin defaults) - When selecting it, VirtualDub crashes stating "An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'PropPage_FX3'...
...reading address 00000000."

I'm thinking it may be due to the system running Windows Server 2016. It's an old system, so planning to reinstall Win10 on it and try later in day unless you think its unrelated. Captures using Avermedia's native software work fine, however; am not using as the only capture option is very lossy.

Resources
- VirtualDUB 1.10.4 x86
- Avermedia U3 Capture Device (DirectShow) (USB3)
- PicVid codec (Issue occurs no matter selected codec)
- Samsung DVD-VR320 (DVD/VCR Combo)
- All VCR settings look fine / set to 4:3 Aspect Ratio
- Component Connection from VCR -> Capture Device
- Windows Server 2016 x64

Any suggestions? Thanks!

UPDATE
I found out that I can seemingly change the capture to 29.97 fps by cliking in the status bar in the lower right. Unfortauntely, it still captures at 720x576. I tried changing it to 720x480 in Video Pin (which sets fps to 31) but it says its unavailable and changes it back to 720x576. Should I be capturing at this resolution instead, perhaps?

Thanks

Update #2
Crap... Now if I switch back to 720x576 it shows "Signal out of range". I've restarted everything and it shows this no matter the resolution I select it seems. When making the last post, it was showing the video at 29.97fps at 720x576 and I didn't change anything else. What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks again!

lordsmurf 12-19-2019 12:17 PM

Wrong card. HD capture cards all seem to have poor capture on SD (VHS/etc) sources.

Wrong OS. WinXP and Win7 are the most ideal. Win8/10 work, but give you grief. Windows Server is going to throw fits.

Wrong codec. Use something lossless, preferably Huffyuv.

You have a terrible VCR, and likely made by Funai (almost all combo deck units were, essentially infamous crap). Quality will suffer, and you'll especially get wiggle/timing and chroma/color errors/artifacts. Quality can be, should be, much better, using the right equipment. See the VCR suggestions list.

VirtualDub 1.10.x can have problems with capture. 1.9.x tends to have less issues. (You also see the inverse, but less often than the downgrade.)

COMPONENT is RGB. Or did you mean the yellow COMPOSITE wire? (Both are wrong, use s-video.)

Sometimes the crappier capture cards have hidden settings, or at least non-obvious. That may be it as well. You have to change fps/res/etc in multiple locations for it to work.

Honestly, you're going about this the wrong way if quality matters.

Feel free to post sample captures, but I'm fairly certain it will look lousy, given the hardware in use.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but what you needed to hear. :)

hodgey 12-19-2019 02:14 PM

With some cards you may have to change settings in the bundled application first before it works in virtualdub, may be worth a try. Granted it's possible the capture cards deinterlaces the inputs by default or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 65367)
You have a terrible VCR, and likely made by Funai

Quick google suggests it's Samsung made (or at least has a samsung mechanism). Not claiming it's good, but maybe not quite as cheap and clunky as Funai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 65367)
COMPONENT is RGB. Or did you mean the yellow COMPOSITE wire? (Both are wrong, use s-video.)

It usually refers to YCbCR, and I'm guessing that's the case here since that's what the VCR supports. (granted RGB is also a form of component video). Using the component (YCbCr, RGB would be bad due to signal clipping) out from a DVDR is fine if it supports 480i and doesn't do any other shenanigans with it. Make sure the deck is not set to progressive scan mode.

Eyal 12-19-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzowk (Post 65366)
Unfortauntely, it still captures at 720x576. I tried changing it to 720x480 in Video Pin (which sets fps to 31) but it says its unavailable and changes it back to 720x576.

Have you tried setting a custom format?
Video > Set custom format...(or just Shift+F)

It sounds like you're getting a pal signal from the card, if you sure you want NTSC then check your DVD output settings to make sure it is set on NTSC.