03-24-2020, 12:29 PM
Free Member

I'm currently using the DVC100 capture card to capture a tape, however for some reason the capture card is not tracking properly (I think) and causing weird red lines to appear erratically throughout the capture. Has this happened to anyone else? and if so anyways to fix it? I've checked it's not my VCR or my Tape. I've included a quick sample I did in OBS to show the problem. (See top of the screen)

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 2020-03-24 13-25-22.mp4 (25.33 MB, 10 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-24-2020, 12:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
That's probably lack of TBC.

"VCR > capture card" does not work.
It must be "VCR > TBC > capture device". Some sort of TBC must exist, it is not optional.

What is your workflow?

The DVC100 is a lousy card, but it meets the minimums of sometimes being acceptable. Not excellent or good, just barely passable, maybe. Thus not recommended.

OBS is also the wrong capture software. I wish people would quit using stream-capture software for analog capture. Use VirtualDub, the capture tool created for analog capture. That can be part of the issue as well.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-24-2020, 12:44 PM
Free Member

My current workflow is a Samsung DVD-V5500 plugged into the Dazzle, I do not have a dedicated time base corrector as I do not have the money for one, I do use Virtualdub for the main captures, I just used OBS for this sample as it was quicker to get up and shows the issue fine, The issue does not appear when I plug the VCR directly into my TV, it only appears when using the capture card.
03-24-2020, 02:26 PM
Free Member

It's intermittent flagging, in both directions.

I assume this is a multi-generation tape, since it appears to be a non-commercial concert recording.

If I were you I would like into picking up one of the Panasonic DVD recorder models that can be used for passthrough.
03-24-2020, 07:59 PM
Free Member

I should probably elaborate more on the issue that I am having.

The actual issue is called flagging (Thank you msghoan)
it only appears when I use the capture card, when plugged in directly into the TV it looks fine. (See attachment)

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20200324 204715-1.mp4 (7.40 MB, 2 downloads)
03-25-2020, 12:00 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
If I were you I would look into picking up one of the Panasonic DVD recorder models that can be used for passthrough.
I made a dumb typo and can't edit the post. That's what it should have said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notelu View Post
it only appears when I use the capture card, when plugged in directly into the TV it looks fine
That's pretty normal. Here's another current thread where a guy is seeing flagging when connected to capture card but normal video when connected to his HDTV: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post67438

Screenshot of his video
Flagging JVC HR-S2902U.JPG

Screenshots of your video
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.
Flagging Notelu left.jpg

TVs are designed to handle these malformed signals, as are the passthrough DVD recorder models recommended around these forums. Capture cards aren't (barring a few exotic exceptions).

03-25-2020, 11:39 AM
Free Member

ah that explains it, thank you so much!

What is the cheapest dvd recorder (that you would recommend) that is able to fix these kinds of issues?
03-25-2020, 01:34 PM
Free Member

Normally I would say that your local Craigslist is probably cheaper than eBay and should offer the chance to test. I've also found them in thrift stores here in Vancouver. But given the pandemic...

I would set up a eBay Saved Search with email alerts for a For Parts listing of DMR-ES15. It needs to be able to input and output video, but the DVD drive can be dead, so you can save money compared to a fully-functional model. You could also add DMR-ES10 to the search but I think there is more of a concern about their power supplies dying.

You also need the remote or one that can be programmed with the relevant keys, so that you can disable the Input Noise Reduction if the previous owner had it turned on, and set the black level appropriately.
03-25-2020, 09:27 PM
Free Member

Thank you, just ordered the DMR-ES15 off of ebay, I'll give an update once I get it.

Tags
dvc100, tracking