digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Choppy DV files? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10592-choppy-dv-files.html)

bryanfreschi 05-02-2020 02:12 PM

Choppy DV files?

1 Attachment(s)
A few years ago, I transferred all of my home videos from my camcorder (miniDV tapes) to my Mac. I don't remember which software I used to transfer t he videos, and I do not have the tapes any more. Some of the DV files play fine in QuickTime, but others are choppy, and they seem sped up. Is there any way to save these videos, and make them play normally again?

I know there a lot of factors, but being that I am not a professional on the topic, I don't really know where to start on a project like this. I have attached a converted MP4 file so you can see what I am talking about

Thank you for anything you can give me,

Bryan

sanlyn 05-02-2020 03:51 PM

Didn't you post that these were miniDV files?. Why are they mp4's encoded with AVC-1? Where are the originals? How were the original MiniDV files copied (not encoded) to your Mac?

bryanfreschi 05-03-2020 02:44 PM

Re: Choppy DV Files

Sanlyn,
I have the .dv files on my Mac. Some of them play fine, the others are choppy. I was not able to upload any of them to this post, because it was giving me an error. Here is a link to the file in my Google Drive folder.

A few years ago, I used some software (possibly Aimersoft Video Transfer Software) that transferred the .dv files to my mac. I cannot say for sure that is what I used, and I do not have the tapes anymore.

Thank you for your reply!
Bryan

latreche34 05-03-2020 05:07 PM

I believe what happened (and it's a hunch) that the capture software was not compatible with 32Khz/12Bit audio tracks so it locked the whole capture to the 32Khz audio speed, Some NLE software can slow down the video speed but I would not recommend it since it re-encodes the frames, use as last resort. But I believe there is a less invasive way of re-clocking the video without further damage to the video, You may have to head over to videohelp, there are some coders out there that can sort this stuff out.

bryanfreschi 05-04-2020 05:59 PM

Thank you latreche34. More than half of the videos that I transferred this way play normally. Both of the videos (the ones that play normally and the ones that are sped up) came from the same camcorder and were transferred with the same software. Is what you said still a possibility?

I am not sure what "head over to videohelp" means. Is that a website, or another section of this site?

Thank you for trying to help me!

Bryan

latreche34 05-04-2020 11:37 PM

What is the audio sampling rate on the videos that play normally? Yes videohelp.com has a capture section, It is always good to post in both forums although they do share some members like myself but there is always stuff that you can get help better over there and vise versa.