Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-31-2020, 07:18 PM
Free Member

Ok i'm having a hard time transferring mini dv tapes to my mac. I remember doing this a few years ago with the same exact camcorder and the same exact computer and it worked fine. Did apple change their settings with recent updates? Does anyone have any advice? I've tried on fcpx, imovie, and quicktime and I can't seem to get anything to work. A couple times I got Quicktime to work but after about 5-10 seconds I'll get an error that says recording stopped try recording again.

I have a firewire to lightning, samsung camcorder, macbook pro catalina 10.15.13. I'm sitting on about 40 tapes that I want to convert onto an external hard drive (take advantage of the quarantine time). Someone also recently gave me a JVC BR-DV600U tape deck that seems to work so if someone has experience with that maybe I could go that route.

Please helppppp

Thanks!!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-03-2020, 02:11 AM
Free Member

Did you update to a newer Mac OS during during this period? That may be it. I know I started to have problems when the old Imovie HD 5 stopped being supported on the newer updates, and Apple loves to update and leave old-timers behind. Have you tried Premiere Pro? You can get a trial for free. I would also make sure the camcorder is running on an AC line versus battery power.

Do you have a Windows machine you can use?
04-03-2020, 05:34 AM
Free Member

If all fails, and you have a vcr with DV input, you could use this as a passthrough option though you could have some quality loss this way.... but i guess you could also use the other video outputs (if any) of the miniDV camcorder...
04-03-2020, 08:33 AM
Free Member

In addition to problematic Apple upgrades, check the available drive space and possible fragmentation, and possible background processes such as AV software. Capture to the system drive can also be problematic. These could cause issues with capture, especially if capture runs OK for short periods of time.
04-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Free Member

The only problems can come from old installs, most of the time there's a uninstall option, to remove the previous version, or there's not yet a 64bit version app for the new OS, the Apple does not have the typical Windows defragmentation problems, most of the time because of the use of SSD's on Apple products...

btw your BR-DV600U unit has also component video output, capturing from this output would be ideal, this will give a clean & stable video output signal ready to capture, without any TBC. (only if this professional device can play your miniDV recorded tapes) Did you already play your tapes on the BR-DV600U unit ?
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/t...&feature_id=02

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 04-03-2020 at 08:17 PM.