05-19-2020, 11:38 AM
Free Member

Hi admin,
I'm trying to properly install the ATI AIW 9600XT. I downloaded the "ATI All-In-Wonder Setup (180-V01084-100)" from another thread, I installed it. Then I download the catalyst 6.11 and then tried to install it. However, I came across this error message saying: "Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software". Could you please give me some tips so that I can solve this issue and move forwards? I'd appreciate your response. Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-20-2020, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

Ralpphilz,

You shouldn't need to install cat 6.11 at all. Assuming it's complete, the needed drivers should all be included in the 180-V01084-100 iso. See post 20 here.

Install just the display drivers first, then the rest. I never hurts to do things a step at a time, and you don't need to install everything that comes on the iso/CD.

See post 163 here.

You will have to uninstall all ATI stuff loaded so far to get the correct drivers to load properly. There may/should be an "uninstall" ATI drivers selection available in the "uninstall software" section under control panel somewhere (I don't have an XP machine up to check right now.) Basically, uninstall everything ATI and then do it again (search for and run AticimUn.exe a couple times). I usually put that exe in a separate "utilities" directory early in a "build" so I can access it whenever I might need it.

Also, let us know more details of your system: motherboard, XP version and SP level, etc. That may have an effect on driver installations. If the 180-V01084-100 iso stuff won't load and run, you may need more MS updates installed (.NET 2.0, etc.). I can't say for sure...

BW
The following users thank BW37 for this useful post: Ralpphilz (05-20-2020)
05-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW37 View Post
Ralpphilz,

You shouldn't need to install cat 6.11 at all. Assuming it's complete, the needed drivers should all be included in the 180-V01084-100 iso. See post 20 here.

Install just the display drivers first, then the rest. I never hurts to do things a step at a time, and you don't need to install everything that comes on the iso/CD.

See post 163 here.

You will have to uninstall all ATI stuff loaded so far to get the correct drivers to load properly. There may/should be an "uninstall" ATI drivers selection available in the "uninstall software" section under control panel somewhere (I don't have an XP machine up to check right now.) Basically, uninstall everything ATI and then do it again (search for and run AticimUn.exe a couple times). I usually put that exe in a separate "utilities" directory early in a "build" so I can access it whenever I might need it.

Also, let us know more details of your system: motherboard, XP version and SP level, etc. That may have an effect on driver installations. If the 180-V01084-100 iso stuff won't load and run, you may need more MS updates installed (.NET 2.0, etc.). I can't say for sure...

BW
I appreciate your response. I forgot to say that if I plug the ATI AIW 9600XT card into the tower, and hit the power button to boot the system, the system is NOT turned on. The desktop monitor then goes black completely. What do you think I should do to fix this issue?
Here are the specs of my current system:

AcerPower S285
Pentium 4, CPU 3.06 Ghz Processor
1TB SATA Hard Drive
2GB memory
WinXP Service Pack 3 installed
05-20-2020, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Just a quick reply for now.

I think the main problem you are having is that you are connecting the monitor to the wrong VGA port. Once you install the 9600, you need to hook up the monitor to it, not the motherboard.

Like most system makers, Acer seems to have used that model number for a series of actual models. Still, it looks like it has "built in" graphics (a VGA port on the back before you install the 9600). You won't be using that at all, in fact you may need to disable it in the bios. The fact that the screen goes black when you plug in the 9600 is probably a good sign but we'll see. If you haven't, it would probably be helpful to download the manual for your exact PC from Acer. That will help.

Anyway, after installing the 9600 in the AGP slot, hook up the monitor to one of the vga connections on the "dongle/adapter.squid" (shown here) that you should have installed into the big 29 pin connector on the 9600. Then try rebooting the system. If it boots and you see things on the screen you are on your way. If Windows tries to automatically install drivers for the "new hardware" is has detected, stop it if you can. This is when you would install the drivers from the 180-V01084-100 iso or CD. If you can't stop it from automatically installing it's own 9600 drivers, don't panic. It might work fine with them. I think I'd at least try the MS installed display driver and go ahead and install the rest of the ATI package (leaving the Windows installed display driver for now). If that gives you trouble then you'll need to run AticimUn.exe a couple times. and then try to install everything (needed) from the iso/CD. AticimUn.exe should be in the root directory of CD.

Ideally, once you've got it working with the 9600 as the display adapter, you would do as near to a complete (but minimal) reinstall of WinXP as possible, controlling what the windows installer installed and adding only the software you were going to use. This would give you the best long term stability of the system, but it takes some work. Alternately you can try to make it work by adding/patching to the current installation as discussed above, that might be fine so worth a try.

Another question: Which exact OS is intalled: XP Pro SP3, XP Home SP3 or XP MC 2005 (Media Center 2005 version of XP)? This info might be needed to help further.

BW
05-20-2020, 04:31 PM
Free Member

I totally forgot about the breakout cables that came with the 9600XT. After doing exactly what you instructed, I have successfully made it work.
The system is running on Winxp Service pack 3, year 2006.
I already got the "180-V01084-100 iso" file downloaded and extracted. This is what I did previously after I extracted the contents from this 180 iso file. I double clicked on the "Atisetup.exe", then another red window opens with "Install->Documentation->some other options entails I don't remember". Is this the way I supposed to do? Or I should go to
"install" FOLDER->Driver -> setup.exe ?
I'm sorry I'm pretty dumb at this. Thank you so much for helping me.
05-20-2020, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Here's some discussion of what to install and not to install. You need to install at least some of MMC for MPEG-2 captures, TV for sure since the analog capture function is a subset of this. I'm not sure there was ever both an ATI Control Center AND a Catalyst Control Center for any integrated installation. Probably just the latter for your installation.

Are you installing from a CD made from the iso or direct from the iso files in a directory on your HD? If the former, just running Atisetup.exe from the CD should work. Then do a custom installation and choose what to install. If running from a directory on your HD it still might work if the directory structure is the same as within the iso, but I'm not sure about this. Either way there will be some reboots required along the way.

Still curious as to whether your XP version includes Media Center or not. If so there will be things to uninstall and/or disable to keep them from interfering with the ATI capture processes. There will still be other things to turn off within Windows itself even if it is XP Pro or Home, but that can be after you get the ATI stuff installed and operational.

BW
05-20-2020, 07:20 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Here's some discussion of what to install and not to install. You need to install at least some of MMC for MPEG-2 captures, TV for sure since the analog capture function is a subset of this. I'm not sure there was ever both an ATI Control Center AND a Catalyst Control Center for any integrated installation. Probably just the latter for your installation.

Are you installing from a CD made from the iso or direct from the iso files in a directory on your HD? If the former, just running Atisetup.exe from the CD should work. Then do a custom installation and choose what to install. If running from a directory on your HD it still might work if the directory structure is the same as within the iso, but I'm not sure about this. Either way there will be some reboots required along the way.

Still curious as to whether your XP version includes Media Center or not. If so there will be things to uninstall and/or disable to keep them from interfering with the ATI capture processes. There will still be other things to turn off within Windows itself even if it is XP Pro or Home, but that can be after you get the ATI stuff installed and operational.

BW
I'm downloaded the cd iso file from within this forum. The 180-V01084-100 iso. I'm in the process of personalizing the setting of ATI. However, I don't see items such as WMD drivers, Catylyst control center, and ATI control panel. None of these three shows in the drop-down list. Please see the attached picture.

Where do I find out if my XP professional version includes Media Center or not? Please advise.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DROP DOWN LIST.jpg (60.7 KB, 5 downloads)
05-20-2020, 07:54 PM
Free Member

I think I have successfully installed the program. I also installed the Huffyuv codecs as well as the the virtualdub. I opened Virtualdub and i see it lists ATI Theatre Rage 200 in the "device" tab, which I believe that means I'm successful. I don't see the MMC anywhere. At this point, what do you suggest me install/run? MMC from this post
[/URL] http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide....html#post9468
05-20-2020, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Win XP Pro won't have Media Center. That's a plus

Install the Multimedia drivers (those are the WMDs) and MMC. I think you'll have more choices to make as part of the MMC install.
The following users thank BW37 for this useful post: Ralpphilz (05-21-2020)
05-20-2020, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

The MMC installation should have installed a "TV" application, maybe adding a Desktop shortcut, maybe not. That's the part of MMC that will let you capture MPEG-2 files.

VirtualDub is totally separate and just needs the WMDs to work.
05-21-2020, 03:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The MMC installation should have installed a "TV" application, maybe adding a Desktop shortcut, maybe not. That's the part of MMC that will let you capture MPEG-2 files.

VirtualDub is totally separate and just needs the WMDs to work.
I have gotten almost everything sorted out nicely except for the audio in. I am having trouble capturing audio. I selected " audio source-> Audio Line" and for the "audio input" I select each individually namely "Mono mix, stereo mix, aux, cd player, line-in, phone in..". However, none of them works even though I do see the volume meter positively reflects moments of the sound.
I researched and found out that many others had the same issue I'm experiencing and no results were sought. I came across this section posted by Lm I believe. In my understanding, he suggests ATI users use a SoundBlaster card, not the onboard card. I'm wondering if this is the cause of this audio issue I'm having? Could you share any helpful tips with me? Thank you so much.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...e-ati-mpeg.htm
05-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

Ahhhh, AIW audio connections, etc. The subject of many a discussion...

Note that with some sound card set-ups, you cannot monitor the sound while virtualDub is capturing. It depends on the sound card's design. That may be the issue. You do not want to turn on "Enable audio playback" in virtualDub. That will cause problems in capturing.

Still, I'm a bit confused that you are seeing the sound meter moving but are getting no recorded sound in VirtualDub. I've experienced it too but it seemed to be media player problem. The sound was there, it just didn't play in VLC. Later it played fine

But lets'start from the beginning.

A separate sound card is definitely recommended for best results both for sound quality and for minimum dropped frames and other capture issues. However, you should be able to make the system "work" using the onboard sound, at least to try it out. Sometimes it works well enough but it seems to be system specific. Most often a separate sound card is better or even required for good captures. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz seems to be the consensus choice. They are generally available on eBay and seem hardy enough that they usually just work but no guarantees... Prices vary from <$20 to $35-40 or more if you are impatient

To try the onboard sound:

First you need to make sure the "on-board audio/sound" is enabled in the BIOS and the drivers are installed. If you know you have sound functionality you can ignore the rest of this paragraph. Otherwise, connect your sound monitoring device (speakers or headphones) to the green connector on the motherboard. Then try to just play a .wav file or something from any media player. If it plays, your sound drivers are installed. Windows may have installed them automatically. If you have no sound output, the on-board sound may have been disabled in the BIOS. Check that first. Once it is enabled, you will need to install the drivers. Windows might install them automatically or you will need to download them from Acer support.

Next you need to connect the AIW 9600 to the line-in on the sound "card" of the on-board sound on the motherboard. Connect the black 3.5mm stereo mini jack on the big AIW output dongle/squid to the blue "line-in" connector on the motherboard. There are other connection options, but this is the most straightforward. This connection will direct the audio from the purple "inputs" block, through the AIW and to the sound "card" line-in. See the file "AW9600Pr.pdf" in your 180-V01084-100 iso in the "ONLINE/English" directory. It shows the connections for the AIW 9600.

From here you should be able to follow the guide you linked for MMC use or Sanlyn's guide (below) for VirtualDub. Some like to use Windows built in sound controls (as shown in the guide), others like to use the full "sound card" software controls to do the same thing. Basically you need to make sure that the monitoring device (speakers or headphones) is the output device and "line-in" is the "record" input device. Only then you can access them in VirtualDub.

For using v-Dub it's best to use Sanlyn's guide for VirtualDub set-up and debugging, post #5 for audio specifics. Substitute your sound card's name for the the "SB Audigy" he shows.

BW

PS: Sorry for the rambling nature of the above. Hopefully, it will make sense...
PPS: For all of this, getting familiar with "Device Manager" in Windows is very helpful. It will show you what devices are installed and working and what drivers they are using, etc.
05-21-2020, 03:10 PM
Free Member

Hi BW37,
I was so clumsy and dumb not to even see the audio cable attached to the 9600XT breakout cables. I made it work perfectly. Now, I'm trying to get the Avisynth to work. I followed this tutorial that I believe to be very helpful and comprehensive in terms of instructing newbies to Avisynth like me from where to download stuff and how to install the downloaded contents..etc. I downloaded the Avisynth+ and all the other plugins this gentleman suggested in his tutorial. After having completed all the tasks, I created a "test.avs" file and I tried to choose the AvsPmode as a default program to always open such the extension. However, I got the [126] error saying "the specified module could not be found. Loading avisynth.dll failed! Make sure that Avisynth is installed. Alternatively, specify now its directory". I messaged Swan, the guy who did the youtube tutorial. He told me to download the Avsmeter, after extracting the contents, I right-click on the blank area of the folder that I extracted the program binaries to with SHIFT held down, then click on "Open Powershell window here" and enter the command line "avsmeter avsinfo". I tried all that, but I don't see the "open PowerShell window" when I right-click. I don't know it is because of the winxp I'm using or because I did something wrong. Have you ever come across such an error like this? If you know anything, please throw it at me. Thank you