Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-30-2020, 11:35 PM
Free Member

Not sure how to describe it properly, but my transferred footage (sample here) has some sort of horizontal shaking colorful lines continuously going from bottom to top.
Is this something that can be avoided during capture or it's done afterward? How is it done?
FYI I have TBC w/ DNR enabled on the camcorder. Do these options have negative impacts on the capture?

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-04-2020, 06:12 AM
Free Member

It looks like slightly-off tracking to me. The colors are accompanied by black & white specks and white streaks @ frame top.
04-11-2020, 10:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
It looks like slightly-off tracking to me. The colors are accompanied by black & white specks and white streaks @ frame top.
I uploaded a short sample. Is this a tracking issue? If yes, how can it be fixed? (before and after capture)

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20200411_195831_1.mp4 (10.77 MB, 18 downloads)
04-12-2020, 04:54 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
I figured this happens when the s-video or the audio cables are connected to the usb capture card and the camcorder. Please see the attached videos for a better understanding. Also attached is a photo of the capture device. Could the capture card be causing this noise since all the audio and video cables are very close to each other where they meet?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture device.jpg (55.4 KB, 9 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mkv s-video not connected a.mkv (19.23 MB, 9 downloads)
File Type: mkv s-video connected a.mkv (19.24 MB, 8 downloads)
04-12-2020, 06:32 PM
Free Member

If your are in the USA (NTSC land) and if it crawls up the screen at a uniform rate and takes about 33 seconds to do a full screen it could be due to line voltage (60 Hz) interference, perhaps a ground loop or cable routing near an A/C line issue.
04-13-2020, 12:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
If your are in the USA (NTSC land) and if it crawls up the screen at a uniform rate and takes about 33 seconds to do a full screen it could be due to line voltage (60 Hz) interference, perhaps a ground loop or cable routing near an A/C line issue.
Thanks for your response. I think that's the issue. I connected the camcorder to my Surface that was on battery and the lines didn't appear. As soon as I connected the Surface's AC adapter, the lines came back. Unfortunately, the surface results in lots of dropped frames due to its processing power. My PC, however, is fine power wise. Is there an easy fix for the line voltage interference?
04-13-2020, 07:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Is there an easy fix for the line voltage interference?
Maybe, maybe not. It could be a simple as making sure everything is plugged into the same power strip, using a good back-up ups for all plugged-n gear, avoiding multiple ground paths, reversing non-polarized power cords/plugs, and carefully routing cables to avoid power cords (including any cords from wall warts) being close and/or parallel to signal cords. Some have found that moving gear a bit to provide some separation helps.

Most current gear uses switching power supplies and they are prone to creating electromagnetic noise that can appear on power lines and radiate to nearby wiring. I had a camcorder that had an A/C adapter taht would induce noise into the video/audio if I was not careful how the cord was routed.