digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Kinyo TV-55 - any experience? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10362-kinyo-tv-55-a.html)

discmeister 02-13-2020 09:50 AM

Kinyo TV-55 - any experience?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

I spied on a UK auction site a Kinyo TV-55 for sale. these rewinders also included a cleaning function and they're spoken of elsewhere as an admittedly less effective but MUCH less expensive way of cleaning tapes prior to capture than, say, any of the Tapechek models. I've included a pic so people can see what I'm on about.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience of the TV-55? My model has turned up and seems in fair order; it powers up correctly when I insert a (sacrificial) tape and forwards/rewinds as it should.

The cleaning head appears to be some type of foam bud that can be moved towards the tape by pressing the 'Clean' switch - and it looks clean and also appears, via a socket on the underside of the unit, to be able to be 'rotated' so you can use six different areas of the cleaning 'head'.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience of this type of cleaner and has any tips on how to get the best out of it (and, eventually, how to replace the cleaning head and what to use for that)?

Kind regards to all,

Discy

BarryTheCrab 02-13-2020 11:32 AM

I have one! There is no off/on switch, closing the lid sets her off running.
Keep an eye and ear on it, you want to slow the tape ejection down manually when it’s gets to the end or you risk getting tape
pinched in the shell door.
I found a small plastic tubing that fits over the spindle and wrap a piece of pec pad around it, tucking the excess into and under the tubing. I even soaked it in 99% alcohol and held my breath. So far so good.

discmeister 02-13-2020 12:18 PM

Thanks for replying!

Can you give me an idea of the size of plastic tube you used? I guess Kinyo did used to sell replacement cleaning pads - does the installed one come out easily? I didn't get a manual with the unit.

Kind regards,

Discy

BarryTheCrab 02-13-2020 12:31 PM

My model appears the same but has a different model name. The spindle should pull out rather easily, from the bottom, keep it safe, handle with care, it’s basically irreplaceable, though I think a new one could be hacked together or 3D printed.
I’m at work so I will check to see what exactly I did, but if you take the part to a big box home supply depot as I did, roam and rummage around until you find a candidate that fits the spindle.

josem84 02-15-2020 05:02 PM

That rewinder is a POS. Not only does it not clean the tapes, it stretches the tapes badly. If you value your tapes, you want to buy a high quality rewinder.

BarryTheCrab 02-15-2020 05:16 PM

I’ve not had any issues with stretching, breaking, or snapping. I see discoloring/dirt on the pec pad. That being said I do not disagree with your general critique.