01-31-2020, 06:17 AM
Free Member

I’m buying a VCR from lordsmurf and have been told that I need a CP7U-type adapter specifically.

From LS: “The only caveat is that you MUST use a JVC CP7U-type tape adapter. Look at a CP7U in Google Images, from all angles, then find an identical model if no JVC CP7U. This adapter was released under multiple brand names, but is believed to be a Matsushita (JVC/Panasonic), hence why available from those brands. Most other brands are no-name. Again, be careful, ALL ANGLES (top, bottom, gate, sides), as some sort-of look like the CP7U, but have some obvious differences. Sometimes you'll see an exact CP7U on eBay.”

I happen to already have a motorized JVC cassette adapter in my possession from back in the day. (Picture attached!) To me, it looks very similar though it doesn't say CP7U on it so it must not be an exact one. The main difference I'm seeing is it doesn't say "S-VHS" only "VHS"? Would this adapter be considered as a CP7U-similar type or one of them to avoid? I’ve used it successfully in other VCRs to check that tapes work, etc.

If this adapter won’t cut it, what the main reason for the CP7U specifically? Is there any harm/risk in trying this adapter first before purchasing a CP7U off eBay?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15112FB6-606C-4D34-AB61-9379E06DD0D5.jpg (112.6 KB, 17 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-31-2020, 06:31 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
That one may be fine. I see no issue with trying it.

There are quite a few adapters, believed to originate from Matsushita (then owner of both JVC and Panasonic). The JVC CP7U was simply one of the more prolific models, having come with the more-prolific JVC VHS-C and S-VHS-C cameras. There was also the CP6U. Panasonic came with its own branded identical adapters, with Panasonic VHS-C cameras.

The reason is materials, function.

There are many other lousy adapters out there, and the market is probably 50/50 on good and bad models.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-31-2020, 11:29 PM
Free Member

The S-VHS adapters have a hole with a pin, The pin gets moved away by a S-VHS-C tape to make the adapter detected as a full size S-VHS cassette, If you don't have any S-VHS-C tapes don't worry about it.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: AnalogDoughnuts (10-11-2021)
02-01-2020, 10:57 AM
Free Member

Fantastic, thank you for the clarification. I’ll definitely try this adapter and report back if there are any issues which aren’t expected!
02-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
The S-VHS adapters have a hole with a pin, The pin gets moved away by a S-VHS-C tape to make the adapter detected as a full size S-VHS cassette, If you don't have any S-VHS-C tapes don't worry about it.
No S-VHS C tapes here so should be good! This makes sense to me. Thanks!