Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-06-2020, 07:43 PM
Free Member

So, here's the deal: I have six, maybe seven, old anime/animation VHS titles that have never been released on DVD and likely never will be (i.e. Fire Tripper (Rumik World), Light Years). I just want to get them onto DVD to a) preserve them and b) make them more readily watchable than the tapes are currently. With so few tapes to realistically convert, I'm just trying to find a way to achieve this without paying a king's ransom for a TBC, because I really can't justify the cost outlay.

I have a Mitsubishi HS-U748 for the VCR, and was planning on purchasing a Hauppauge USB-Live2 converter from B&H. The TBC is the bottleneck, rarer than Scrooge McDuck's spotted, square-trunked elephant nowadays, it seems. I could maybe swing something in the range of $300, but beyond that, it's just breaking the bank.

I dunno... Maybe it's not worth the effort plus cash, given how few tapes are in play. Any thoughts, advice, recommendations, or kiwi fruit appreciated. (I like kiwi fruit. )

Ocelot
Lynnwood, WA
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-06-2020, 08:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Subbed or dubbed?
What condition are the tapes in? Visually, and physically.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-08-2020, 10:40 AM
Free Member

The majority of the anime is subbed, with one tape dubbed. All the tapes have been stored properly in a non-smoking home. Visually they're in very good condition as I've only watched them occasionally. I purchased a large 4K TV at the beginning of last year, and they understandably look sad on it, but there's no real flaws on playback, except for some longer tracking adjustment fuzz at the start of one title (Light Years).

Last edited by Ocelot; 04-08-2020 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added video title