Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-20-2020, 12:06 AM
Free Member

Hi all,

I just registered as new member in this forum. I would like to seek for help and assistance regarding suggested instrument or the best way to convert VHS to DVD for a good video quality.

For your information, I had two sets of PAL VCR (consumer version), which were Sony VCR SLV-KH3PS & JVC VCR HR-J781AM, for which both had only composite output, two sets of Panasonic DMR-ES10 for pass-through, and 1 Hauppauge HD PVR. Usually, when I convert VHS, I used this method which is direct from VCR to DVD Recorder. However, I realised that the DVD quality produced is not satisfactory.

I would like to inquire on three issues:

First, can anyone suggest to me a suitable PAL DVD recorder that can generate good video quality? Is Panasonic DMR-EZ49V a good choice?

Second, if I want to get digital video to be transferred to my computer to be processed later, I’ve been using Hauppauge HD PVR. This unit produced m2ts, ts and mp4. I usually chose progressive output setting on my DVD Recorder. Then, I used a component cable to get the progressive video quality. Is this the best way to get good video quality? Is there any other way that you may suggest?

Third, can anyone suggest a good PAL VCR that can easily be obtained from e-bay? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-20-2020, 12:21 AM
Free Member

DVD is lossy, you will not get good quality out of it, Capture lossless in AVI using the same capture hardware (Hauppauge HD PVR and ES10 passthrough) but with Vdub program instead and convert later to DVD if needed.
03-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Free Member

^ The Hauppauge HD PVR is an H.264 hardware encoder with no way to capture lossless.

I would capture Interlaced, not Progressive from the DMR-ES10. I'm assuming its deinterlacing quality is similar to the ES15 & ES25, which sucks.

Take a look at the VCR Buying Guide and see whether any of those models are available in Malaysia.