04-26-2020, 08:47 AM
Free Member

Hi,
looks like this forum is one of the most interesting about old analogue video processing, so I have a question for you

I have something like 50 old Video8, 15 VHS tapes and 4/5 Betamax tapes (all PAL) that I'd like to convert to digital.

I've started around more or less 10 years ago with a combo VCR+DVD Recorder, Sharp DV-RW270 (still working) in this way:
- Video8 Camera (no S-Video output) -> Composite -> Combo DVD Recorder Input
- VHS -> Direct conversion to DVD with combo unit
- Betamax VCR (don't remember the model, but still working) -> BNC to composite adapter -> Composite -> Combo DVD Recorder Input

Now I'd like to finish them, but looking at the old ones, quality was not pretty good, probably due to DVD Encoder and MPEG2 compression.

Now, considering that I don't have a big budget for the project (let's say 5/600 Euro and should be something that I can find in Europe), what will be the better way to proceed?
I was thinking to purchase a Sony Digital8 camera with firewire (Video8 with tapes inside the camera and VHS+Betamax with analog pass-through), but then found here on the forum that DV compression could be worst than S-Video and capture card, but it's not clear if the difference is noticeable also for PAL sources or only for NTSC ones.
I think I'll have to exclude any external TBC because they looks quite expensive, or you have some cheaper models?
For capture cards, which ones do you suggest that are compatible with Windows 10 64bit, maybe in can stay in 600 Euro with Sony Camera with S-Video and TBC, VHS VCR with TBC and capture card?

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-04-2020, 07:31 AM
Free Member

A Digital8 camera will not much improve, if at all..... VHS is just low resolution to start with, plus some recordings themselfs will not be optimal, your straight to DVD stays your best option, although it's mpeg2 loss will not be that strong, otherwise you will have to think about other VCR or capture devices, a good TBC comes at a price, that will be above your budget, keep an eye out for old equipment everywhere, it's mostly luck that will get you somewhere.
I notice you did some research yourself, yes a lot of capture device are legacy ones, and need old hard/software, if you're in for a search try to find a combo that will out the VHS deck over it's RCA component output, combo's that say "with dvd-player"
will only play the dvd deck over the component output just like your Sharp combo there are some models from Panasonic and few from Toshiba that will output over component, you have to read the pdf manual of such a combo for that, then, you need a capture device that has component input, like the Intensity series from BlackMagic Design, or go for Grass valley or Magewell.
BlackMagic will be the most affordable one of them, just forget trying to capture over HDMI this will fail often.
These options will be in your budget, even much below, only.. first try to find the right combo...
This is what still works for me, and doesn't need any TBC device or function of that kind.

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 05-04-2020 at 07:58 AM.
05-04-2020, 08:44 AM
Free Member

A lot depends on what you intend to do with the captured material. Are you just wanting it in a format for future viewing as is, or do you plan to do restoration of the images as well? It also will depend on the condition of the recordings, both aging of the media as well as the original recording. Good recordings may let you get by without a TBC.

The BMD Intensity series cards generally work for analog and HDMI capture with Windows 10. However, the The Intensity Pro 4K does a very poor job with component SD capture, at least with NTSC source material. It does better with composite and s-video material. It can record lossless and motion JPEG formats. Files can be large. Keep in mind that the BMD cards do requires a good, stable, standards compliant signal which can be a problem with analog home recordings.

Dump to DVD recorder can work and is easy if the goal is to just have something to view. However, if the original material contains much noise, as is common with home recordings, the results can be bad because noise eats bits in the data stream. In general, composite is the worst analog video stream to try capture. I would avoid use of the 4, and especially the 6, and 8 hour DVD recorder modes. Tapes recorded in EP and LP mode can be problematic quality wise as well. Commercial tapes with copy protection can be problematic as well because much capture gear respects copy protection.

DV's issue with loss of color information is better in PAL than NTSC. Again, because DV is a compressed lossy data stream it will take a hit if you have noisy video. In general, composite is the worst analog video stream to try capture. On analog vs. Firewire capture, try both ways to see which way better meets your needs.
05-05-2020, 04:35 AM
Free Member

Hi,
thank you for the reply.
I'd like to digitalize everything, probably with not so much restoration (deinterlace and crop maybe). Just want to do it better than my Sharp DVD that shows lots of MPEG artifacts, especially on low quality tapes.
I've read other topics as well on the forum and within the budget I've been able to grab a Sony Dcr-trv355e (for Video 8), a Matrox MXO2 capture card, a Panasonic ES15 as TBC replacement and I still have something (not so much probably) for a VHS, I'm still looking for it.
For betamax I'll just keep mine because it's still working and S-Video Betamax are extremely rare.
I think within my budget that's probably the best I could get, then when I have everything I'll have a look at software side.
05-05-2020, 08:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabri View Post
Hi,
thank you for the reply.
I'd like to digitalize everything, probably with not so much restoration (deinterlace and crop maybe). Just want to do it better than my Sharp DVD that shows lots of MPEG artifacts, especially on low quality tapes.
I've read other topics as well on the forum and within the budget I've been able to grab a Sony Dcr-trv355e (for Video 8), a Matrox MXO2 capture card, a Panasonic ES15 as TBC replacement and I still have something (not so much probably) for a VHS, I'm still looking for it.
For betamax I'll just keep mine because it's still working and S-Video Betamax are extremely rare.
I think within my budget that's probably the best I could get, then when I have everything I'll have a look at software side.
Matrox MXO2 capture card is much better then ati all in wonder cards for Pal signal better color and no Hanover bars at all and it does have some kind of internal TBC to but if the tape have macrovision copy protection then you get Blue picture

i have the Matrox MXO2 LE Max

Max = encoding files to H264 or realtime capture to H264

Max = in windows you can use VBR(variable bit rate) and CBR(constant bit rate)

Max = in Mac you have more options VBR(variable bit rate) and CBR(constant bit rate) and CQ(constant quality Lowest to Best)

but when i capture with Matrox MXO2 LE Max i capture to lossless codec like huffyuv and lagarith and ffv1

lately i have use VirtualDub2 and capture to FFV1 works very good

Last edited by jjdd; 05-05-2020 at 09:34 AM.
05-05-2020, 10:01 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Hi,
thank you for the reply.
Your Sharp DVD can be set to record 1 hour or 6 to 8 hours video/audio on 1 DVD, yes, there is difference between those settings, recording only 1 hour on 1 DVD will give good/better results, both with MPEG2 or MP4 you can have good results, the difference is: with MP4 you can get smaller files, with HEVC even smaller files, keeping the same quality. it's what you want.
Sometimes a DVD recorder will also have a HDD "onboard" which allows you to do some editing, without a pc,
This way you also avoid dropped frames, while capturing uncompressed, on a PC with slow storage, you have a big chance on dropped frames, compressing straight into MPEG2 will compensate slow storage, but will give significant loss when editing this material in post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdd View Post

Max = in Mac you have more options VBR(variable bit rate) and CBR(constant bit rate) and CQ(constant quality Lowest to Best)
Both in Windows and Mac you will have good options in that, maybe different use of codecs.
05-05-2020, 10:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
Both in Windows and Mac you will have good options in that, maybe different use of codecs.
yes and of course on Mac i can capture to Prores with my MXO2 LE Max

To connect the MXO2 Le Max to my Macbook Pro i use "Matrox MXO2 Thunderbolt Adapter" about 50$ on ebay and the adapter only works on Mac

for windows i have the "Matrox PCIe host adapter" and "Matrox ExpressCard/34 adapter"
05-05-2020, 10:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
yes and of course on Mac i can capture to Prores with my MXO2 LE Max

To connect the MXO2 Le Max to my Macbook Pro i use Matrox MXO2 Thunderbolt Adapter about 50 dollar on ebay
That's a nice device ! the Matrox MXO2 ! lots of options ! it does capture good quality ? When you capture with ProRes422, which do you use ? HQ, LT etc.. ?
05-05-2020, 10:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
That's a nice device ! the Matrox MXO2 ! lots of options ! it does capture good quality ? When you capture with ProRes422, which do you use ? HQ, LT etc.. ?
i capture to Prores 422

i did read this page https://larryjordan.com/articles/pic...ion-of-prores/ about Prores and i think Prores 422 is good enough for VHS capture so i do not use Prores 422HQ to capture
05-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Free Member

Quote:
i capture to Prores 422

i did read this page https://larryjordan.com/articles/pic...ion-of-prores/ about Prores and i think Prores 422 is good enough for VHS capture so i do not use Prores 422HQ to capture
Thanks for that link, i use even LT, but with some small characters i see some blur, i will step up to ProRes422 and see what this does, thanks !
05-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Thanks for that link, i use even LT, but with some small characters i see some blur, i will step up to ProRes422 and see what this does, thanks !
ok hehe
05-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Free Member

MXO2 LE MAX it's exactly what I got.
Looks to be the best compromise, I think I'll go lossless but it will be useful to have hardware H264 if I need for some friends or something else.
Nowdays it's quite cheap too, because it's not working on latest OSX and Windows 10 it's not officially supported (but seems to be working fine with Windows 8 drivers).
05-05-2020, 11:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
MXO2 LE MAX it's exactly what I got.
Looks to be the best compromise, I think I'll go lossless but it will be useful to have hardware H264 if I need for some friends or something else.
Nowdays it's quite cheap too, because it's not working on latest OSX and Windows 10 it's not officially supported (but seems to be working fine with Windows 8 drivers).
Yes there is one MXO2 LE MAX right now on ebay for 149 euro quite cheap but it does not have the adapter that you connect it to the computer "Matrox PCIe host adapter" or "Matrox ExpressCard/34 adapter" or "Matrox MXO2 Thunderbolt Adapter(ONLY MAC)" so that itīs about 50 euro more

i did read that it works on OSX El capitan to but itīs easy to do dual boot on Mac to run a older Mac OS

on my Macbook Pro 2012 i run dual boot Catalina and Mountain Lion
05-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Yes there is one MXO2 LE MAX right now on ebay for 149 euro quite cheap but it does not have the adapter that you conect it to the computer "Matrox PCIe host adapter" or "Matrox ExpressCard/34 adapter" or "Matrox MXO2 Thunderbolt Adapter(ONLY MAC)" so that itīs about 50 euro more
If i did not have my Intensity Shuttle, i bought the MXO2 LE MAX ! great device great options !
05-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
If i did not have my Intensity Shuttle, i bought the MXO2 LE MAX ! great device great options !

Ok i have Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 and Intensity Shuttle thunderbolt and Ati all in wonder 9000 and 9200 and 2006 edition and i have Aja IO HD and some other cards to hehe my first capture card was a dazzle that you connect to parallel port and i still have it i'm that kind of person when i once buy something i never get rid of it hehe I'm An Idiot

Last edited by jjdd; 05-05-2020 at 11:33 AM.
05-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Free Member

Just for curiosity (I've already purchased a MXO2) which one is the best from the ones that you have?
05-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Just for curiosity (I've already purchased a MXO2) which one is the best from the ones that you have?

i like Matrox MXO2 and AJA io HD the best for VHS and Video 8 Pal signal
maybe AJA io HD have more details in shadows but that can be the codec when i did last compare i did not have the adapter to MXO2 to conect it to a Mac so MXO2 capture was in windows huffyuv codec and Aja io HD was Mac Prores 422

but if itīs NTSC then i think Ati all in wonder cards are very close i think but i can not be sure because i do not have NTSC VCR or NTSC vhs tapes i have only test to capture NTSC dvds i have and that is not good test to compare

but for Pal signal vhs MXO2 and Aja io HD is better no Hanover bars and colors are better
exmple i did have one video8 tape that did have very bad Hanover bars and bad white balance white was yellowish when i did capture it with ati all in wonder card but the same tape with Matrox MXO2 no Hanover bars at all and white balance was good no yellowish
but of course that can be fixed with avisynth script

hmm last vhs captures i have done i did use VCR > Svideo_Cable > MXO2 > SDI_Cable > AJA IO HD

Last edited by jjdd; 05-05-2020 at 01:04 PM.
05-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Free Member

And Intensity Shuttle? I was tempted by it because it's still supported, but I guess it's a "consumer" card instead of the Matrox professional one
05-05-2020, 01:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
And Intensity Shuttle? I was tempted by it because it's still supported, but I guess it's a "consumer" card instead of the Matrox professional one
yes itīs not so good for VHS and quality not the best but it does not have any problem with Hanover bars like Ati all in wonder has with Pal signal
05-05-2020, 01:22 PM
Free Member

here you can see MXO2 Le Max and Aja Io HD shadow test

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...aja-io-hd.html

MXO2 Le Max = windows and lagarith codec capture
Aja IO HD = Mac Prores 422 capture

in that post i say that MXO2 Le Max do not have any Internal Proc AMP that i can adjust but on Mac and Final Cut 7 it does have Proc AMP that i can adjust when i go to "log and capture" so itīs posible to adjust proc amp before capture on MXO2

Last edited by jjdd; 05-05-2020 at 01:41 PM.