05-06-2020, 01:40 AM
Free Member

Hi everyone! It has been a heck of month with many late nights learning from everyone and trying to put this knowledge to practice. Thank you to everyone for their contributions. I feel as if I am so close but just need a bit of a push.

My problem is this, my HuffyUV (32bit) captured video does not work in Premiere on Windows 10. The interesting part is that is it the same Windows 10 computer that I am successfully capturing VHS video with Huffy.

Initially I had issues with installing Huffy but eventually got it working after following the detailed Win 10 instructions. VDub sees it and is able to capture in it, the same with AMArecTV (using this as a possible backup as it is a bit more stable for me on 10). No drops or issues. I downloaded GSpot and dropped the captured video into it and it states it is in fact a HFYU codec but the status states "Codecs are NOT installed". So VDub and AMARecTV can see and capture with it, Premiere and GSPOT do not see it. I have uninstalled, reinstalled with no difference. It is in fact sitting in both System32 and SysWow64.

I also have a Windows XP computer that I installed VirtualDub on and am able to capture with Huffy successfully. I bring this file over to the Win10 machine for editing and it is the same issue.

For some context I have also successfully captured in Lagarith with both VDub and AMARecTV. Premiere can see this and I am able to edit however I am under the impression that Huffy should be my first choice.

Using a JVC S9911U to a 700USB (hung on to this from college!) via SVIDEO, then into my Windows 10. Using Virtual Dub with HuffyUV.

My questions are, what is happening here and is it worth to keep pursuing it, being that I already have Lagarith working? I feel like I am so close. These are family videos but I would really like to wow the family with the quality and dedication. If and when I am ever back at work (furloughed) I would love to look into a TBC and will hopefully learn QTGMC in this next month or so, its a bit intimidating!

Thanks for any help!!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-06-2020, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

I did a quick search, and found this old thread on this forum. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...uy2-codec.html It may be of use to you, despite it's age.

Lagarith is just as good as Huffyuv for post work, and some would say just as good for capture. I've been able to capture YUY2 using either one just fine. A bit more CPU for lagarith capture, but if your machine does Huffyuv easily, it could likely do lagarith just as well without issue. Both codecs can maintain the YUY2 color space (4:2:2). Ultimately you may have to down grade to 4:2:0 at some point since many lossy codecs seems to use that, so conversion down to YV12 in Lagarith may be needed at some point before authoring an mpeg2 or mp4. But those lossy codecs may support 4:2:2. Not the expert there. Anyway, off on a bit of a tangent. The point is, either Lagarith or Huff are lossless, and that is what really matters here for doing your video work.

Many on this forum would also tell you that Virtualdub and Avisynth are the way to go for color correction, and other video restoration. It's free, and can do most of what more expensive software can do. You just have to learn how to use it and discover all the wonderful plugins available (also for free). Though Avisynth and it's plugins can be a bit of a learning curve if you are not familiar with writing basic software. But there's so much content on this forum and the avisynth.nl site that should ease that transition.

Best of luck to you, and keep doing what you're doing. The community is here for you to help you on your way. We've all struggled to get up and running on our projects, but ultimately got where we needed to go thanks to this forum. That's what the forum is all about.