01-30-2020, 05:43 AM
Free Member

Nothing, only a test. That movie capture is stable and without problems. I was lucky, I'm trying another another vhs, a low quality bladerunner. It needs a tbc
The good thing is that mxo2 eat everything without frame drop or audio desync.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-30-2020, 09:02 AM
Free Member

Quote:
What I don't understand is why capture devices manufacturers don't include TBC's in their capture devices,
1 - Adds cost which hurts drive for lowest possible price point while making a profit. Especially in the products aimed at the consumer market.

2.- A TBC can defeat commonly used analog copy protection, which may make the product in violation of the USA copy right acts. Combining an effective TBC in a capture device that respects copy protection can present this problem unless significant additional cost is incurred to prevent it.

The trick to an effective TBC is recognizing/interpreting what the sync timing should be in the(often poor quality) input signal, and using that understanding to store and reform the signal with correct line timing and solid stable sync.

Frame synchronizers such as found in video mixers like the MX1 will generally expect reasonably good sync on the input signal, and as such have limited ability to cleanup sloppy sync. (After all their purpose is to synchronize independent video signals for mixing purposes.) In the process they do rebuild the sync and as such provide some degree of TBC functionality.

Anyone tried one of these?
http://www.burstelectronics.com/pixie.htm

Last edited by dpalomaki; 01-30-2020 at 09:15 AM.
01-30-2020, 11:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Frame synchronizers such as found in video mixers like the MX1 will generally expect reasonably good sync on the input signal, and as such have limited ability to cleanup sloppy sync. (After all their purpose is to synchronize independent video signals for mixing purposes.) In the process they do rebuild the sync and as such provide some degree of TBC functionality.

Anyone tried one of these?
http://www.burstelectronics.com/pixie.htm
It could be interesting, but it's rare to find.
01-30-2020, 01:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
I've come across that link before numerous times, there is little to no information on how it performs. I have just ordered one, it was less than $100 on Amazon, I will test and report back, I have one home video tape with rolling frames problem I will try it with.

Last edited by latreche34; 01-30-2020 at 02:07 PM.
01-30-2020, 04:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
I've come across that link before numerous times, there is little to no information on how it performs.
dpalomaki tested one: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post38714

I believe that I tested one about 10-15 years ago, and it was poo. But that long pre-dates my current TBC research. So I've gotten another myself, I can do $109 for TBC research. My biggest concern isn't if the TBC works or not, it's noise, lack of signal transparency. The Big Voodoo TBCs, for example, were unacceptable, lots of interference noise that was created inside the unit itself.

But what sort of BNC to Y/C (s-video) cabling is needed?
Does this work, or are the BNC headers wrong? http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...m/273869612104

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-30-2020, 06:57 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
But what sort of BNC to Y/C (s-video) cabling is needed?
Does this work, or are the BNC headers wrong? http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...m/273869612104
More of like this they have to be females, you would need two.
01-30-2020, 07:15 PM
Site Staff | Video

The 25cm is too short, I need more than 6 inches of cable. The 1.5M may have worked.

I'm not ordering anything outside USA for this, it takes too long. Especially not from China, it's middle of CNY (Chinese New Year), shipping is horrid in Jan/Feb every year. There's always a chance I'll need to use the return policy, and cables from overseas/China may take 30+ days to arrive.

What else, where else?

I really wish I could use my existing s-video cables, meaning female s-video to male BNC, with a short 6 inches length. But where? (But also not a stupid price, bad design, Google has shown me a few of those already.)

01-30-2020, 09:19 PM
Free Member

https://amzn.to/3Ac487O

https://amzn.to/3MRNxO5

I've also used BNC-to-RCA with RCA-to-S-video (in a pinch though it adds otherwise unnecessary adapters to the chain) since I had them in my bag of connectors and adapters.

My test was not a detailed or comprehensive one, more a look at it and its internals. I did not have a good selection of sloppy signals in need of TBC available to use to test effectiveness.

Not covered in the manual is factory reset (e.g., to unity gain). I believe you turn the mode dial to "0" and hold both "INC" and "DEC" buttons when you apply power.
02-06-2020, 05:46 PM
Free Member

I just bought a Big Voodoo BVTBC10 off eBay and I'm very happy with it. I know others have had issues with them but I made an offer (gamble) of $150 and it was accepted (I think I could've offered less).

Externally it's in mint condition and the innards are immaculate - solid build, no bad caps and soldering is perfect. Came with the dedicated 5V power supply.

I've run it for 8 hours and the output remained clean and stable. I've put some very old tapes through it and a ES15 and I can't fault it. Very small foot print compared to the FOR.A FA-330P I was using.
02-06-2020, 09:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Interesting.

I have never seen a Big Voodoo TBC that hasn't had noise issues. Nor ever read anybody else that has not had the same experience. It would be interesting to see it perform with a JVC menu screen as the blue test pattern.

It's also weak, and chokes on quite a few errors.

02-07-2020, 01:43 AM
Free Member

I have not found tests on the BVTBC10, only previous. Could it be better?
02-07-2020, 07:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I have never seen a Big Voodoo TBC that hasn't had noise issues. Nor ever read anybody else that has not had the same experience. It would be interesting to see it perform with a JVC menu screen as the blue test pattern.
The color bar output signal is uniform and clean. The JVC blue menu screen straight into the BVTBC has some slight wavy lines through it only noticeable if you really look for them. I had the same issue with the FA-330P though. I don't notice any interference or artifacts in the video recordings...using my eyes.

Quote:
It's also weak, and chokes on quite a few errors.
I've put old creased and stretched tapes through it paired with a Panna ES15 and all locked up fine.

I think considering all the TBCs recommended on this forum have their quirks, this particular unit I have is doing an OK job.

[Workflow(PAL): JVC HR-S6970->S-Video ->ES15->S-Video->BVTBC10->S-Video->BMD Intensity Shuttle->USB 3->PC->Virtual Dub->Vegas Pro 14..]

Last edited by MikeyMike; 02-07-2020 at 07:25 AM.
02-07-2020, 09:14 AM
Free Member

What about es15 posterizzation? Is it evident?
02-07-2020, 09:39 AM
Free Member

The ES15 already fully digitizes and recreates a stable signal, if there is anything it fails to deal with well it will be baked into the output. The only thing it can do that could possibly upset the capture card (which the BVTBC can remove presumably) is to put in a macrovision signal if it detects it on the input.
02-07-2020, 02:29 PM
Free Member

To test the capability of the external TBC you have to keep the ES15 out of the workflow, otherwise you wouldn't know which one is improving the signal and which one is degrading it.
02-07-2020, 11:09 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
To test the capability of the external TBC you have to keep the ES15 out of the workflow, otherwise you wouldn't know which one is improving the signal and which one is degrading it.
I made 3 x 15 minute VHS sourced recordings with the BVTBC on its own, ES15 on its own and then both chained.

BVTBC on its own locked up well with no evident flagging and very slight wiggly lines within the video, not on the edges. The FA-330P suffered badly with the wiggly lines on the edges of the fame. There was posterization using the factory preset procamp settings but a later tweak of the setup and luma values fixed that.

ES15 on its own was very good. Very slight posterization on highlights but no wiggly lines and video was clean and locked with no frames dropped.

The BVTBC and ES15 together was best of course. The ES15 cleaned up the inherent video noise slightly. The procamp tweaking reduced posterization markedly. No video ringing or herringbone artifacts.

Vegas screen caps from captured .avi using MagivYUV

fp330p on own 1.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

bvtbc only1.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

bvtbc only 2.jpg

es15 only 1.jpg

02-08-2020, 01:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
I made 3 x 15 minute VHS sourced recordings with the BVTBC on its own, ES15 on its own and then both chained.
Some of the above images and statements don't make sense.

- a "no TBC" clip is required
- all comparison images need to be the exact same frame

The Big Voodoo is not a line TBC. So no amount of wiggling should be corrected.

The FA-330P is, not surprisingly, probably just choking on VHS source. Rackmount broadcast TBCs do not expect consumer sources like VHS, but instead something like BetacamSP. The "wiggling" is probably therefore being added, rather than any other item correcting the video.

The ES15 is not a TBC. It has some basic frame sync (NOT frame sync TBC) and some line(ish) TBC-like functionality. It's both weak and aggressive at the same time. Good line timing correction, but it can fail at any time due to anti-copy/Macrovision (artificial video errors) and MV-like natural video errors. A true TBC would not crumple to the floor and play dead when the video sneezes.

That BVTMC10 is really screwing with luma. That's unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
The ES15 already fully digitizes and recreates a stable signal, if there is anything it fails to deal with well it will be baked into the output. The only thing it can do that could possibly upset the capture card (which the BVTBC can remove presumably) is to put in a macrovision signal if it detects it on the input.
This can't be entirely true. No more so than the JVC S-VHS TBC fully digitizes on output. The output is still analog, and some part of the source signal can still mess with capturing. Even with ES10/15, frame TBC is still required almost always.

02-08-2020, 05:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The FA-330P is, not surprisingly, probably just choking on VHS source. Rackmount broadcast TBCs do not expect consumer sources like VHS, but instead something like BetacamSP. The "wiggling" is probably therefore being added, rather than any other item correcting the video.
That capture is not fair to the FA-330P. You are correct Lord, the owner of that TBC told me it has a BetacamSP modification with a switch that was switched on. Once I switched it off BetacamSP those "wiggly" lines completely disappeared.

I tried to record a "no TBC" clip but unfortunately the BMD Intensity Shuttle does not like un-synced video signals and the recording is riddled with black frames and dropouts.
02-16-2020, 01:43 PM
Free Member

What about ctb-530? It seems something like tbc-5000/dvk
02-16-2020, 02:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Once I switched it off BetacamSP those "wiggly" lines completely disappeared.
That's a problem. If wiggly lines disappear, you have a line/field TBC, not a frame TBC. And lack of frame TBC is what causes dropped frames. I'm not aware of any device that provides line+frame output in a single unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginopilotino View Post
What about ctb-530? It seems something like tbc-5000/dvk
Unknown. You must be very careful with "conversion" TBCs. In order for the TBC to activate, the signal must be PAL>NTSC or NTSC>PAL (or SECAM>PAL, etc). PAL>PAL or NTSC>NTSC enters a bypass mode, and the TBC is not active on the signal.