Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-04-2020, 12:19 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
50% values.
ok, what's the difference between them?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-04-2020, 07:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractOffer View Post
The camcorder has a 3.5mm A/V out which I am using for audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retractOffer View Post
does getting a 3.5mm to 2-male RCA cable better the situation? The current cable is a 3-male RCA from which I am not using the red one.
I don't think you mentioned troubleshooting outside of the computer. What happens if you listen using a TV or headphones, etc. direct from the camcorder?

Your camcorder's correct cable is 3.5mm TRS to 2 RCA. The stereo version is TRRS: https://pinouts.ru/DigitalCameras/so...e_pinout.shtml
04-12-2020, 11:18 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
I don't think you mentioned troubleshooting outside of the computer. What happens if you listen using a TV or headphones, etc. direct from the camcorder?

Your camcorder's correct cable is 3.5mm TRS to 2 RCA. The stereo version is TRRS: https://pinouts.ru/DigitalCameras/so...e_pinout.shtml
Just tried it on a TV. The crackling is still there. I am using the AudioQuest cable which is a good quality one. I am fairly sure it's the camcorder that's causing this. The cracking noise is still there even when s-video isn't connected. It gets better and worse when I rotate the cable head inserted into the camcorder. Now I am wondering if the issue is specific to this camcorder or all of them w/ a 3.5mm TRS port will have this problem. Does a ground loop isolator eliminate the issue?

[EDIT] Also worth mentioning is that the AC adapter the came with the camcorder is a generic one and not from Sony. The amperage on it is slightly different (8.4V, 1.7A) than the camcorder's original specs (8.4V, 1.5A). Not sure if this is a factor! The audio plays fine without cracking on the camcorder itself.

Last edited by retractOffer; 04-12-2020 at 11:45 PM.
04-13-2020, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

So to confirm: You have now tried both a stereo "video" cable, 3.5mm plug (TRRS - 4 contacts on the plug) with red, yellow and white (3 total) RCA connections at the other end AND now a stereo audio cable, 3.5mm plug (TRS - 3 contacts on the plug with a red and white (2 total) RCA connectors at the other end. Is this correct?

If so and you get the crackling with any connection (TV, capture device, etc) made from the camcorder using either cable, it does sound like it is the camcorder, either in the 3.5mm female plug itself or somewhere upstream of that in the output. It seems unlikely that both cables would be bad, and I think that either should have worked as long as the stereo video cable was connected correctly.

I don't think this is problem really systemic to this type of connection on camcorders, but I have had similar problems with stereo audio connections to headphones, etc. (iPod, phone, etc.) So it can be a problem. Yet I have 5 or 6 (miniDV, Hi8 and D8) camcorders all with a similar (though stereo) A/V connection and so far I have never had this problem with them. And I must admit that I've always worried that it is a somewhat fragile connection and could be damaged with a minor mishap or careless use.

Does the plug install securely in the camcorder or is it a bit loose, either side to side or in and out? If you hold it to one side or possibly hold it just less than fully inserted does the sound clear up? Either of these might indicate that one of the contacts in the camcorder is bent or weakened. Here's a jack with the kind of connections likely to be inside the camcorder jack. The "V" shaped contact should be making the audio connection to the tip (T) of the plug and also securing the plug in the jack.

The fact that turning the plug changes the sound indicates that it could just be that the contacts are dirty. I don't know exactly how I would proceed then but I would try to clean them. If the video is clear and only the audio is cracking then it should be the tip connector that is bad/dirty. Maybe you could dip the plug tip in contact cleaner and put it in and rotate it around pull it in and out, especially the last mm or so, repeating a few times. I would not spray contact cleaner into the female connector...

For reference, the correct cable for your camcorder should be like the one shown in this eBay listing. To my eyes the 3.5mm TRS connector looks identical to a typical stereo audio cable (and is the standard TRS configuration I assume) so the stereo audio cable should work as a substitute.

I hope you can find a cure... Good luck!

BW
04-13-2020, 02:51 AM
Free Member

Thank you for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW37 View Post
So to confirm: You have now tried both a stereo "video" cable, 3.5mm plug (TRRS - 4 contacts on the plug) with red, yellow and white (3 total) RCA connections at the other end AND now a stereo audio cable, 3.5mm plug (TRS - 3 contacts on the plug with a red and white (2 total) RCA connectors at the other end. Is this correct?
Correct. Since I thought the 4-contact cable is causing the noise, I purchased the aforementioned properly shielded 3-contact cable.

Quote:
Does the plug install securely in the camcorder or is it a bit loose, either side to side or in and out? If you hold it to one side or possibly hold it just less than fully inserted does the sound clear up?
Yes, it fits securely. Holding it to one side or less than fully inserted doesn't make any difference.

Quote:
The fact that turning the plug changes the sound indicates that it could just be that the contacts are dirty. I don't know exactly how I would proceed then but I would try to clean them.
I cleaned the port with rubbing alcohol to no avail.

Do you think 1) a ground loop isolator helps 2) the original sony ac adapter makes a difference? Otherwise, I'd exchange the camcorder.
04-13-2020, 02:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Audio crackles have 3 culprits

1. audio card (be it separate like TBSC+AIW, or integrated like USB cards)
2. VCR
3. source tapes

The first step is to see which is at fault, by process of elimination.

From quick reading, has that not been done yet? Still not sure where error exists?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-13-2020, 03:27 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Audio crackles have 3 culprits

1. audio card (be it separate like TBSC+AIW, or integrated like USB cards)
2. VCR
3. source tapes

The first step is to see which is at fault, by process of elimination.

From quick reading, has that not been done yet? Still not sure where error exists?
I'm fairly sure it is the camcorder (either the A/V port, elsewhere internally, or the generic AC adapter that came with it). The audio plays fine on the camcorder itself. Cracking only happens when connected to PC or TV.
04-13-2020, 07:27 AM
Free Member

Quote:
It gets better and worse when I rotate the cable head inserted into the camcorder.
If the problem persists with new cables that sounds like the output jack in the camcorder may have a bit of corrosion on it. In general alcohol is not very effective for cleaning corrosion, you may need a contact cleaner. Perhaps something like DeoxIT.

One approach might be to cut the cotton tip off one end of a Q-tip and wet ~1/2 inch of the end of the shaft with contact cleaner, then run it in and out of the jack. But don't over soak it and don't insert it if the shaft starts to fall a part.