05-22-2020, 01:09 PM
Free Member

Hi!
I have found the Panasonic NV-HS1000 and JVC HR-S7600VCRs for sale, from two reputable ebay shops. They are sold 290 and 250 euros respectively. After searched the forum, I have seen that they are both great VCRs. Both sellers are reputable ebay shops.

Does anyone have opinion about which one to choose?

A concern I have about the JVC one, is the it has Dynamic Drum and I have read in the forum that since there are no spare parts, it is a risky point for buying one nowadays.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-23-2020, 08:32 AM
Free Member

The PAL 7600 does not have the dynamic drum. The JVC HR-S8600 is the closest analogue to the NTSC 7600.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-25-2020)
05-24-2020, 05:04 AM
Free Member

Thank you for the information.
Regarding the comparison with the Panasonic, are they of similar quality, in regards to playback ?

-- merged --

I would like to add another piece of information: the Panasonic vcr, is also sold with 1 year of guarantee. The JVC one, with only the 14 days of trial, from eBay.

I think the guarantee of 1 year, shows that the seller is more confident to his refurbishing work, what do you guys think?
05-25-2020, 04:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
JVC and Panasonic are different, and JVC is what I suggest as your main VCR.

Only the Panasonic as needed.

Panasonics have many more issues to contend with, while the JVCs can be easier to use and repair. I like the quality of both JVC and Panasonic, but the Panasonic repairs make those decks a nuisance. My preference is always to get JVC first, and a Panasonic second. And then you must baby that Panasonic, for fear that it just decides to quit working. Anything can set it off, be it an imperfect tape or a minor power surge (noting that you should ALWAYS keep VCRs on a UPS, but I refer to the simple act of plugging/unplugging the unit).

A few dollars in price difference won't sway me from this advice. It's not about price.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-25-2020, 05:57 AM
Free Member

If I had to make a decision between the two vcrs I would choose the Panasonic.

I never like the blurry picture of the jvc hr-s7600. The panasonic picture is much more noisy but if I'm honest I wouldn't buy the panasonic or the jvc. Both recordrs are PAL devices so i think you are at home in europe?

There are better video recorders out there it also depends on your tbc and your capture card which one to choose.
If you will use the panasonic dvd-recorder es10 as tbc replacement you could buy players without tbc.
The following users thank Bogilein for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-25-2020)
05-25-2020, 06:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
I never like the blurry picture of the jvc hr-s7600. The panasonic picture is much more noisy
That becomes a conversation about noise vs. detail. Actual detail. Panasonic false sharpens by default, has halos on objects. And the result is noise, unless tuned down, closer to the JVC. There is more "detail" possible in VHS, but only by pumping up values that increase false values as well.

Quote:
If you will use the panasonic dvd-recorder es10 as tbc replacement you could buy players without tbc.
Yes and no. You want a deck with a stable transport, god heads, etc. And that's still the recommended decks, though you can somewhat expand the list to known-good non-TBC models. And some of those are also in the recommended VCR list (and I'll be adding some more in the near future).

05-25-2020, 07:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
That becomes a conversation about noise vs. detail. Actual detail. Panasonic false sharpens by default, has halos on objects. And the result is noise.

You want a deck with a stable transport, god heads, etc. .
I saw comparisons between jvc and pansonic with wallpapers and faces where the details had completely disappeared when playing with the jvc.

The panasonic HS-1000 is the most noisy player I know. That's why I wouldn't buy it either. I would only recommend him to watch movies on tv.

I keep repeating myself but the most recommended panasonic device is the Panasonic FS200 and from JVC the HR-S9600 on the german market. There are identical designs with less equipment but similar good properties. (For example Panasonic FS-88, Blaupunkt RTV925, Blaupunkt RTV950, JVC HR-8600, Philips VR1500 to list a few).

If you can read german-language repair forums you would know that the JVC HR-S7600 recorders on german market are well known to eat tapes sometimes and these machines are now 21 years old.

Anyone who has ever held a panasonic hs1000 and a jvc hr-s 7600 in their hands is a comparison between a heavyweight and a lightweight.

Another rule that you can roughly follow about the pansonic vcr's. Panasonics were the tape deck is on the left side are good ones, panasonics were the tape deck is in the middle stay away (except HS900, hS950 and HS1000, AG4700).

When buying, also note that there are no more spare parts for the dynamic drum from the jvc.

There are good reasons and models to buy a Panasonic video recorder and there are also good reasons to buy a jvc.
Best of both brands.

See also my forum contribution:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...g-capture.html
The following users thank Bogilein for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-25-2020)
05-25-2020, 08:16 AM
Free Member

I've also found the JVCs I've tried (PAL) to be a bit overly soft/blurry at times, generally it's okay if using edit/distinct picture setting (or edit on on 8500, this one and the related hi-fi model I got are especially soft). Auto is sometimes fine, but I tend to avoid it. Maybe the noise reduction/picture EQ is more agressive for PAL than NTSC. I've also found the TBC on mine to be unusable on many tapes due to excessive vertical jittering (here the 8500 is a bit better than the newer ones), but maybe I've just been unlucky with the ones I got.

The older panasonics do have the issue of aging capacitors on the other hand, so be careful with ones that have not been serviced unless you are prepared to service them yourself.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-25-2020), michelhammamet (06-19-2021)
05-25-2020, 05:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
I saw comparisons between jvc and pansonic with wallpapers and faces where the details had completely disappeared when playing with the jvc.
If you do enough tapes, you see it go both ways. Panasonic can be softer, more tracking issue, more tape dropout/static, etc. JVC and Panasonic are just different, neither is better. I prefer the image quality of the JVCs, and the build quality. The JVC has proven itself to be the best first line of defense for tape projects, with the Panasonic doing whatever the JVC cannot (and for tapes neither can do, it gets interesting).

For sharpness nazis, I've actually found a plain VHS/DVD combo deck that is sharper than the Panasonics, but with far less halos! Of course, it must be paired with ES10/15, and that has some drawbacks. Also not the greatest at tracking non-SP.

Quote:
I keep repeating myself but the most recommended panasonic device is the Panasonic FS200 and from JVC the HR-S9600 on the german market.
No disagreement here.

My only concern about that exact JVC is the DD, which has been failing in recent years. It really needs to be inspected carefully, and have burn-in testing, to know if the DD is any good. Many are not. Still no parts if the unit ever breaks, but we are getting closer (latreche was looking into casting ideas, and I as well).

Quote:
If you can read german-language repair forums you would know that the JVC HR-S7600 recorders on german market are well known to eat tapes sometimes and these machines are now 21 years old.
Which exact tapes? Remember that VHS-C are not suggested in JVCs (with few exceptions, certain EOL decks; all rules have exceptions!).

Quote:
Another rule that you can roughly follow about the pansonic vcr's. Panasonics were the tape deck is on the left side are good ones, panasonics were the tape deck is in the middle stay away (except HS900, hS950 and HS1000, AG4700).
Neat rule. I must remember that.

Quote:
When buying, also note that there are no more spare parts for the dynamic drum from the jvc.
We're trying.

My other hobby is toys (action figures), and there is a large community for customizations. I've not yet had time, but I want to make some contacts, maybe call in favors, or owe new ones, and try to get some parts custom casted. I need to get with latreche on this more sometime, see if he can give me some CAD designs for what is needed. 3D printers are out, materials are too brittle. But for those same reasons, toy customizers often don't use 3D printers either.

05-25-2020, 08:48 PM
Free Member

I've covered this numerous times, The problem with the DD system is that even if you can get the gears, the alignment is not covered in any JVC service manual, I've kind found a way to determine the neutral position by experimenting with the few decks I have but it remains to be seen how it performs in real life challenges with all sorts of tapes if a gear were to be replaced (I don't want to miss align a working deck for this purpose).

As I mentioned before the DD system is not needed for playback, therefore not needed for capturing and I managed to disable it in one of my working machines as well as one of the members here that I guided thru the procedure and he confirmed that the mod worked for every tape he had, so that's good news, I will update the mod thread here later, I keep forgetting.

What it will be nice is if I can manage to manually control the DD system in case if it is still working from an external potentiometer to make advanced tracking adjustment for stretched, shrunk, odd speed tapes or tapes recorded on miss aligned VCR's but knowing the fact that every VCR with a DD system will eventually fail makes me don't want to even try.

To address LS note about gears, they can also be machined from brass, we should get in contact with some of those clock repair shops with miniature lathe.
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-25-2020)