01-22-2020, 09:42 AM
Free Member

I was capturing a VHS tape using a Samsung VCR hooked up through composite cables to a Sony VRD-MC3 DVD Recorder. I have captured VHS tapes through this exact method before with great success. Something I often do after the DVD burning is complete is create an ISO of the disc to burn exact duplicates with that can be handed out.

This time seemed no different, except that there was a portion of the tape I wanted to cut out, so for the first time I used the "pause" function on the recorded, halting recording just long enough to fast forward through the unwanted bit. I continued recording after that point, and everything seemed to go fine. Finalized the disc, it played back perfectly fine in my DVD player with no issue.

However, when I try to rip the DVD to an ISO, I keep running into the same issue. I have tried to rip the DVD in 2 different applications, PowerISO and ImgBurn, and the same problem happens. First, it refused to capture to an ISO, saying it must be saved as a BIN/CUE because it claims the disc is multi-session - despite disc info showing only 1 session. If I go ahead and agree to a BIN/CUE, at about 35%, I will get the error, "Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check". If I tell it to retry, same error, tell it to ignore, the process hangs and the ETA extends to days and beyond before I give up and cancel the process. The disc is clean, I have wiped it down multiple times. I would like to not have to reburn another disc, certainly not if I will run into the same problem. The disc still plays fine in DVD players, my computer just doesn't like it. I suspect it might have to do with my pausing recording (would it register that as different sessions? Then why does the disc info still say one session...?)

Is there a way to make my computer create an ISO or BIN/CUE despite the data error? Or will I have to retry - or use a different method entirely? I do have access to a Digital8 camcorder, and appropriate cables to use it as a capture cam. I would hope I don't have to get into such an involved process, though.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
1. Sony recorders are lousy quality. Nonetheless, on the the question...
2. Use DVD Decryper to decompile in IFO mode. See this guide to get started: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/vid...d-recorder.htm

I doubt this is an unrippable disc. And generally, when that happens, it's because the disc is bad (coaster).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: aependell (01-22-2020)
01-22-2020, 02:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
1. Sony recorders are lousy quality. Nonetheless, on the the question...
2. Use DVD Decryper to decompile in IFO mode. See this guide to get started: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/vid...d-recorder.htm

I doubt this is an unrippable disc. And generally, when that happens, it's because the disc is bad (coaster).
Yes, I discovered that it wasn't very good. The first rips I did with it were in HSP mode (1.5 hours instead of 2) and looked fine, but this one had to be done in regular SP, and... eugh. Blocky blocky blegh.

I followed your advice and tried to rip the disc using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode. Unfortunately it gave me the same result, just more detailed an error message, which I've attached below.

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (10.8 KB, 3 downloads)
01-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

The disc is bad.

Nero DiscSpeed would show yet more details on disc condition.
Download: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/medi...a-quality.html

What did you use? Brand, x speed?
See also http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Slight chance the disc is marginal, but the drive isn't great, with net result still being unreadable disc.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: aependell (01-22-2020)
01-22-2020, 04:52 PM
Free Member

Quote:
The disc is bad.

Nero DiscSpeed would show yet more details on disc condition.
Download: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/medi...a-quality.html

What did you use? Brand, x speed?
See also http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Slight chance the disc is marginal, but the drive isn't great, with net result still being unreadable disc.
I've been trying to use IsoPuzzle on it and, yeah, the first third or so of the disc is fine, after that it quickly turns into poop. Been running well over an hour now and I don't think this is going to be salvageable. Strange though, since it plays in its entirety just fine in any regular DVD player!

I used a Memorex DVD-R, 4x speed (Part #: 3202 5510 if that helps). Came from a pack of 4. The other 2 I've used up to now burned fine, this one clearly didn't. Worried about my last disc now, haha.

I guess at this point my best solution would be to recapture the VHS using my Digital8 Handycam and a Firewire port? Then I can just work with digital files instead of having to rely on DVD media. Could probably make a much better quality DVD then the Sony spat out as well.

Attached Images
File Type: png Coaster.PNG (14.1 KB, 1 downloads)

Last edited by aependell; 01-22-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added screenshot of IsoPuzzle
01-22-2020, 07:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

NTSC or PAL?
If NTSC, you'll trade DV choma loss for MPEG macroblocks. DVD still worse.
If PAL, definite upgrade in method.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: aependell (01-23-2020)
01-23-2020, 08:48 AM
Free Member

Quote:
NTSC or PAL?
If NTSC, you'll trade DV choma loss for MPEG macroblocks. DVD still worse.
If PAL, definite upgrade in method.
I'm NTSC unfortunately. I unfortunately don't think I have many other ways I can do this. I can try a different DVD recorder I think I might have lying around, otherwise I can retry the Sony with a different DVD or do the capture over Firewire and put up with the chroma loss. Or maybe find some way to minimize or reverse the effects of that.

Would love to get a higher end capturing setup in the future, but I don't have the disposable income to get those sorts of decks at the time.

Tags
bin, dvd, iso, recorder, rip